• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

This guy is quality. The folding table and chair in the middle of the street is epic.

I actually watched this the other day (well, a stream I was watching watched it)
Love the guy, he's literally a Peter Kay character
Grandma's Kitchen, as well - was expecting some doddering 80yr old, not someone in their 40s tops

I actually watched this the other day (well, a stream I was watching watched it)
Love the guy, he's literally a Peter Kay character
Grandma's Kitchen, as well - was expecting some doddering 80yr old, not someone in their 40s tops

Yeah he's a really likeable guy. I reckon he'll be pretty big on YouTube before long.
I've watched a few of his videos - he seems to rate a different take away every day!

Yeah he's a really likeable guy. I reckon he'll be pretty big on YouTube before long.
I've watched a few of his videos - he seems to rate a different take away every day!
I sort of hate myself for watching these. Like you say, he's very likeable, but his schtick gets very repetitive, very quickly - friendly banter with staff, self deprecating fat jokes, saying how amazing the food is and general cheeky chappyness. But I'll put one on because it has been suggested to me and find another couple have auto-played next before I bother to pick up the remote and put something else on. It's also a covid curtain twitcher trigger, although I'm not quite sad enough to figure out what rules were in place at the time the video was filmed. I wish he'd sort the sound in his videos out too.

Another of my guilty pleasures is Beard vs Food. Again, very samey, but slightly more justifiable based on my weird fixation with how a little dude can put so much food away and his personality. I assume that's why one of these videos was suggested to me, but I hadn't realised what a recent phenomenon it is. It looks like that Grandma (50yo, which I assume makes her a late starter in Bolton) video really sent him viral. He's gone from nothing to 180k subs in around a month. Social Blade has him down as earning anywhere between £2k and £32k a month at the moment. Given that wide a range, presumably they're always right in their estimate, but does anyone know where on the scale a channel like this would land? Even if it's the lower, it's not a bad hobby.

Apparently Danny (Rate My Takeaway) lost the mother of his children to a heart attack recently. It makes his happy go lucky outlook all the more impressive, although a little bit ironic that we see him eating large portions of unhealthy food. Either way, he comes across as a genuinely friendly, personable, positive bloke with no edge to him, so I wish him the best with his new found fame. At the moment, his subscribers are climbing like positive covid tests at Christmas, but I'd have thought it's got to level out pretty soon. I'd have thought that his appeal is going to be limited to this country and he doesn't strike me as someone who would invest in the channel or make changes to increase his subscriber base.

Mushy pea fritters. Anyone have that where they live? That's how my parents used to serve mushy peas back in their day. Northerners would order it and when they saw it they would say "WTF is that?" Lol. Yeh I think my parents should have described it better on the menu that it was fried in batter And not served in a pot Like up north.
Turns out my favourite chippy has them on the menu. Not something that I'd ever noticed. I'm not a pea fan, so it's not something that I would order. To be fair to your parents, the word "fritter" gives a pretty clear impression of what you're going to get. Thinking about it, most chip shops could do with a better range of side orders. As a non fish eater, something more interesting that a battered sausage would be good for a change. When it comes to starters / sides, Indian takeaways >>> every other takeaway put together.

Turns out my favourite chippy has them on the menu. Not something that I'd ever noticed. I'm not a pea fan, so it's not something that I would order. To be fair to your parents, the word "fritter" gives a pretty clear impression of what you're going to get. Thinking about it, most chip shops could do with a better range of side orders. As a non fish eater, something more interesting that a battered sausage would be good for a change. When it comes to starters / sides, Indian takeaways >>> every other takeaway put together.

Apart from fish my parents shop would do:

Spare ribs. Don't see A lot of chip shops in my area do these.
Pies - chicken and mushroom, steak and kidney, mince beef and onion. The Pukka pies.
Pork sausages- battered and jumbo sausages.
Savaloys - put in water to stop it drying out.
Chicken.
Chicken nuggets
Scampi.
Think the only veggie option we provided were pancake rolls.

