• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

Wendy's is coming back. What a blast from the past.
How bizarre, I don't remember them ever being in the UK in the first place. Being in Cornwall, my nearest one was probably more than an hour away. Saying that, I did live in Swansea for a year in 98/99 and didn't notice one there either.

How bizarre, I don't remember them ever being in the UK in the first place. Being in Cornwall, my nearest one was probably more than an hour away. Saying that, I did live in Swansea for a year in 98/99 and didn't notice one there either.

I remember the one in my local town. Must have closed in the early 90s and got replaced by Burger King.

They must think that they can carve out a share of the fast food market. Much has changed since they left 20 years ago.

I remember the one in my local town. Must have closed in the early 90s and got replaced by Burger King.

They must think that they can carve out a share of the fast food market. Much has changed since they left 20 years ago.
Other than the ubiquitous Wimpy Bars, the only chain fast food I remember from my youth is a Burger King in the middle of Truro! I don't understand why the big chains took so long to find their way to Cornwall. Maybe a lack of enterprising locals to buy franchises?

Has that much changed in the fast food world in the past 20 years? The article notes the rise of vegetarianism and home delivery. Also, I'd have thought that the existance of the minimum wage is more onerous than it used to be and the marketplace is more crowded. I'd have thought that the basic principles are the same though - mass produce cheap food that can be prepared quickly and easily.

Talking of burgers, I managed to feed myself and my wife for £2 thanks to UberEats recently! Apparently I'd created an account, but never used it, so was offered £15 off when I spent £15. My burger from a local independent was worlds better than anything from Mc Burger King for not much more than the rack rate at those chains. There seems to be a widespread lack of understanding of the fact that you need some fat in a beef burger though, 10-20% more fat in the beef would have made for a much better burger, which I would have been able to taste better with less garnishes / sauces as standard.

There's still Wimpys knocking around, I think

There's one in Stafford that looks like a converted garage, and there's one at the bowling place in Tamworth

Edit: Apparently the Tamworth one is no more, but the weird tiny Stafford one is still going strong
1620647963056.png

There used to be one in the Broadmarsh in Nottingham that I used to go to as a kid. It was there until a few years ago when they shut the Broadmarsh down. There was a big article on it in the evening post so a I assumed it was the last one. Glad there are others out there.

Other than the ubiquitous Wimpy Bars, the only chain fast food I remember from my youth is a Burger King in the middle of Truro! I don't understand why the big chains took so long to find their way to Cornwall. Maybe a lack of enterprising locals to buy franchises?

Has that much changed in the fast food world in the past 20 years? The article notes the rise of vegetarianism and home delivery. Also, I'd have thought that the existance of the minimum wage is more onerous than it used to be and the marketplace is more crowded. I'd have thought that the basic principles are the same though - mass produce cheap food that can be prepared quickly and easily.

Talking of burgers, I managed to feed myself and my wife for £2 thanks to UberEats recently! Apparently I'd created an account, but never used it, so was offered £15 off when I spent £15. My burger from a local independent was worlds better than anything from Mc Burger King for not much more than the rack rate at those chains. There seems to be a widespread lack of understanding of the fact that you need some fat in a beef burger though, 10-20% more fat in the beef would have made for a much better burger, which I would have been able to taste better with less garnishes / sauces as standard.

I think the profit margin of fast food joints is definitely getting tighter. As you said the fast food market in general has become even more saturated since they left in 2001. Not just other burger places they are competing with but other street food stalls which have opened up and other competing fast food which have entered the market since 2001.

What has changed Wendy's view that things are any better now than they were when they left? You look at Bryon burger which closed half its stores recently shows even the premium end of the burger market is struggling. And the effect of Covid won't have helped.

Have you seen the The Founder? Basically the story behind how Ray Kroc screwed over the McDonald brothers. But it's interesting that the main thing to come out of that is that McDonald's doesn't make it's money from the burgers and fries it sells but the land it leases to it's franchisees - first all over America and then worldwide. The sale of the burgers and fries etc are just a means to an end.

Have you seen the The Founder? Basically the story behind how Ray Kroc screwed over the McDonald brothers. But it's interesting that the main thing to come out of that is that McDonald's doesn't make it's money from the burgers and fries it sells but the land it leases to it's franchisees - first all over America and then worldwide. The sale of the burgers and fries etc are just a means to an end.
I've got a feeling I had it on a watchlist somewhere, but no, I've never seen it but will try to find it, it sounds right up my alley. I think Morgan Spurlock has addicted me to learning about the business of fast food!

