Form XV Super XV

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
With both Dagg and Toeava injured the only other options IMO are Muliaina and the dark horses Jaco Taute and Riaan Viljoen from the Lions and Cheetahs respectively. Beale takes it IMO.

14 Sitiveni Sivivatu (Chiefs)
Out of position and a bit of a cheat on my part I guess but he is the other form winger IMO. Pat McCabe or JOC might get ahead here but they havn't played at wing so I guess can't come into contention.

13 Doppies LaGrange / Tom Carter / Richard Kahui / Jaque Fourie
I can't decide either way.

12 Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes)
While SBW has been found out after the Cheetahs game it seems with Brendan Venter's staements that SBW isn't the danger man but the guys around him should be watched, Nonu has stepped up in the last couple of games.

11 Zac Guildford (Crusaders)
High workrate to complement his great finishing work.

10 Daniel Carter / Quade Cooper / Patrick Lambie
I can't decide. Carter has been his solid self, Cooper has done consistently what he does best though he is very dependant on others IMO while Pat Lambie has been a standout in a somewhat out-of-sorts Sharks team and is without a doubt the form SA pivot by a mile and a half.

9 Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs)
Defensively frail but what an eye for the tryline! His sniping runs keeping defenses on the back foot combined with crisp service sees him in my form XV.

8 Victor Vito (Hurricanes)
Not a lot of 8's are setting the world alight but Vito is my pick for 8 with other considerations being Radike Samo, Duane Vermeulen and Josh Strauss.

7 David Pocock (Force)
Just immense workrate and has been getting back to his solid self since returning from injury.

6 Liam Messam (Chiefs)
His opposition in Adam Thomson hasn't been as busy as he was prior to injury while Messam has kept up his tremendous form. Schalk Burger has been putting his hand up all season as well, so too Ashley Johnson though I think Messam has the more rounded skillset.

5 Andries Bekker (Stormers)
Was schooled by Victor Matfield in the line-out on the weekend but has been the best all-in-all IMO suffering from bad through work by his hookers.

4 Wikus van Heerden (Lions)
Though his age counts against him and the Springbok lock hierarchy is pretty much set, his return to SA and form after the recent switch to lock under John Mitchell has made at least myself take serious note of him as an option for RWC 2011.

3 Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
Again, more for his work around the park though he has been solid enough but what a busy prop! Benefitting from Sekope Kepu's injury.

2 Tatafu Polotu Nau (Waratahs)
Runner up, Stephen Moore. I find it strange that I pick so many Aussie front rowers but these guys have been the standouts for me these last few weeks. Very capable in the S15. Will have to see if they can keep itup on the test stage.

1 Coenie Oosthuizen (Cheetahs)
Probably who i'd pick if my life depended on it (that'd be Dean Greyling who has really impressed me this year with Guthro Steenkamp injured) but Oosthuizen has been incredible around the pitch though others have been more solid. Call this one my 'indulgence' pick.

Who would you have?

Last edited:
I would pick David Smith on the wing instead Sivivatu, and Nathan Sharpe in place of Van Heerden.

Maybe Josh Strauss at 8, because he's leading the Lions giving the example, he's been awesome against Brumbies, H'landers and Sharks!

15. Beale (WAR)
14. Basson (BUL)
13. Faingaa (RED)
12. LaGrange (LIO)
11. Guildford (CRU)
10. Cooper (RED)
9. Pretorius (CHE)
8. Johnson (CHE)
7. Pocock (WF)
6. Thompson (HIG)
5. Sharpe (WF)
4. Bekker (STO)
3. Mackintosh (HIG)
2. Polotu Nau (WAR)
1. Oosthuizen (CHE)

Probably deserves a Shark and Bulls player, i haven't seen enough of them this season though. Sivivatu, Mackintosh and Sharpe are probably replaceable.

Last edited:
All i can do is laugh at your picks... seriously??? after this weekend i can understand why, but seriously??not one Bulls player except Dean Greyling getting a mention??

What about Bjorn Basson, one of the top try scorers in the tournament?
Or Morne Steyn who went past the 200-points mark for the season?
or Francois Hougaard for being the star that he is playing any position asked and doing everything right...

And then what about Victor Matfield? the guy who showed Andries Bekker this weekend what a lineout is all about? shame on you Mr Bias-Stormer2010...

Laugh all you want, maybe we can join in after you post your picks ;)

It's just a bit of fun. Plus it is purely subjective as well, so most arguments don't go very far.

All i can do is laugh at your picks... seriously??? after this weekend i can understand why, but seriously??not one Bulls player except Dean Greyling getting a mention??

or Francois Hougaard for being the star that he is playing any position asked and doing everything right...