I am personally a fish fan. As well as fish in batter fish fried in Matzomeal is a favourite of mine. I find it less greasy than batter. Haddock is my fish of choice.

But notice the new owners of my parents shop provide an option for Masala, which I might try next time I pop in.

This guy is quality. The folding table and chair in the middle of the street is epic.

saw this one on a chippie he did near Anfield. Love his little table and chair and eating it on the pavement.

Yay, my favourite thread's been bumped! Funnily enough, I watched that one yesterday. I'm 12 videos away from having "completed" his channel. I'll be glad when it's just his new videos appearing on my Subscriptions page rather than the algorithm throwing them at me left, right and centre (although no doubt this will take a but of time to settle down).

It still amazes me how many people have a condition that exempts them from wearing a face covering, but are physically able to work in a hot takeaway.

saw this one on a chippie he did near Anfield. Love his little table and chair and eating it on the pavement.

I watched that one. It looked like a cracking piece of fish. Really good value too - think it was £7 something for fish & chips, mushy peas, curry sauce, a cheese savoury and a can of pop. That is cheap!

I watched that one. It looked like a cracking piece of fish. Really good value too - think it was £7 something for fish & chips, mushy peas, curry sauce, a cheese savoury and a can of pop. That is cheap!

Yep, that is very good value for all of that food. I got a large Haddock and large chips and curry sauce last night for £11.70. But that is southern prices and from a good chip shop around where I live.

Last edited:
Yep, that is very good value for all of that food. I got a large Haddock and large chips and curry sauce last night for £11.70. But that is southern prices and from a good chip shop around where I live.
Obviously sizes may vary, but that would be £12.35 in my local chippy. I suppose that's what I get for being a flash Harry and living in the poorest part of one of the second poorest region of Northern Europe!

A4CA51AA-B72C-4BC4-99F1-2D48B879BDB7.jpegE2DD64DC-4210-4FF6-A6A5-FFE493F4488C.jpeg

My partly eaten large haddock. Shared the large chips with family. Curry sauce was homemade as was the Tartar sauce.

I am sure I can get cheaper in my area but no necessarily the same quality.

I've not had a 5 Guys in so damn long,
Might have to go into the Birmingham city centre on my lunch one day and pick one up, from what I remember they're pretty special

That photo doesn't really sell it, was the bun as sweaty as it looks? Is there a right answer (other than eating it on site) to the trade off between keeping a burger warm and stopping it from sweating? A cardboard version of the traditional styrofoam box seems to be the best solution to me. For my money, I'd rather have a burger that's a bit cooler, than one that's sweated.

Does anyone have a bun preference. I don't think I do as such, but as someone with very savoury tastes, I'm not a fan of the almost ubiquitous brioche and really don't see why it has become so commonplace. Aesthetics and the monkey see, monkey do attitude in the catering industry maybe?

The more I think about it, the more I'm prepared to defend my possibly controversial opinion on the burger itself - the worst flame grilled burger is better than the best burger cooked any other way. Maybe my mind would be changed if I tried a good quality burger by someone who knew what they were doing as opposed to someone who thinks it's more important to write "100% steak burger" on a menu than to serve a moist burger.

Does anyone have a bun preference. I don't think I do as such, but as someone with very savoury tastes, I'm not a fan of the almost ubiquitous brioche and really don't see why it has become so commonplace. Aesthetics and the monkey see, monkey do attitude in the catering industry maybe?
Yeah I'm not a fan of a brioche bun either,
I've never had one but I'd love to try a pretzel bun - big fan of pretzels (the big ones as well as the small bar snack type one)

Yeah I'm not a fan of a brioche bun either,
I've never had one but I'd love to try a pretzel bun - big fan of pretzels (the big ones as well as the small bar snack type one)
I didn't know they were a thing, but I'd me interested to try one. Looking at the recipe, it's at the opposite end of the sweet / savoury scale to brioche.

I regret not trying a soft pretzel when I was in New York and haven't seen them elsewhere. On the other hand, I was glad not to have my trip marred by street vendor induced botulism! Suffice to say I'm not an adventurous traveller!

Latest posts