• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA World Rankings

Fifa has announced an overhaul of its world ranking system after complaints that it was too complicated.

The main change is that a national team's ranking will be based on results from the last four years, not eight.

Goals scored and home advantage will no longer have any bearing on placings and other aspects, including importance and strength of matches, have been revised.

The changes will come into effect after the World Cup ends on Sunday, with the first new rankings revealed on 12 July.[/b]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...006/5156164.stm

This is the news on the New ranking system, to try and make it easier and less complicated.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jul 12 2006, 10:21 PM
harder group

lol

weve got germany,czech and republic of ireland
Not quite sure what your saying Loratadine....are you saying your group is harder? Cause if you are I will come down to Wales and slap you.

Germany should win that group. But the Czech seems to be falling apart, and you might fancy taking a few points off of the Irish. Play-off target seems realistic for Wales, but it will be very hard for you guys.

you can say that again.

but if wales can nick a point away against thew czechs in the first game. then who knows?

So can someone explain the greec ban to me, why it appeared and disappeared without me knowing?

BM

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 13 2006, 05:47 PM
The simple method should be for the top two teams in Oceania to qualify for the second phase of the Asian Confederation.

This would allow more Oceanian teams to have at least a chance of playing more meaningful games.  Australia would virtually guarantee that they would one of the two places and even though New Zealand would be favourites for the other spot it would give heart to the other nations that they might be able to pull off an upset.

Australia did the dirty on Oceania by not negotiating something like this.  It would have been easy for them to do this and it would have been the first time that Australia proactively did something for Oceania.  Instead they just thought about themselves and stuff Oceania.  Real nice!
Well actually, I tend to disagree.

Australia left to give the other teams a chance of getting in (from Oceania). I swear! :D Be that as it may, I still think the FIFA Qualifying system sucks in that the top-ranked Oceania team still has to go through a Repechage. I feel your idea of advancing the Top 2 to the second phase of the Asian Confederation, is the far smarter one and will undoubtably enable the game to grow further than what it already has.

But of course FIFA would say NO! If they had their way only the original members (France, Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) would be included, because tradition is the KEY in soccer....

..................... or rather - FOOTBALL.

Greece were suspended cause their government is involved with the running of their FA. FIFA seem to think that they are higher than a soverign government and suspended the Greek FA. Apparantly, the Government cannot interefere with the FA of a country, which is why the Executive never bothers with the SFA. Well, actually that's cause it's pants.

But of course FIFA would say NO! If they had their way only the original members (France, Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) would be included, because tradition is the KEY in soccer....
[/b]

FIFA is not the IRB. There's no privileged member. Nowadays even the World champion has to go through the qualification stage.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Jul 19 2006, 11:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

FIFA is not the IRB. There's no privileged member. Nowadays even the World champion has to go through the qualification stage. [/b][/quote]
It has nothing to with privilege that the current world champion has to qualify for the world cup.

Rather it has to do with how poor France was during the 2002 tournament and their lack of meaningful competitive games they had prior to the tournament.

Originally posted by BigTen+Jul 20 2006, 07:17 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DonBilly
@Jul 19 2006, 11:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>But of course FIFA would say NO! If they had their way only the original members (France, Belgium, Denmark, Holland, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) would be included, because tradition is the KEY in soccer....

FIFA is not the IRB. There's no privileged member. Nowadays even the World champion has to go through the qualification stage. [/b][/quote]
It has nothing to with privilege that the current world champion has to qualify for the world cup.

Rather it has to do with how poor France was during the 2002 tournament and their lack of meaningful competitive games they had prior to the tournament. [/b][/quote]
I think it was rather question of increasing the number of countries of the CAF and so this freed a position.

My bad...

Again, showing my lack a statistical knowledge for the game of football.

I think it has more to do with the champions not getting enough competitive games going into the tournament - given that every other country (besides the host nation) having gone through a qualifying phase with at least a few tough games no matter what qualification region they are in.

I am sure that this was the main reason that FIFA gave for this ruling!

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 21 2006, 02:12 AM
I think it has more to do with the champions not getting enough competitive games going into the tournament - given that every other country (besides the host nation) having gone through a qualifying phase with at least a few tough games no matter what qualification region they are in.

I am sure that this was the main reason that FIFA gave for this ruling!
This may be the real reason but this was not the one given anyway. The change in the qualification system was made prior to starting the FIFA WC 2002. The FIFA delegates usualy meet before the world cup and that's where and when they make their big decision such as the changes to the rules or they vote for a new president.

Latest posts