• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fleming In Doubt For Start Of Chappel Hadlee

W

woosaah

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Fleming in doubt for tour opener
23 November 2005 

New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming is in doubt for the first match of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy one-day cricket series against Australia next month for undisclosed health reasons.

Black Caps coach John Bracewell named an extended 14-man squad today - which featured the inclusion of all rounder Chris Cairns - to cater for the fitness of Fleming.

"Stephen Fleming may not be available for the first match, following a personal medical matter, but hopes to be available for the remainder of the series," Bracewell said in a statement.

"Daniel Vettori will captain the Black Caps should Stephen not be available and this would present him with an excellent opportunity to further his development in this area.

"Should Stephen be available, then we will release a player from the squad back to their State domestic side."

Cairns, 35, returns for the three-match series after having been surprisingly left out of the 0-4 one-day series loss in South Africa which finished earlier this month.

Bracewell said 208-match veteran Cairns had returned to the fitness level required.

AdvertisementAdvertisement"We sent Chris away to work on his cricket fitness and he has shown a great deal of discipline in his training and matches and we believe he is ready for a return to international cricket," Bracewell said.

"He understands that it is a big step up to play Australia after taking part in pre-season domestic matches but I am happy that if he continues the work ethic he has shown he will be up to the task."

Oram was unable to bowl in South Africa and returned home with back and foot injury concerns. Bracewell said he had undergone fitness assessments over the past week during games with the New Zealand Academy in Christchurch and had performed well there.

"He has bowled during these matches and we are happy that he seems free of back pain at present, and that he seems to be regaining form and confidence," Bracewell said.

In the only changes from the 15-man one-day squad that faced South Africa, Cairns replaces injured all rounder Andre Adams while spin bowler Jeetan Patel is omitted.

Seam bowler Chris Martin is unlucky to miss out despite impressing during the recent New Zealand A tour of Sri Lanka.

Perhaps the player to benefit from the doubt over Fleming is batsman James Marshall, who has played five tests but just three one-day internationals.

Those three matches were against Australia earlier this year when he scored just 23 runs in three innings.

The series begins in Auckland on December 3, followed by matches at Wellington's Westpac Stadium on December 7 and in Christchurch on December 10.

The squad is:

Stephen Fleming (captain), Nathan Astle, Lou Vincent, Hamish Marshall, James Marshall, Scott Styris, Craig McMillan, Brendon McCullum, Chris Cairns, Jacob Oram, Daniel Vettori, Kyle Mills, James Franklin, Shane Bond.[/b]

Not a bad team really though i am surprised that Hamish Marshall is still there. He has been way out of form, as to has Macca.

oh well i guess we will find out the aussie team after the test this weekend aye

also stole this from stuff.co.nz
<

Good squad. I'd have:
Fleming
Astle
Vincent
Marshall
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

With Oram as the super sub (assuming he can bowl) if not Franklin.

yeah i dont think you would want an allrounder as a super sub. you would either want a bowler or a batter.

but the super sub rule blows anyway the team who wins the toss has instant advantage with chosing the sub how they want it.

i might be tempted to put vettori opening, flem 3 take out either mills or bond (both of them can smack a ball though) put in oram. then sub off vincent for the other. thats if we want to bat first.

otherwise if we want to bowl first make vincent the super sub and bring him on when one of the bowlers has bowled their 10. but to be safe you could just have vincent as the super sub and if you lsoe the toss and bat, just dont use him.

stupid rule

You have to chose the super sub before the toss, so if you chose Vincent as your sub and batter first if you wanted to use him as a batter you would have to take of a bowler... If you have Oram as a sub (assuming he can't crack the starting lineup) you have bring him on for a bowler like Mills when your batting second or if you feild second bring of McMillan or whoever and have him bowl.

There is no way you can leave out Vincent anyway. He was our best batsmen in SA and Zim so deserves to be in the starting team.

he might deserve to be there, i have just never liked him
<
thus the selection in my head always leaves him out

thats why the supersub rule sux

Latest posts