And then what about Victor Matfield? the guy who showed Andries Bekker this weekend what a lineout is all about? shame on you Mr Bias-Stormer2010...

Matfield has been out of form all most all season, Steyn hasn't really sparked the Bulls backline untill recently and looks one dimensional, Hougaard hasn't proven he is the best wing or scrumhalf and Basson probably isn't the form wing of the comp, despite him being a good player. It's subjective and not everyone is a Bull fanboy. I'd go with -

1. Wyatt Crockett
2. Bismaark du Plessis
3. Owen Franks
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. Josh Bekhius
6. Liam Messam
7. Matt Todd
8. Victor Vito
9. Will Genia
10. Daniel Carter
11. David Smith
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Richard Kahui
14. Sitivini Sivivatu
15. Ben Smith

Last edited:
Yeah, look you shouldn't take it too seriously, hey. I've only got 1 Stormer in there as well and not a single Reds player even though they top the table!!

As for dropping the players mentioned for the ones you mentioned... it's a bit of much over muchness wouldn't you say?

Rather just nominate your team instead of bringing your victim mentality here.

What would your form XV be?

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Digby Ioane
13. Jaque Fourie
12. James O'Connor (fits there better than Fly Half)
11. Rene Ranger and Bjorn Basson shares this spot for me.
10. Dan Carter
9. Fourie Du Preez (even though he's now injured) otherwise Will Genia
8. Ashley Johnson
7. Adam Thompson or Francois Louw
6. Schalk Burger
5. Victor Matfield
4. Nathan Sharpe
3. Jamie Mckintosh (even though he's a looshead)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
1. Wyatt Crockett or Dean Greyling

15. Kurtley Beale
The best fullback in the world together with Ben Foden has personally taken the Waratahs back into the play off hunt
14. JP Pietersen
This guy is, together with Lambie, the only Shark who shows form. Despite only getting a couple of balls a match, he makes most of it, scoring tries against the Waratahs and Lions recently.
13. Richard Kahui
Kahui has really stepped up this season and is one of the reasons the Chiefs have booked some surprising wins.
12. Doppies la Grange
The Lions have improved massively and the new captain is the one to thank for that. Beating the Brumbies and Highlanders away, almost beating the Sharks at home. Is unlucky to have Jean de Villiers in front of him for the Bok jersey and Wynand Olivier being constantly picked by Peter de Villiers
11. Riaan Viljoen
Riaan Viljoen usually plays fullback but with the wingers falling short, he moved to the side, with Daniller taking his place at the back. Even on the wing, Viljoen shows massive skills and was outstanding against the Sharks last week.
10. Patrick Lambie
With Dan Carter performing good, Lambie's play is awesome. In a Sharks team where he is surrounded by off-form players (Kankowski, Terblanche) and players not good enough for this level (McLeod, Bosman), Lambie is outstanding. He singlehandedly secured 2 points by setting up 2 tries and scoring one himself in Johannesburg last weekend. Against the Waratahs he also scored a try to get the ball rolling for the Durban side.
9. Sarel Pretorius
He still needs to work on his defensive skills but a form XV without Sarel is not a serious form XV. His attacking skills, his distribution, his running... He is a true asset in the attacking team the Cheetahs
8. Josh Strauss
The South African Chabal is outstanding this season and he should be a serious option for the Bok XV, with Spies and Kankowski off form. I was thinking of Ashley Johnson and Victor Vito, but Josh is my pick for the nr. 8
7. (blindside flanker) Adam Thomson
Despite the Highlanders missing out on the play offs, Mackintosh, Poki and Thomson have been outstanding this season. Beating the Bulls was their highlight of the season and Thomson is just an amazing flanker.
6. (openside flanker) David Pocock
Injury struck but on his way back. Where would the Force be if he was able to play the whole season? Got injured in week 3 against the Sharks and only returned recently.
5. Andries Bekker
Yes yes, Matfield did show him the ropes in the line-outs but when it comes to the rest of rugby, Bekker is just one step ahead of Matfield. The way he leads the Stormers, despite not being the captain, is superb. Definitely the Bok-lock of the future together with Flip van der Merwe
4. Nathan Sharpe
Leading the Perthoria franchise by example, he is a certainty for the Wallabies XV and a true professional.
3. Ben/Owen Franks
Who can see the difference between the 2? Both deserve a place in my form XV. Outstanding in defence.
2. Bismarck du Plessis
The difference between him on the bench and him playing was like day and night last weekend. Overall he has been outstanding, scoring 4 tries so far and in defence he is also pretty damn good. He might go too far which concedes penalties from time to time but that does not change the fact he is one of the best hookers in the world.
1. Dean Greyling
I could have picked Oosthuizen, but his scrummaging is awful. he concedes penalties with the scrums and that can cost valuable points. Greyling has been great replacing Gurthro Steenkamp and he deserves a place. He should have been picked by stormer2010 but he has a crush on Coenie ;)

