• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Racist English morons hakarena

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillEnglishman

Academy Player
The England Rugby posh boys 'hakarena' is an to insult Maori culture. It's ignorant and racist. The fact that white people in NZ do the haka too is seen as cultural solidarity with a previously oppressed group, and evidence of a shared history and future. This is the equivalent of shouting 'woo, woo, woo!' at an indigenous American. I wonder if they thought the All Blacks needed a little more inspiration. I hope they get absolutely hammered.

(I'm English, living in NZ)

It's xenophobic towards England to suggest they can be racist, even with statistics, polling and first hand accounts. I suggest you move on pal.

On a serious note, is this guy for real? Interested to know from the IP check.

They were taking the ***** out of themselves, saying if they had a Haka, that would be the English version.

In all honesty it was petty and embarrassing. But they were making fun of themselves.. so no harm done.

Last edited:
The England Rugby posh boys 'hakarena' is an to insult Maori culture. It's ignorant and racist. The fact that white people in NZ do the haka too is seen as cultural solidarity with a previously oppressed group, and evidence of a shared history and future. This is the equivalent of shouting 'woo, woo, woo!' at an indigenous American. I wonder if they thought the All Blacks needed a little more inspiration. I hope they get absolutely hammered.

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing (at best). I like the fact the the ABs camp barely acknowledged it though. Obviously they got asked about it at press conferences ect, but they pretty much ignored it.

The interesting point though is that Haka mean a lot to Maori culture, NZers, and the ABs. Whilst the ABs are not really showing it, I have no doubt they will be pretty ****** off being closed doors. No doubt they will use it as motivation in some form.

'It's xenophobic towards England to suggest they can be racist, even with statistics, polling and first hand accounts' can we have that in English mate? And yes I'm real.

'It's xenophobic towards England to suggest they can be racist, even with statistics, polling and first hand accounts' can we have that in English mate? And yes I'm real.

Just a joke from another thread, when the English were claiming xenophobia towards themselves and I suggested they could also be xenophobic in their society as well and provided stats and a first hand account, but it got labelled BS.

It is insulting indeed, against themselves.

And their families.

Who cares. This stuff shouldn't bother you.

Who cares. This stuff shouldn't bother you.
It's pretty important to a lot of people bro. No issues if you are fine with it, but doesn't mean everyone else should be too!

I posted this because someone in the UK thought I would find it funny, since I'm living in NZ. The UK is drifting ever more to the right politically, and this is reflected in their casual racism. Roll on citizenship...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, however in no way was the Hakarena Racist or mean't as a mark of disrespect to Maori Culture, it was a joke pure and simple, if you choose to get offended on behalf of the NZ nation that your choice.... however if we are talking of disrespect, you need to look no further than the NZ Herald Facebook feed or comments section on the website... it essentially entails

Bloody Poms
England are crap and have no chance of getting out of the group
Poms are dicks
So on and so on, ad nauseum.

Now I love living in NZ, but the 2 things that are annoying are Auckland Drivers and the ABE nonsense that I hear everyday, the vitriol that is displayed against the English for daring to respond to a Haka with the crowd singing a song is worry, not to mention the down playing of any England game (especially the display against Fiji), and bigging up of the ABs displays even though I thought they played worse than England in their opening match.

However as a long time lurker, this forum doesn't seem to be of that mold, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this forum, however in no way was the Hakarena Racist or mean't as a mark of disrespect to Maori Culture, it was a joke pure and simple, if you choose to get offended on behalf of the NZ nation that your choice.... however if we are talking of disrespect, you need to look no further than the NZ Herald Facebook feed or comments section on the website... it essentially entails

Bloody Poms
England are crap and have no change of getting out of the group
Poms are dicks
So on and so on, ad nauseum.

Now I love living in NZ, but the 2 things that are annoying are Auckland Drivers and the ABE nonsense that I hear everyday, the vitriol that is displayed against the English for daring to respond to a Haka with the crowd singing a song is worry, not to mention the down playing of any England game (especially the display against Fiji), and bigging up of the ABs displays even though I thought they played worse than England in their opening match.

However as a long time lurker, this forum doesn't seem to be of that mold, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You know the old saying about two wrongs bro. This thread can be turned into a "who's more racist" thread if you want, and we can cite all the dumb ass racist examples we can find. Not sure it will get us anywhere if you ask me though.

By the way, I'm not calling this racist. A joke gone wrong I guess. But pretty culturally insensitive and has certainly offended some and rightfully so I think.

Last edited:
ABs2011, sorry that wasn't my intention, but I don't think either entails racism, however huge amounts of disrespect, that goes beyond banter from a certain section of Aotearoa.... happy to cut and paste what I'm talking about if it clarifies my point... however it would be good if we could all get off our high horses and enjoy a bit of respectful banter, without getting malicious or calling the lack of respect card!!

Personally I find the word POM offensive but I choose to ignore it!

ABs2011, sorry that wasn't my intention, but I don't think either entails racism, however huge amounts of disrespect, that goes beyond banter from a certain section of Aotearoa.... happy to cut and paste what I'm talking about if it clarifies my point... however it would be good if we could all get off our high horses and enjoy a bit of respectful banter, without getting malicious or calling the lack of respect card!!

Personally I find the word POM offensive but I choose to ignore it!

OK.

Yeah man, I have lived in NZ for 20 odd years and travelled the world for 10+ years. I've seen my fair share of idiots both home and abroad. I'm well aware of the dumb, and at time racist stuff some Kiwis say. Often these people have no idea of the effects of what they are saying or how wrong it is - but still inexcusable. At times though they are simply ignorant, close minded idiots who often haven't seen much time out of there home towns. It's sad.

The only thing I'll say is that without getting on a high horse I do think the Hakarena was a mistake. I've talked to a few people about it, and several (Maori and non-Maori) found it pretty offensive. I can see it was supposed to be a joke, but I'm not sure how well thought through it was.

I don't get offended easily so personally its not a big deal, and in the greater scheme of things its not a big deal either, just a bit of a shame I guess.

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry

I didn't use the word 'offensive' at all, and I completely agree with Stephen Fry here. The word I used was 'insult', and this was backed up by a sense of the ignorance of the classes from which English Rugby Union tends to be drawn. I was as embarrassed by this as I am by David Cameron putting his c**k in a pig's mouth. We are ruled by upper-class idiots, and NZ history, and the ABs tradition, it seems to me, stamps all over that.

Oh Puh-lease! I am more concerned about the disgraceful behaviour of boorish fans booing an opposition captain after the game than I am about this.

The "hakarena" is just a bit of harmless banter, and most importantly, we see Matt Dawson making himself look like a complete dick! All Dawson has done here is prove once and for all that white guys can't dance!!!

(I'm English born but 100% All Blacks fan, with two left feet, and living in NZ)

Last edited:
NO - This thread is NOT happening. No way, no sir. I am not wasting any more time on this. No. The chance for this thread what when the hakarena actually was released prior to the Rugby World Cup: Or in the "Is everyone racist against English people? Say no and you are wrong, say yes and you're a dick - Thread". This is not going to continue. Nipping this one in the bud. Good bye. Problems with this decision please PM me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts