If anyone is looking for a haka translation:

Arise, children of the Fatherland,
The day of glory has arrived!
Against us of tyranny
The bloody banner is raised, (repeat)
Do you hear, in the countryside,
The roar of those ferocious soldiers?
They're coming right into our arms
To cut the throats of our sons and women!

To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
Let's march, let's march!
That an impure blood
Waters our furrows!

All I have to say is respect to the French. Pretty much the only team who confronts the haka and then backs it up on the field.

ROOSEVELT, Utah -- Police in a small Utah town are being accused of overreacting after using pepper spray to break up a group of Polynesian men and boys performing a traditional dance called the Haka after a high school football game.

The police action came after a pair of officers unsuccessfully attempted to disperse the dozen or so performers who were blocking an exit after the Union-Uintah game Thursday night, the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune reported.

A form of the Haka has been popularized by rugby players in New Zealand who chant, beat their chests and gesture aggressively before matches. The Maori tradition also can include fierce facial expressions. Haka are now performed at football and rugby games around the world.

The group in Roosevelt, a town of 8,000, had traveled about 125 miles east from the Salt Lake City area to watch a relative play his final game for Union, which lost to rival Uintah and finished the season without a victory.

The group reportedly was trying to boost Union's morale with the Haka as the players left the field.

Spectators, coaches and players told police that everything was fine and they should let the men perform, Jessica Rasmussen said, but officers asked them to make room and started using pepper spray.

Rasmussen said she and other bystanders also got spray in their eyes, ears and mouths.

Union fan Jason Kelly said the way police reacted was an embarrassment to the community of Roosevelt.

"I've never seen anything like it," Kelly said. "It was totally unprovoked."

Police said the incident is under investigation, and anyone wanting to lodge a complaint should contact the department.

Police said many people in the crowd knew the group was going to dance, but the two officers and others didn't.

Spectator Shawn Mitchell said while he didn't view the dancers as a threat, the impromptu performance might have played a role in how police responded.

"If they're going to do something like (the Haka), maybe some planning could be done ahead of time," he said.

This is weird

Last edited by a moderator:

Against us of tyranny

To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
That an impure blood
Waters our furrows!

Which Haka is that?

EDIT: Doh, I just realised which one. Its Kapa O Froggie

Last edited:
^^^

"I will sue your ass.." is all I heard at the end LOL. Ah, police overreaction. Nothing new.

Totally worth it.

EDIT.
Actually, it makes the response even tastier knowing they were fined afterwards.

EDIT 2.
I know the rule is the rule but a team has the right to perform a tribal dance puking at our faces saying they'll cut our throats and another one gets fined for holding hands and walking towards them in a manly yet a tad gay way.
Funny.

EDIT 3.
That's fined, but according to the rule, turning your back playing tarot isn't. Rugby is going wrooong.

Last edited:
Which Haka is that?
It's "Haka aux citoyens !" ;)

More seriously, I think France should get fined. A rule is a rule. They weren't allowed to cross the 50m line. Even for 10cm.
We really dont give a f### about the fine itself, their "V" and "march" up to the line was awesome and never disrespectful, but what about futures Hakas ? This should become some kind of "precedent", and who knows what may happen one day ?

Against us of tyranny

To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
That an impure blood
Waters our furrows!
That's Les Marsielles.

Against us of tyranny

To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
That an impure blood
Waters our furrows!

You made this up right?

Did New Zealand get fined for the throat slitting gesture, which was also banned a while ago? Because It's pathetic that the 'untouchable' Haka gets confronted in such a great way, but then the IRB slaps France with a fine. The way New Zealand runs everything in the rugby world is really starting to irk me.

Did New Zealand get fined for the throat slitting gesture, which was also banned a while ago? Because It's pathetic that the 'untouchable' Haka gets confronted in such a great way, but then the IRB slaps France with a fine. The way New Zealand runs everything in the rugby world is really starting to irk me.

Pfft, what would the world of rugby do without New Zealand as their fall guy.

Nothings seems to unite this forum more than a collective hate for New Zealand.

LOL, that's exactly how the Saffas here feel. And I believe the French here feel now as well. And the English for that matter as well. And the Aussies after Cooper's cheap shots. Etc etc.

LOL, that's exactly how the Saffas here feel. And I believe the French here feel now as well. And the English for that matter as well. And the Aussies after Cooper's cheap shots. Etc etc.
If you've won a world cup, everyone hates you.
Jealousy, I call it :p

(With the French thrown in for good measure - probably because of Lievremonts moustache)

Whith this decision of IRB, the humiliation of the french rugby continuous while we cry our defeat
We should let the Anglo-Saxons play the rugby without us because according to them we are the shame of this sport.

I don't hate The New Zealand team. I love them. I hate that the IRB reside in their buttocks though.

Can The major sporting authorities of this world get any more pompous and pointless!

The Haka is a psychologically unfair advantage BUT a great bit of sporting theatre that rugby fans love to see when the ABs play their team.

Surely the oposition have the right to respond how they see fit and in turn reverse the psychology, provided there is no physical contact. Waiting to see what your teams response is is all part of the fun!

FFS IRB get over yourselves!!!!!!!!

i agree that the teams should be able to face it however they want.

French response to the haka.. cringe

Did anyone else find what the French were doing a bit embarrassing? I thought it looked ridiculously contrived and pre-meditated.. and just generally pretty odd. I'm all for an impassioned spontaneous response to the haka, but the holding hands arrow-head thing was clearly coaches instructions and looked hideously artificial and naff.

They can slit their throats but cannot have a team stand within 10 metres.

Sorrry, thats first class bullshit.

Latest posts