• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fight For Life

Good tussle - picked Seuseu but glad Slade won.

Koopu looking pretty decent.

Guttenbeil vs Spencer seems like a bit of an unfair mismatch. Scrawny playmaker vs hulking loose-forward.. Maybe the guy organising the card is a Cantabrian.

As for the girl matchup, i spent a bit of time training with Hareb in basketball sides growing up. Shes an absolute beast; one of those people that treats every little task from training scrimmages to the finals as a matter of life and death. She was always the most rugged player on the court and was responsible for her fair share of opposition injuries. The other girl is just a ballroom dancer who really doesn't realise what shes getting in to, if she leaves with all her teeth she would have done a good job.

Lol stick to picking the Rugby!!!

P.S Guttenbeil was a 2nd rower.

Carlos FTW...Guttenbeil will never look at another toffee pop in the same manner ever again.

Knock down should've counted for Los - ah well.

Rugby: 2 (Messam, McFarlane)
League: 2 (Koopu, Luke)
1 Draw - Spencer/Guttenbeil.

Not too sure what camp either Holt or Hareb was in but they were both very impressive.

Knock down should've counted for Los - ah well.

Rugby: 2 (Messam, McFarlane)
League: 2 (Koopu, Luke)
1 Draw - Spencer/Guttenbeil.

Not too sure what camp either Holt or Hareb was in but they were both very impressive.

Holt was rugby.

I thought knockdown did count for Spencer with Guttenbeil winning two rounds. How did the judges score it?

Holt Rugby???....really??..

Spencer and Guttenbeil was good stuff.

Cullen never ceases to amaze.

Monty did well to survive.

I was impressed with Cullen. Very brave effort from obviously a very nice guy. Didn't have the same mungrel as that idiot Luke had, but he certainly had the spirit. Pleased to see Messam beat Sailor and Spencer almost had Guttenbeil in the final seconds. Good entertainment, but I can't help but feel it was ruined by the poor refereeing a little. There was no control over the matches, and it showed in the Cameron/Betham fight. Anyway, thought this might interest some people, found it uploaded pretty quick but I doubt it will stay up for long:

Last edited by a moderator:
Messam vs Sailor was very scrappy - thought Messam was going to get KO'd at first

How come Sailor got to lose his headgear? Was it optional? I thought amateur fighters had to wear them (or something along those lines)

Messam vs Sailor was very scrappy - thought Messam was going to get KO'd at first

How come Sailor got to lose his headgear? Was it optional? I thought amateur fighters had to wear them (or something along those lines)

I don't think these fights can be considered amateur(amateurs don't get paid!!!), they were more like exhibition fights. They did wear something like 16oz gloves as well, amateurs don't have that much padding, they're only used in sparring.

McFarland was a lot more mobile than i expected, and he deserved to win. I thought he was going to be a bit old, he did much better than I thought he would do. He made Seuseu look like Suesue lol.

Parkinson was **** considering he had such a "boxing pedigree" lol, he got schooled possibly the biggest margin of the night. Koopu was a much better boxer.

Holt beat Hareb in an exciting fight, i picked Holt but found myself cheering Hareb. I thought Hareb's fitness was going to pay off, but she was a bit small really.

Spencer showed that he's more than just a physical specimen, had that have been a three minute round Guttenbeil was fu*ked. Guttenbeil should have come in a bit heavier, he was pretty much the weaker man in the fight. He did control most of the fight with his reach, but Spencer hit much harder it appeared any way.

Luke was pretty crisp against Cullen in the first two rounds but Cullen came home strong. Cullen probably should have gone for it from the start, its hard to come back when you lose the 1st round in a three round fight.

I thought big dell might be too strong and use his experience against Messam. Was a close scrap but Messam did enough i thought, he actually was a better puncher and had a bit more skill I thought. Big dell just swung for the fences, and missed most of the time.

Not too much to say about the main event, it was **** and neither deserve the cash they make from it, should give it to charity. I heard they pocketed over 100k for that fight. That's a good pay day in NZ boxing, Cameron has only made more cash in one other fight and that was against David Tua. They should have worn regulation pro gloves at least. Monty Betham imo showed enough to suggest had he turned pro at a young age he would have been a class above Shane Cameron.

Last edited:
My take on the night...

Christian Cullen was robbed. Sure Luke won the first round convincingly, but when Cullen rattled him he seemed to have lost all confidence. IMO Cullen was the better BOXER, Luke was clearly there to just scrap. He was constantly grabbing Cullen behind the head and pulling his head down into his other hand and the amount of times he did this should have been a deduction of points. Not only that but when Cullen started coming at him, he wasn't backing up like a BOXER, he would turn his back and drop his head and run away surely another point to account for poor boxing,.. And I feel Cullen won the 2nd and 3rd round. Really didn't make sense IMO.

I will be back to discuss the rest, just have to shoot to the shop lol!

Ok, Spencer and Guttenbeil..Yes Awen sorta controlled the fight throughout, but marginally. It wasn't convincingly done and the knockout in the final ten seconds should've put the decision in Carlos' favour. But I guess Awen had a hell of alot more points at the time of the knockout.

Now, the womens fight... There was NEVER any doubt that Holt was going to win this bout. She has been boxing and experience counts for alot. She had just finished a fight the week prior to this and was in tip top form for another. I bet Hareb will be regretting calling her out now..

AND the main event. Some say Betham was boring and was just running away, BUT in my opinion, he was the better boxer and it says alot when he was able to toy with Cameron the way he did. Shane Cameron being the experienced fighter that he is, should've handled that like a walk in the park. He's used to 12 rounds of 6 mins, this was only 6 rounds of 3 mins so it was all working in his favour, Cameron has fought top notch Boxers throughout his career, he has a good boxing record.. But Monty Betham proved untouchable, Cameron couldn't make one good connecting punch that let everyone know "I'm the experienced Boxer, and you're nothing" Nor could he cut off the ring like you'd expect from an experienced boxer. He left that fight not looking like any type of ***le contender at all and I'd say Betham tarnished his image. Betham had the stiff quick left jab that was working well for him in the first round. And throughout the bout, he stopped using it, he should've kept it up. Betham was always on his toes, moving around and he caught Cameron with a few good uppercuts. He frustrated Cameron throughout the bout, taunting him constantly and there were alot of BIG SWINGING MISS punches from Cameron that had me chuckling in my seat. I take my hat off to the man, he had been written off by all, people saying Cameron was going to knock him out in the first couple of rounds, Cameron even put down the $20,000 for a knockout and Cameron NEVER looked like knocking him out once.

To put it in rugby terms, it was like The All Blacks vs Fiji and the final result was 12-6, no tries, just penalty goals!... Boring match for All Blacks fans but a great spectacle for Rugby fans around the world.

My highlight of the night would've been the Post-Fight speech from Matua Parkinson and Carlos Spencer... They were funny...

Latest posts