• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

I don't have that kind of money to burn.
Pack of warburtons for like a £1 and some meat will last me over the week.
Some apple juice mixed with fizzy water to drink.
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Is there any other traditional English food except fish and chips? I know only mince pies and shortbread cookies (but the last one is Scottish probably). I asked a few people the same question but everyone talks about Scottish/Welsh cuisine, not English

Is there any other traditional English food except fish and chips? I know only mince pies and shortbread cookies (but the last one is Scottish probably). I asked a few people the same question but everyone talks about Scottish/Welsh cuisine, not English
Yeah curry!

Chicken Tikka Masala. Not kidding is the nation's most popular dish last time I checked. Personally prefer a Bhuna or Jalfrazi.

The traditional roast dinners - roast meat, roast potatoes, vegetables and gravy, Yorkshire pudding. Really good country pubs do a good one.

Or there's chain like Tobey Carvery which do a cheap roast dinner for like £7 during the weekday. Good value though. Their Yorkshire Puds are big.

There's lots of (savoury) puddings and pies (traditional pies and things like shepherds pie/cottage pie etc.)
Beef Wellington
Chicken Tikka Masala is technically British (though I think might be Scottish?)
Things like full English breakfast, afternoon tea (scones clotted cream etc.)

More snack food type things like sausage rolls, pork pies, cornish pasties etc.
Desserts like eves pudding, eton mess, spotted dick

Modern sandwiches in general are technically an English invention (though I'm not sure how much of that is folklore/history being written by the winners etc. - people have been eating bread forever, I find it hard to believe it wasn't a popular thing to put a filling in between two bits of it)

There's lots of (savoury) puddings and pies (traditional pies and things like shepherds pie/cottage pie etc.)
Beef Wellington
Chicken Tikka Masala is technically British (though I think might be Scottish?)
Things like full English breakfast, afternoon tea (scones clotted cream etc.)

More snack food type things like sausage rolls, pork pies, cornish pasties etc.
Desserts like eves pudding, eton mess, spotted dick

Modern sandwiches in general are technically an English invention (though I'm not sure how much of that is folklore/history being written by the winners etc. - people have been eating bread forever, I find it hard to believe it wasn't a popular thing to put a filling in between two bits of it)
You are a walking encyclopedia, Olyy ;)
I think I tasted a "spotted dick" once in London, but didn't know it's something traditionally English

Yorkshire pudding
Yeah, I've heard about that one by the way!

Is all that something you eat every day at home? A "usual English food" I mean. Do you have "afternoon teas"? I thought you don't have it anymore in England

Afternoon tea isn't an every day thing,
I'd compare it to how people might go for brunch on a weekend or something - more of a social occasion than a regular meal

The rest of those things are pretty standard British dinners though

You are a walking encyclopedia, Olyy ;)
I think I tasted a "spotted dick" once in London, but didn't know it's something traditionally English

Yeah, I've heard about that one by the way!

Is all that something you eat every day at home? A "usual English food" I mean. Do you have "afternoon teas"? I thought you don't have it anymore in England

You can still go for afternoon tea at places like Claridges in London tea, cakes and sandwiches. Or last time I was in the New Forest had tea and scones, jam clotted cream etc.

But yeh, not that usual anymore at home as far as I know. Not for me at least or anyone I know. A nice brew or coffee/ snack In the afternoon - like biscuits and cake if you want to call that an informal afternoon tea.

Last edited:
Nissin Demae ramen instant noodles, egg and bacon butty or toasted sandwich.

I'm pretty much pescatarian now.

Plant based options are improving by the day.

Anyone else largely / wholly given up meat?

I eat much less meat these days. My breakfast roll of choice has Quorn or Linda McCartney sausages (both are surprisingly good), egg and ketchup. Basically a homemade veggie sausage and egg roll.

Just reading professor Roy Taylor's book on reversing type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, it runs in my family so got to watch the waist line as I get older. He talks largely about each person having their personal fat threshold ie if any of us eat too much, we get to heavy for our body to support it..
it just spills over as internal fat, especially the liver and then pancreas. That's when it affects it producing insulin. But thankfully he says it can be reversed. So, more plant based diet is worth considering when getting older.

Certainly not going to give up meat, but certainly thinking of moderation and more fibrous diet as I get older. The downsides of diabetes is not to be sniffed at.

I've moved to a lot of quorn products. The pricing has improved although they are quite hit and miss. The quorn "chicken burgers" are actually really good, as are the nuggets. The sausages taste very different but are nice in their own way. The mince is good, less flavour but less fatty. The facon though is awful and should definitely be avoided.

Latest posts