• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Test: Australia vs. British and Irish Lions (22/06/13)

Great game. Gripping stuff. Plenty of running. Did not get bogged down in scrums. 4 great tries.

As predicted Foloua was a sensation but Ioane was a bit quiet - he is most damaging in broken play. North a sensation - they'll try not to kick to him again....

Aussie pack aimed up and got across the gain line all night. Lions pack held em out but seemed to be spooked by the ref's breakdown interpretation. Aussies know this ref's approach from Super Rugby so maybe that was an advantage.

Disappointed but pleased with the performance - given we had three backs carried off...and still could have won.

Well done Lions ! See ya in Melbourne

It was a good game of Wallabies, improved a lot on defense compared to last year. In the first half they defended well except for the try of North. Your scrum still has some problems but they can improve. No doubt if Wallabies maintains this level can win the Rugby Championship this year.

James Horwill, Michael Hooper, Will Genia, AAC, James O'Connor and Israel Folau will be the basis of this team

Good luck Aussies!

If Corbisiero had to pull out of the tour now, this would be a MASSIVE blow for the Lions.

The difference in the scrum after he and Adam Jones went off was pretty eye-catching.

POC would also be a blow, but I think Parling is a pretty good replacement. Who should come onto the bench though, Gray or Evans? (I would go Evans.)

It was a good game of Wallabies, improved a lot on defense compared to last year. In the first half they defended well except for the try of North. Your scrum still has some problems but they can improve. No doubt if Wallabies maintains this level can win the Rugby Championship this year.

James Horwill, Michael Hooper, Will Genia, AAC, James O'Connor and Israel Folau will be the basis of this team

Good luck Aussies!

I think they'd have to lift their game considerably to win the Rugby Championship this year...

I think they'd have to lift their game considerably to win the Rugby Championship this year...

With respect to last year, I think they improved a lot in the first Test against Lions, I wouldn't trust me so much. NZ also showed some weaknesses against France in the first Test, remember that the first test could have won France.

Regards

POC out for the rest of the tour with a fractured arm. Gutted for the big lad and a blow for the Lions.

POC out for the rest of the tour with a fractured arm. Gutted for the big lad and a blow for the Lions.

That is a shame for the big fella. They lose some experience and presence ....but the replacement will still be a top performer. That is the dilemma playing the Lions - every replacement is a another bloody good player. Who will it be ? Parling ? His named to be playing the Rebels this week - will they pull him from the run-on side ?

I don't watch many games of union but always make time for the Lions tests. And am I glad I did, right down to the last play of the game, a game ultimately decided by a Devon Loch moment. Fantastic entertainment. And I was also delighted to see Big Is Israel Folau tearing it up on debut. The lad is class.

Second test please, can't wait!

awww man, thinking about it again - can you believe there's a last decisive scrum at the very end of the match, and the Wallabies actually win it against the Lions (!!!?!?!?!) and miss the penalty for victory ?!!.....
I mean seriously, no one else but Beale, really ?!....
for such a large rugby nation, Australia sure seems to lack depth unfortunately...

awww man, thinking about it again - can you believe there's a last decisive scrum at the very end of the match, and the Wallabies actually win it against the Lions (!!!?!?!?!) and miss the penalty for victory ?!!.....
I mean seriously, no one else but Beale, really ?!....

Beale-Trip.jpg

If Corbisiero had to pull out of the tour now, this would be a MASSIVE blow for the Lions.

The difference in the scrum after he and Adam Jones went off was pretty eye-catching.

I think Gatland is going to have to consider leaving Corbisiero and Jones on for the whole game.

hehe....of course the internet community wouldn't wait a second to pick on poor little Beale !...
Must be hilarious (or not so much...) to be a celeb, esp. in sports, and check out the internet whenever you've made some kind of mistake on nat. TV.

I think Gatland is going to have to consider leaving Corbisiero and Jones on for the whole game.

I can't see it happening, but there might be some merit in starting Grant if Corbisiero is out. I'm not a front-rower, and know **** all about it, but I think he's a stronger scrummager. No evidence to demonstrate this though, and perhaps any personal advantage might be mitigated by him having had less time to work as a unit than Vunipola will?

Edit: It's not just that I want a Scot involved... I'm quite used to supporting Scot-less Lions by now!

While I think g6mcg has a point about Grant being a better scrummager, to me that unfortunately spells "Bench" in the situation. Cole feels having a weak looosehead far more than Jones does. Jones and Vunipola, being replaced by Cole and Grant, sounds reasonable to me.

Also, the idea of leaving a prop on for 80 minutes of that is ludicrous, particularly if you want him to play a game next week, particularly if that prop is Adam Jones. I still maintain the real issue was replacing a tighthead lock with a loosehead lock. AWJ is going to have to stay fit and play every test minute.

Completely agree.

Funny no one is kicking up a fuss about it now, compared in that club match. Can't imagine why ;)

To be fair, i haven't seen anyone kick up a fuss about the second Folau try when he threw the ball at Sexton deliberately after beating him for pace and scoring a great try.

Latest posts