15. Ben Smith--Or Viljoen (I'm unfairly prejudiced against Beale, sorry)
14. Basson
13. Robert Eberson--impressed me every game I've seen, and is a freaking stud on my fantasy team
12. JOC-even though he's played a lot at 10 and 15 this year, Ma'a has come on strong late but was iffy early, SBW was awesome early and crap lately, JOC has sparkled on a crap team
11. Guilford
10. Cooper-- DC is better and has been playing awesome when he's fit, but missed a few games
9. Pretorius
8. Radike Samo
7. Liam Messam-out of position, but he's been damn good
6. Ashley Johnson
5. Bekker
4. Sharp
3. Owen Franks
2. BdP- would pick TPN, he's been the best when he's healthy, but he knocks himself retarded every game and has to sit out so much. I'm sort of scared for his health
1. Coennieeeeee!

7 SA, 4 NZ, 4 Aus

Last edited:
Who wouldn't fall in love with a pilfering, goose-stepping, try scoring 127kg prop? With a blonde mullet to boot!

Sincerely, until 3 weeks ago, I would pick Beau Robinson ahead of Pocock...

15.jane
14.Rene ranger
13.fourie
12.Luke mcalister
11.guilford
10.Dan Carter
9.piri weepu
8.read
7.pocock
6.richie mcaw
5.whitelock
4.bekker
3.franks
2.fainga
1.Keith mannion

Hey look no black people

I haven't watched enough of the S.A teams to include them.

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Stiveni Sivivatu
13. Richard Kahui
12. James O'Connor
11. Digby Ioane
10. Matt Giteau
9. Sarel Pretorious (I've seen a bit of the cheetahs and he's by far the best 9)
8. Kieren Read
7. David Pocock
6. Scott Higgenbotham
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. James Horwill
3. Owen Franks
2. Steven Moore
1. Jamie Mackintosh

I'm guessing it's quite bad but I've only seen a few games because of exams and s***

My form XV. I'm taking into account the whole Super Rugby season, hence people like Sivivatu who has been great for the last 3-4 weeks, but was poor for the rest of the season, didn't make my team.

