• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fastest Player

Who is Fastest??

• Total voters
<div class='quotemain'> don't u mean daisuke ohata? that guy has the record for most tries in test matches. more scored than campese i almost half as many matches [/b]

Yeah thats all good and all but he would of been playing lower grade teams where as Campese would of face the likes of the All Blacks and Springboks.

I watched a video from a few years ago and flippin Cullen was quick Caucau got a runaway but Cullen caught him so if he was still at his prime I'd vote for Cullen just for that play.

[/b][/quote]

nevertheless he stil scored more than campese in half as many matches. after all japan is a **** team too. he broke the record by scoring a hat trick against georgia last year.

found this on youtube thought it could be worth a watch

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p93mxSU2bJc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p93mxSU2bJc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

looks rather quick to me, but its difficult to judge whos the fastest as rarely will you see two of these players running head to head, although still rate taits pace and acceleration above habana, even if habana is a better all round player at the moment

From what I've seen (which doesn't include Super 14 but internationals and European rugby), the fastest is either Habana or Varndell.

I guess it all depends on how you define quick? Quick over 20 yards? 50? 100?

Having seen Varndell live i have to say he's pretty damm quick. Habana looks well quick on tv aswell. Don't really know enough about it to make an informed decision.

Here's a few quotes from some "research" I did on this topic...

Chavangha's fastest time i can find was a 10.5s run. He has never recorded a legal 10.01 or even close to it.

Nigel Walker (Ex Welsh wing and olympic hurdler) holds the fastest official time of 10.35s electric timing.

Sosene Anesi was stated by Gordon Tietjens (NZ Seven guru) as the fastest hes ever coached. Thats pretty good considering hes had the likes of Cullen, Rokocoko, Muliaina, Roger Randle, Brad Fleming & co at his disposal.

Anesi was timed at 4.53s for a standing start 40m sprint, which is unprecedented speed, as rocokoko could only manage 4.66s.
As a junior he ran a 10.6s 100m in Samoa.

Doug Howlett clocked 10.8 seconds while he was still at school, i.e. before he became a professional, training athlete, so not sure how much faster he has got, but he admits Joe Rokocoko is slightly faster, so they gotta be right up there...

Over shorter distances guys like J.Robinson, Brent Russell and Shane Williams would also have to be considered.

I do think if you are talking about pure rugby speed i.e. accelerating from say walking/jogging over 25meters then I think you are hard pushed to find any1 much quicker than Jason Robinson a few years back.

Hey Tin Head how do you post videos on here like what you just did with Chavanga??

howletts not the same when he first came into the ABs scene where he was utterly fast!

Wasn't Chavanga the fastest player in super 12 or super 14 a couple years back? Soseni is the quickest in NZ and Chavanga the fastest in the whole comp.

I'd love to see him at the WC

Doug Howlett clocked 10.8 seconds while he was still at school, i.e. before he became a professional, training athlete, so not sure how much faster he has got, but he admits Joe Rokocoko is slightly faster, so they gotta be right up there...
[/b]

Wow thats news to me. When Dougie first joined the ABs i assumed he was the fastest in terms of overall speed while Coco had the edge in acceleration. Dougie is not as fast as he used to be though i think hes lost acceleration imo.

in terms of footspeed I'd say varndell and JR win it. varndell ain't a great all around player but that guy is lightning. Habana combines a smarter rugby mind than varndell's with a true 100m sprinter's form. if you're looking at short acceleration, look no further than matt giteau who has an incredible acceleration to break the line. It's all different kinds of speed really.

talking about acceleration, what about nick evans? lightning quick at 1st 5, one of the best exploiters of the gaps

i've seen varndell live and he is pretty darn quick. pity he hasnt assimilated to top flight rugby just yet. hes on loan to some **** club now isnt he?

Still voting for Habana, because he has some very serious pace
[/b]
I agree mate, that man is grease lightning. Also Shane Williams from Wales has got some serious pace.

Latest posts