• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

It's amazing seeing the queues that formed for McDonalds originally, it's cheap crap and yet people queue for it likes it's some prized gourmet thing. Never really understood the fascination.

I think it was the symbolism at the time as Steven Rosenberg explains at the time of Russia opening up to the west back in the early 1990s and wanting to be part it.

Now it's the reverse but not like this new chain will serve anything that different.

Most of McDonald's is total junk food as you say, personally cutting down on it way more now for health reasons.

been a vegan for over a decade; I accidentally ate a regular hot dog instead of a vegan hot dog on Sunday and I'm still out of my routine. Haven't had a good workout since.

If you need any help with recipes or ideas for food give me a shout; the beginning can be quite tough. I started in high school and was passing out during basketball practice due to just eating pop tarts but once I got a handle on things it's really smooth sailing.
Thanks mate that would be great. Feel free to post some recipes or what not on here. I'm doing a chickpeas, sweet potato and Kale soup/stew thing tomorrow which looks really good.

You're bang on, though, I think a lot of it is not being clued up on what to do at the beginning and just being informed enough to know what to cook to make sure you're getting the right nutrients and stuff, especially if you've got kids. I thought this thing tomorrow sounds pretty good in terms of a balanced nutritional meal but definitely need more ideas.

on nutrients you'll probably have to start a b12 chewy just cause that's what animals are given and most humans get their b12 supplementation through the supplementation given to livestock. If you feel off you can look into a multivitamin, d3, or iron but if you are otherwise healthy those shouldn't be an issue.

My big recipe advice is to learn how to make seitan. My recipe 1.75 cup vital wheat gluten, .375 chickpeas or buckwheat flour, .75 cups water, tablespoon each of coconut oil and liquid amino acids but any fat and salt should do. It's by far the most economic vegan protein and it's super versatile. I throw it in with baked beans; make a curry or chicken sandwich. It really just takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in and has a good texture.

That stew does sound delicious.

I think it was the symbolism at the time as Steven Rosenberg explains at the time of Russia opening up to the west back in the early 1990s and wanting to be part it
No,it was more of a curiosity to be honest. "What do they eat there, in the West? I have to try it", something like that I think
"Vkusno i tochka "... What a stupid name 🤦‍♀️ they chose the worst one

No,it was more of a curiosity to be honest. "What do they eat there, in the West? I have to try it", something like that I think
"Vkusno i tochka "... What a stupid name 🤦‍♀️ they chose the worst one
From the West's POV it was symbolic (from the outside looking in)?. But of course that it interesting from a Russian POV that after the years of the Cold War this new chain peeps had probably heard so much about and wanted to try.

Yes, from an outsider the name sounds funny. But then it's now aimed at the Russian market. Still, the same junk food but just rebranded.

From the West's POV it was symbolic (from the outside looking in)?. But of course that it interesting from a Russian POV that after the years of the Cold War this new chain peeps had probably heard so much about and wanted to try.

Yes, from an outsider the name sounds funny. But then it's now aimed at the Russian market. Still, the same junk food but just rebranded.
There's photos where they have literally just gone over the old logo with a black marker pen.

Anyone who has been to HK and eaten at the famous Jumbo floating restaurant. It's sadly now gone.

I remember going there as kid and knocking over 2-3 7 ups. Can't recall how good the food was.

Last edited:
Still, the same junk food but just rebranded.
Yes, plus there's also a Russian fast food that is much more tasty and "healthy" than this crap (Moo-Moo restaurants or Kroshka Kartoshka,for example). Kroshka Kartoshka is SUPER tasty and a Russian-Russian fast food,so impossible to find here in Europe unfortunately. Really miss it here 😩😭😵‍💫
Anyone who has been to HK and eaten at the famous Jumbo floating restaurant. It's sadly now gone.
I saw it and took a couple of photos when I've been there,but haven't visited,damn

Giving too many 10/10s now and for food not looking that great.

Not exactly (the Russian one is with Russian cuisine additions and dishes), but the concept of one of the dishes (potato mixed with smth) looks pretty similar 🥲 not sure there are those restaurants in Poland though

Anyone tried Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen chicken? They've finally come to the UK.

Giving too many 10/10s now and for food not looking that great.

I never watched him expecting proper critical reviews, mostly just for the fun of someone simply enjoying life and the possibility of seeing the odd place locally which might be worth giving a check.

I never watched him expecting proper critical reviews, mostly just for the fun of someone simply enjoying life and the possibility of seeing the odd place locally which might be worth giving a check.
Yeh, I think I won't watch his videos that much now or only the occasional one - he's become a bit too predictable. Nice guy, but as a food critic now - no. Suspect he is either too nice to criticise or getting backhanders from the venue to promote them and giving out high scores.

Plus, now he is recognised he is just getting bombarded by passers by looking for a photo op. Which I find very annoying. So I skip past those bits.

He'd also do well to put links to those places in the description. I have put a comment to ask him but he never responds or improves this aspect. Just Danny is here in so and so Town/city, which means if they are good having to Google map the place. Other food bloggers on YouTube are better in that respect.

Last edited:
My big recipe advice is to learn how to make seitan. My recipe 1.75 cup vital wheat gluten, .375 chickpeas or buckwheat flour, .75 cups water, tablespoon each of coconut oil and liquid amino acids but any fat and salt should do. It's by far the most economic vegan protein and it's super versatile. I throw it in with baked beans; make a curry or chicken sandwich. It really just takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in and has a good texture.

That stew does sound delicious.
You do realise Chicken is also classed as meat?🤔

Not surprising really.
You'd hope so, but I hate the type of food snobbery that this closed-minded attitude implies and nowhere is it more applicable than in Italian cuisine. Italians tend to make dishes just like the previous generation made them, and the next generation will do what the current generation is doing, ad infinitum. It's far from inconceivable to me that someone else could take this blueprint and improve upon it, but in the comments section of every Italian recipe I've ever read, there's a queue of gatekeepers keen to point out why the recipe isn't authentic, as if this establishes them on some sort of moral / intellectual high ground.

The principles behind good fish and chips are no different to that of many Italian dishes - few ingredients, sourced to the best of the chef's ability, prepared with care and cooked carefully. Why shouldn't an Italian be able to do this just as well as someone who happens to have been born in their traditional home?

There's still a lot of takeaways that seem to focus on sourcing everything as cheaply as possible and making them as cheap to prepare as possible. Given that prices don't vary massively, hopefully the greater competition in the marketplace will see the lower quality outlets weeded out and will ultimately benefit the consumer. Since a Polish owned kebab shop has opened in my home town, marinading their own meats and cooking everything to order, a longstanding Turkish owned one has gone out of business.

Latest posts