No doubt it varies by country, but do you know what percentage of McDonald's outlets are franchises vs operated by the company themselves? Just wondering as I read somewhere that McDonald's accidentally made a load of money as property investors as the high street properties that they operate from have appreciated in value massively over the years.

I've got a feeling I had it on a watchlist somewhere, but no, I've never seen it but will try to find it, it sounds right up my alley. I think Morgan Spurlock has addicted me to learning about the business of fast food!

No doubt it varies by country, but do you know what percentage of McDonald's outlets are franchises vs operated by the company themselves? Just wondering as I read somewhere that McDonald's accidentally made a load of money as property investors as the high street properties that they operate from have appreciated in value massively over the years.

Funny you should ask as I was looking that up before I posted. The below article says 95% are franchisees out of 36,000 worldwide the remaining 5% are company owned.

Yeh the Founder is well worth a watch. Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc makes a really good villain. Still, in a way don't blame the real Ray Kroc for his big vision for McDonald's. Just the underhanded way he went about it.

The original McDonald's brothers were probably happy with keeping McDonald's localised in their original area.

But still had to feel for them the way Kroc went back on his "word." Lesson of what happened always get it in writing and not just a handshake.

Turns out The Founder is available on Prime, so I'll give it a watch soon.

That article's interesting. Don't franchisees usually own / rent the building that their franchise is located in? Sounds like McDonald's is even more of a property business that I was giving them credit for being.

Turns out The Founder is available on Prime, so I'll give it a watch soon.

That article's interesting. Don't franchisees usually own / rent the building that their franchise is located in? Sounds like McDonald's is even more of a property business that I was giving them credit for being.
i expect McDonald's will own the freehold interest or at least be the head leaseholder on a very long lease and then lease/rent the building mcdonald store to the franchisee. The Franchisee will likely be on.much shorter lease like 10 years or so. And yes, they are one of the biggest Landlords in the world.

Now if In-N-Out came to the UK that would be something.
They seem to get a good write up, never tried one though. I remember having a Wendy's burger in a train station in Toronto twenty odd years ago and thought it was a significant upgrade on McDonald's or Burger King.

There's still Wimpys knocking around, I think

There's one in Stafford that looks like a converted garage, and there's one at the bowling place in Tamworth

Edit: Apparently the Tamworth one is no more, but the weird tiny Stafford one is still going strong
View attachment 10839
I didn't know there were Wimpy's outside of SA.

I know Nando's has been very popular in the UK, with it being a regular joke on Mock the Week, but a Wimpy, never thought I'd see that.

They seem to get a good write up, never tried one though. I remember having a Wendy's burger in a train station in Toronto twenty odd years ago and thought it was a significant upgrade on McDonald's or Burger King.

Neither have I yet. They are based solely in California, Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Unfortunately I doubt they will ever come to the UK.

Yeh 5 guys is pretty good. Prefer it to Shake Shack which I think the burgers are overrated. Drinks are good IIRC.

Wimpey I can barely remember now. Same with Wendy's.

Even McDonald's now I don't really rate unless I fancy their breakfast or have Big tasty burger with bacon.

Five Guys is great, but so expensive - £15 for burger and chips is OTT for fast food

I've never had In'n'Out, but I've heard it's great. Some people go a bit overboard with saying how life changing it is but I know Gordon Ramsay said it's his favourite fast food, and I watched a video with Anthony Bourdain talking about how much he loved the place, and it made me want to try it a lot

I know Nando's has been very popular in the UK, with it being a regular joke on Mock the Week, but a Wimpy, never thought I'd see that.
I didn't realise they were South African to be honest!
They were a favourite haunt of kids birthday parties when I was growing up because they'd usually be attached to things like bowling alleys or right next to cinemas etc.

Nandos is bloody everywhere, and insanely popular - I'm not a big fan tbh, not keen on the taste of peri peri seasoning

Last edited:

I think the UK were the first place to get Wimpy outside the US, in the mid 50s. They had the advantage of being first to market, but my perception is that they fizzled out as more competition came in to the market place. I was surprised to look at their website and see how many locations they still have, mostly in pretty low rent places.

Having visited Nando's in SA in the mid 2000s, I was quite surprised / confused when they started getting popular in the UK. Maybe the offering here is better, but I certainly wouldn't rush back for what I experienced in SA.

Is it possible to get a decent chip (French fry, I can't remember whose vernacular you use) in SA? I remember commenting on how bad they were, the friend I was travelling with had a theory that the lack of rain made growing decent tubers difficult, but I've never heard that substantiated elsewhere.

Latest posts