• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

For when the game is out

Duckdee

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Yes, I know it's far too early, but I'm having a rubbish day, and typing up this post will pass some time.

I like being part of a community, and doing fun things, so with that in mind, I've thought of something we could do if there's online play. For the purposes of this thread let's assume there will be, and that we can use custom teams online.

What I'm thinking of, is a kind of draft system to select a team of 22 players, which we will play eachother with. Firstly, a list of the top rated players for each position would be posted, enough to match the number of people willing to do this. (Let's say 4. So 12 props, locks, flankers, centres, wings, and 8 hookers, 8s, scrum halves, fly halves, fullbacks.)

Then the selection of players begins. To try and make things fair, only one player can be picked at a time, so everyone gets a chance to pick some of their favourite players. Selection will also run through positions, so Gamer 1 will pick a prop, G2 a hooker, G3 a lock, G4 a flanker, then back to G1 for an 8, and so on.

Once the draw is complete, there will be some players left over, but I think it's better to let people decide how to build their bench.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Can you see any problems or improvements? And most importantly, would anyone be up for doing this?

That's nicely taken up 35 minutes.

Yes, I know it's far too early, but I'm having a rubbish day, and typing up this post will pass some time.

I like being part of a community, and doing fun things, so with that in mind, I've thought of something we could do if there's online play. For the purposes of this thread let's assume there will be, and that we can use custom teams online.

What I'm thinking of, is a kind of draft system to select a team of 22 players, which we will play eachother with. Firstly, a list of the top rated players for each position would be posted, enough to match the number of people willing to do this. (Let's say 4. So 12 props, locks, flankers, centres, wings, and 8 hookers, 8s, scrum halves, fly halves, fullbacks.)

Then the selection of players begins. To try and make things fair, only one player can be picked at a time, so everyone gets a chance to pick some of their favourite players. Selection will also run through positions, so Gamer 1 will pick a prop, G2 a hooker, G3 a lock, G4 a flanker, then back to G1 for an 8, and so on.

Once the draw is complete, there will be some players left over, but I think it's better to let people decide how to build their bench.

Does that make sense to anyone else? Can you see any problems or improvements? And most importantly, would anyone be up for doing this?

That's nicely taken up 35 minutes.

Dont know about this..

Why not? It stops one person from picking all the best players.

Why not? It stops one person from picking all the best players.

I don't like the idea of having to pick a lock just because you were gamer 3, what if you dont intend on playing a style where you need your best player to be a lock?
How about the classic draft method where you get randomly assigned a draft pick from 1-4 and it gets reversed every round, eg;

G1: first pick, can choose any player
G2: second pick, can choose any player (except the one G1 chose)
G3: third pick..
G4: fourth pick..
G4: fifth pick
G3: sixth pick
G2: seventh pick
G1: eighth pick
G1: ninth pick
etc..

That stops one person from picking all the best players and it also lets people construct their team around the type of tactics they want to use

I don't like the idea of having to pick a lock just because you were gamer 3, what if you dont intend on playing a style where you need your best player to be a lock?
How about the classic draft method where you get randomly assigned a draft pick from 1-4 and it gets reversed every round
Good point, fair soloution.

Also, what if people don't play in the forwards and such. I mean, I'm a back, have been all my life and while I do understand what is involved with being a forward, I know a huge more about being a back and as such, when I watch rugby / play rugby, I often use backs more than forwards and when I watch, I always look at the backs, it is not often I look at the forwards. So having a back chosing a prop and a forward chosing a centre is a bit, eh.

I know you would probably just pick the best stats, but you would probably just chose the person you think is the best, not just based on stats. Like I always have Smith in number 13 in World League, because to me he is the best 13 in the world, but his stats in the game don't reflect it.

I know this is a stupid rant, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

I'm not sure if I fully understand this idea.

Would there be an option for Online Play to be Multiplayer i.e. two gamers on one team and two on the other? For example it could be quite exciting with the PS3Eye to tell them when to pass etc.

I'm not sure if I fully understand this idea.

Would there be an option for Online Play to be Multiplayer i.e. two gamers on one team and two on the other? For example it could be quite exciting with the PS3Eye to tell them when to pass etc.

Is my wording really that bad?

I think Ranger has the idea, I'll let him explain it. :p

Is my wording really that bad?

I think Ranger has the idea, I'll let him explain it. :p

When you say Custom Team do you mean Create Your Own from ALL the Players in the game or Selection from a 30 Man Squad such as Wales or England?

It does seem time consuming to draft each position separately though!

What about an attribute system. Not too complicated. Where each player gets an certain amount of points so that he can build his own team. Faster backs but weaker forwards? Dominating forwards but limited backs? Jack of all trades, master of none effect. So before each tournament each player builds his team. The team then cant be changed for the tournament.

EA rugby competition in London?

£20 each in the pot, winner takes all. We could cross promote it with heineken for the launch of the 2011/2012 Heineken cup. OR Lucky dip teams for a world cup competition, either way, setting up a big screen and a console in a pub would be easy, a money maker of not just a chance to play rugby games and have a few beers whilst doing it. At the very least we'd get a feature bb.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion

What about an attribute system. Not too complicated. Where each player gets an certain amount of points so that he can build his own team. Faster backs but weaker forwards? Dominating forwards but limited backs? Jack of all trades, master of none effect. So before each tournament each player builds his team. The team then cant be changed for the tournament.
That sounds kinda good, but international teams at the moment don't really fit to that mould, i.e Ireland has monster forwards and very good backs, they're just getting a little old :p

I do think this is a good idea that could be implemented into the world tour/ manager mode though. You take charge of an unknown team, name them, pick colours/ kit, and then choose players. You have super limited resources though, so you could get 15 65~ players, or a 75-80 player and 15 60~ players, all while setting up to your play style (forward or back play).

Ireland do not have "monster forwards". Their front row got dominated by Georgia and pretty much any other team in the six nations. It's lucky they have an excellent back row and powerful backs such as BOD to compensate for their lack of power in the front 5.

This sounds like a pretty sweet idea... I much prefer Ranger's selection process idea.
But all players should be up for grabs, having only the "Top" players in each position could cause some problems as i might really want a particular player but if the game doesn't consider him as one of the best then i couldn't use him.
Otherwise this seems to be the fairest selection solution...

This would make things very interesting come game time... Players would have to use different tactics depending on who they were able to select. Sounds Great!!! :D

this idea is brilliant... great thinking and then we could have a TRF RUGBY 2012 Trophy or something for the forum

But all players should be up for grabs, having only the "Top" players in each position could cause some problems as i might really want a particular player but if the game doesn't consider him as one of the best then i couldn't use him.
My thinking of having it limited, is to (hopefully) keep things balanced, and to get us using players we might normally wouldn't.

Latest posts