15. Kurtley Beale
Been fantastic, particularly in the latter half of the season. He only just shades Ben Smith, who has been consistently good all season, and Isaia Toeava who was probably the standout fullback before injury (and boy have the Blues missed him!).
14. JP Pietersen
Hardest choice to pick for me, as there has been no clear standout (actually no real standouts at all!). Pieterson's strong recent form has lead me to pick him over the likes of Kade Poki (who was fantastic at the start of the season but has faded), Sean Maitland (who was one of the leading try scorers before injury), Lelia Masaga (who's had some outstanding matches mixed in with a few average ones).
13. Jaque Fourie
Been consistently strong all season for the Stormers. Edges out Jarred Payne, who was brilliant for the Blues before they lost their momentum (coinciding with the loss of Toeava). I can't agree with Richard Kahui being here: he has had some solid games of late, defending and distributing well, but he's not really been a threat at all on attack (though that could well be down to having Sweeney playing at 12 almost all season).
12. James O'Connor
Though he's been used throughout the backline, he's been most effective at 12. He was won several games almost single-handedly for the Force. Just edges Sonny Bill-Williams, who was the form 12 for the first half of the competition, but has been very ineffective for the last month of so, and Doppies La Grange (who probably suffers because I don't watch the Lions enough!). Ma'a Nonu has been strong over the last month of so, but was poor over the first-half of the competition.
11. Zac Guildford
Has been consistently brilliant for the Crusaders. Plenty of other competition for the left wing spot though: Bjorn Basson has been great for the Bulls, Drew Mitchell was showing some outstanding form before injury, Digby Ioane has been superb for the table topping Reds, while Sitivini Sivivatu has looked back at his elusive best over recent weeks.
10. Dan Carter
Been his consistent brilliant self all season for the Crusaders. Edges Quade Cooper due to this consistency, as Cooper still mixes the sublime with the ridiculous (and Carter can actually tackle..)
9. Sarel Pretoruis
As others have noted he does have defensive frailties, but he is phenomenal on attack. Andy Ellis was having a very strong season for the Crusaders before injury, while Will Genia has again been a consistent threat for the Reds.
8. Liam Messem
Whether at 6 or 8 Messem has probably been the standout loose-forward in the competition for me. He has a phenomenal work-rate, is dangerous with the ball in hand, and has managed to cut out the silly errors that used to blight his game. There have been a number of strong performers in the 8 jersey: Victor Vito has had a good season for the Canes, Josh Strauss has impressed for the Lions, Duane Vermeulen has been consistent for he Stormers, Radike Samo has been great for the Reds, while Keiran Read has been impressive over the latter half of the season.
7. Matt Todd
Another tough decision. Todd just edges out the likes of Beau Robinson, David Pocock (despite his shortened season), and Schalk Burger, probably because I'm more biased towards New Zealand players!
6. Scott Higginbotham
Has been outstanding all season for the Reds. Though he is noted for his runs in open play, he has been strong in the tight as well. He only just edges Adam Thomson, who was brilliant during the first half of the season, but has faded pretty badly (due to a combination injuries and fatigue) over the second half of the season. Ashley Johnson has improved as the season has progressed, but still has some glaring weaknesses on defense, and his handling can let him down. Matt Hodgson is another who has really impressed me in recent weeks.
5. Andries Bekker
As usual has had a storming Super Rugby season. Next in line for me would probably be the Highlanders Josh Bekhuis who has been consistent all season, and has managed to keep Tom Donnelly (an All Black last year) out of the starting lineup. Rob Simmons has impressed me for the Reds, while Sam Whitelock has been good, but has been injured for most of the season.
4. Nathan Sharpe
As others have mentioned he has lead the Force brilliantly; this has probably been his most impressive Super Rugby season. Anthony Boric has had a good season for the Blues, while Jarred Hoeata has been strong all season for the Highlanders.
3. Owen Franks
Just keeps getting better. Part of a dominant Crusaders scrum, and has a phenomenal work-rate around the park. Runner up Ben Franks (see Owen Franks). Sekope Kepu has also had a strong season for the Waratahs.
2. Stephen Moore
Been one of the few Brumbies players to perform every week. Powerful with the ball in hand, and all over the park on defence. There have been a number of other strong performer at hooker: Tatafu Polotu-Nau has been powerful for the Waratahs, as has Bismark du Plessis for the Stormers, while Kevin Mealamu has been consistent all season for the Blues. Andrian Strauss have been impressive for the Cheetahs since he returned from injury as well.
1. Wyatt Crockett.
Been part of a dominant scrum all season, and has been everywhere around the park. Jamie MacKintosh and Coenie Oosthuizen have both been great around the park, but have failed at one of the primary duties of a prop forward: scrummaging. MacKintosh as been driven back at scrum time almost every week, while Coenie Oosthuizen has been penalised at least 2-3 times a game at scrum time. Some of Oosthuizen's work around the park has been phenomenal for a guy of his size; some of the stats I've seen suggest he leads the whole competition in pilfers!

Last edited:
7. Liam Messam-out of position, but he's been damn good

I think one of messam's best games this season was with a 7 on his back.

I think I'll do a 15 but to be totally honest I dont watch most games that dont have a NZ team involved. Hardly see any SA home games because of the time difference.

15. Kurtley Beale - Deadly on the counter attack
14. Zac Guildford - Insane workrate and skills
13. Richard Kahui - He's wasted outside the worst starting 12 in NZ
12. Ma'a Nonu - found some late form after the first half of the season belonged to sonny Bill.
11. Digby Ioane - Mad power
10. Dan Carter - Simply too much class, missed games but he's still clearly #1
9. Sarel Pretorious - Really impressive player
8. Fritz Lee - Missed a few games early season but he's been very strong in the last couple of months.
7. David Pocock - Strong dude
6. Liam Messam - outstanding individuel season in a side that has missfired. His stats are sick.
5. Victor Matfield - Old Warrior
4. Andries Bekker - Scary size and good skill
3. Ben Franks - Honestly think right now he's shadowing his brother.
2. Bismarck du Plessis - Bit of a beast really
1. Wyatt Crockett - Monster season. Great scrum, great defense, powerful runner and even good at swinging into the backline as a link man.

darwin
Big call to overlook mealamu for Moore. No way I would pick that.

darwin
Big call to overlook mealamu for Moore. No way I would pick that.
Moore has been outstanding in an under-performing Brumbies team; his selection is probably influenced by his brilliant performances over the last couple of weeks. Mealamu has been good all season, but I don't think he's been as impressive as Moore or Bismark du Plessis (who would have probably been my second choice).

Latest posts