• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fastest Player

Who is Fastest??

• Total voters
Those times are very doubtful... i cant say i beleive them. Chavaga said himself that the fastest he ever ran when he was training fulltime as a sprinter was 10.5, and we have no way of knowing whether that was in competition or in practice or with handheld timing or what.

I dont beleive this Ojiambo character can run 10.5 for a moment either. You do realise that would make him tied for the 10th fastest man in South Africa right? faster than professional train everyday sprinters?

Rod Davies ran 10.8 in competition and won the Australian schools sprint ***le. I would bank on him over Ojiambos dodgy claims anyday.

Well i know for a fact that one of The SHarks youngsters Sithole runs 10.5 and he still gets burnt on the outside...i know him personally. Ojiambo runs 40m at around 4.8..fact and he is a tall and heavy guy.

Those times are very doubtful... i cant say i beleive them. Chavaga said himself that the fastest he ever ran when he was training fulltime as a sprinter was 10.5, and we have no way of knowing whether that was in competition or in practice or with handheld timing or what.

I dont beleive this Ojiambo character can run 10.5 for a moment either. You do realise that would make him tied for the 10th fastest man in South Africa right? faster than professional train everyday sprinters?

Rod Davies ran 10.8 in competition and won the Australian schools sprint ***le. I would bank on him over Ojiambos dodgy claims anyday.

10.8...i a pretty sure we could find at least 20 guys in SA rugby that run under that time easily...always young under 20's every year that can run around 10.6...

Ngwenya all the way. He has an unbelievable amount of pace on him.

What his 100m time...pretty sure it is not under 10.5

Actually Davies personal best is 10.4, but commentators keep saying his best is 10.6 which isn't correct.

Well i know for a fact that one of The SHarks youngsters Sithole runs 10.5 and he still gets burnt on the outside...i know him personally. Ojiambo runs 40m at around 4.8..fact and he is a tall and heavy guy.

Could i ask where you are getting these times from? It sounds like chinese whispers to me. Also, even if this guy does miraculously run 10.5, just because he gets burnt on the outside sometimes doesn't mean everyone he plays against is an olympic level sprinter..

You do realise that on the 2010 list of the 10 fastest times registered in the entire country of South Africa BY REAL FULLTIME PROFESSIONAL SPRINTERS; that the time of 10.5 would make you the 10th fastest man in the entire country?

10.8...i a pretty sure we could find at least 20 guys in SA rugby that run under that time easily...always young under 20's every year that can run around 10.6...

Is that right mate? It seems that if you were under 20 and ran 10.6 then you would be the second fastest youth in the entire country of South Africa!
These times you say are completely made up. Just because someone looks fast on a rugby pitch doesnt mean you can assign a random low 100m time to them and pass it off as fact.

Rod Davies was an actual sprinter, who has a PB for the 100m recognised by offical athletic associations. If there are so many of these rugby players that could instantly walk into the South African Olympic team, show me some facts.

I went to school with Davies, year after year watching him destroy the GPS Track and Field teams in the 100m.

Could i ask where you are getting these times from? It sounds like chinese whispers to me. Also, even if this guy does miraculously run 10.5, just because he gets burnt on the outside sometimes doesn't mean everyone he plays against is an olympic level sprinter..

You do realise that on the 2010 list of the 10 fastest times registered in the entire country of South Africa BY REAL FULLTIME PROFESSIONAL SPRINTERS; that the time of 10.5 would make you the 10th fastest man in the entire country?

Is that right mate? It seems that if you were under 20 and ran 10.6 then you would be the second fastest youth in the entire country of South Africa!
These times you say are completely made up. Just because someone looks fast on a rugby pitch doesnt mean you can assign a random low 100m time to them and pass it off as fact.

Rod Davies was an actual sprinter, who has a PB for the 100m recognised by offical athletic associations. If there are so many of these rugby players that could instantly walk into the South African Olympic team, show me some facts.

It's my biggest gripe with these threads. People take a wild guess at how quick people are, and they're often miles off. These are professional rugby players, not olympic sprinters. More often than not their 20kgs heavier than an average olympic sprinter. Usain Bolt is 6'5'' but only 80kgs. In rugby league, there was a rugby sprinting event, in which some of the fastest players in rugby league, and two rugby union players (Lachie Turner won the thing), and none of them got anywhere near breaking 11 seconds -

Here is Rodney Davies 100m - I can't find his time though.

According to USA Rugby website, Ngwenya ran a 100m in 10.5 seconds in highschool, however I'm skeptical if this was recorded properlly if true at all - http://web.usarugby.org/cgi-bin/viadesto/natteams/mnt/15ProfileDetail.pl?playerId=379

In terms of the fastest person to play rugby, it goes to someone who I don't believe has even made his international debut for the USA 7's team yet. Dallas Robinson runs the 200m in 21.25 seconds and 60m in 6.74 seconds at the Razorback Invitational. I can't find a recorded 100m, but he is 6'5'' and 100kgs which is huge for a white sprinter. He joined the USA 7's team in 2008, but has had a lot of injuries since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick, I believe that was the 2006 GPS track and field open 100m.
I have my yearbook here, and it says Davies ran 10.81 then.
In the 200m sprint he ran 22.24 and came 3rd.

In 2005 he came 4th in the 100m Open spring and ran 11.07
in the 200m he ran 22.26 and came 4th

Last edited:
Nick, I believe that was the 2006 GPS track and field open 100m.
I have my yearbook here, and He ran 10.81 then.
In the 200m sprint he ran 22.24 and came 3rd.

Wow, not bad at all. He looked very quick during the S14, so I can't wait to see what I he do. Any idea why he wasn't played at all on the EoYT?

He scored this against the Canes before he was injured. The guy he burned was Cory Jane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6y1zEuxqo

And earlier against the Crusaders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJdueoWsPc&feature=related

Last edited:
Wow, not bad at all. He looked very quick during the S14, so I can't wait to see what I he do. Any idea why he wasn't played at all on the EoYT?

He scored this against the Canes before he was injured. The guy he burned was Cory Jane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6y1zEuxqo

And earlier against the Crusaders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJdueoWsPc&feature=related

Davies hamstring was still giving him trouble at the end of the year, I am trying to find my 2004 year book to get his times, He was in the track and field team in 2003 but didn't rack up any wins.

Fastest Player: Is this based on 100m straight line with no rugby kits on? Or with ball in hand with kits on? Running on track or grass?

Running on grass? Sounds like people running after smoking some good green stuff haha.

But it's a valid question. Running 100 metres in a straight line is nothing useful in rugby. Running 100 metres and passing defenders is much more effective. In that case, the answer would be more difficult than you might think

Running on grass? Sounds like people running after smoking some good green stuff haha.

But it's a valid question. Running 100 metres in a straight line is nothing useful in rugby. Running 100 metres and passing defenders is much more effective. In that case, the answer would be more difficult than you might think

Fastest player is obviously Shane Williams or Francois Hougaard then :p

Latest posts