• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Frank Halai the next Jonah Lomu?

J

jawmalawm24

Wesley College, 17 years old, 6'4 and runs the 100m in 11sec. Just saw an interview on closeup about him looks very promising.

Last thing they need to do in that case is start touting him that much at that age, that's a hell of a label to carry at only 17 years old.

Even if he is too young to remember how good Lomu really was.

pffft there are lots of guys that age that can do that and are that size. The question is: is he any good at rugby? We'll see how he is in 2 or 3 years.

Yeah he is pretty good scored 38 tries last season for Wesley College 1st XV. He's playing in the Counties Manakau Steelers vs Wellington Lions game tommorow in the Air New Zealand Cup. He'll be playing alongside Lelia Masaga the Waikato chiefs rising star so he might be able to help him out.

You have to keep in mind that Wesley's 1st XV is in a pretty useless area. Their only competition is Manurewa High. They should've joined the Auckland zone along with Manurewa, in the tightest competition there is in NZ.

He's a bright prospect, but he's lacking one thing Lomu had. Size. He's pretty skinny compared to Lomu. He's pretty strong though, he's a bridge between Lomu and Rokocoko, and that's never a bad thing.

I'd like to see how he goes up against men, cos that's a whole different zone altogether.

Don't call him the next Lomu. Look at what happened to Rodzilla, he was called the answer to Jonah Lomu lol.

Last thing they need to do in that case is start touting him that much at that age, that's a hell of a label to carry at only 17 years old.

Even if he is too young to remember how good Lomu really was. [/b]

Its what we in NZ call player grooming... Remember Jonah Lomu was groomed at the age of 14 years old, he was first introduced to counties rugby 7s team by Eric Rush..Then his career blossomed from there..What you have to realize is Wesley Collage is 1 of the most successful Rugby factory's in NZ where Rugby player's are scouted from all over NZ and offered a rugby scholarship. The player's from there rugby academy are groomed from a very young age...Other standout player's who are coming up through the age groups are Uini Antonio, August pulu, and Tau Mata'afa also from Wesley Collage these are some very very big boy's. Some tipping the scale's at 120k

Also another player Worth mentioning Tim Nanai Williams from Manurewa High school who also plays for Counties Prems And along with 5 other Wesley players have been Selected for NZ secondary schools camp. Tim run's the 100m in 10 seconds and averages 4 try's a game in the Counties schoolboy first 15 competition Ive seen a few of this guys games and this guy can motor. He is also the Brother of block busting Blues number 8 Nick Williams

Personally wouldn't surprise me if the entire Wesley College Backline was at least 6.4 and High School Sprinters.

Cheers for the info fullaz I didn't know nafing bout Frank Halai just saw the story on closeup and they were calling him the next Jonah so I thought it'll be worth a mention.

Yeah I seen a story on that Tim Nainai Williams didn't know it was Nick Williams lil bro looks like another good up and coming player.

Spies should have been the next Lomu. Apparently he can, or could, run the 100m in under 11 seconds which is interesting considering he's currently a number 8 (used to be a winger).

You have to keep in mind that Wesley's 1st XV is in a pretty useless area. Their only competition is Manurewa High. They should've joined the Auckland zone along with Manurewa, in the tightest competition there is in NZ.

He's a bright prospect, but he's lacking one thing Lomu had. Size. He's pretty skinny compared to Lomu. He's pretty strong though, he's a bridge between Lomu and Rokocoko, and that's never a bad thing.

I'd like to see how he goes up against men, cos that's a whole different zone altogether.

Don't call him the next Lomu. Look at what happened to Rodzilla, he was called the answer to Jonah Lomu lol.
[/b]

hey wesley not useless if u think were useless dan cme come down for a viait and bring a rugby ball so we can discuss wat u on bwt by the way this be frank

You have to keep in mind that Wesley's 1st XV is in a pretty useless area. Their only competition is Manurewa High. They should've joined the Auckland zone along with Manurewa, in the tightest competition there is in NZ. [/b]

Pukekohe high school 1st's pretty good, there lying second on the charts at the moment behind wesley then comes Rewa High puke have beaten Wesley in the pre season game's so Counties competition is pretty much healthy if you ask me :)

What you have to realize is Wesley Collage is 1 of the most successful Rugby factory's in NZ where Rugby player's are scouted from all over NZ and offered a rugby scholarship.

[/b]

Are you sure it's only from around NZ??

<div class='quotemain'>
What you have to realize is Wesley Collage is 1 of the most successful Rugby factory's in NZ where Rugby player's are scouted from all over NZ and offered a rugby scholarship.

[/b]

Are you sure it's only from around NZ??

[/b][/quote]

They do look around but NZ has 1st choice, i know the committee board member's who are talent scouts at Wesley... & They say they look in there own back yards but if they see something worth looking at in the Islands they offer them a Rugby scholarship (note) they dont hold them to ransom if thats what you mean :p

If they go they go, but to there own will

Also this weekend Manurewa High School take on the might of Wesley Collage at Mt Smart stadium #1 field this weekend for the Counties 1st 15 battle for supremacy...Thats gonna be a kracker

ummm hey true legend,im sorry but pukekohe have neva beaten wesley,they havent evn come close 2 beating them eva.they couldnt evn beat the wesley 2nd xv.wesley hasent lost in both the 1st xv comp and the under 21 comp in counties in 11years

We will probbably never see another Lomu at least in our lifetime. A HGH lomu maybe....

Wow. 6 foot 4 and can run the 100 meters in 11 seconds. He sounds like a handfull. I just watched that closeup video and he looked alright although it will be intresting to see how he does against men because he'll b euse to just running straight though people. Then again there arent that many 6 foot 4 wingers!

mm..I have a friend that can run 100 in 11.7 seconds.. but he's not a rugbier ..

Latest posts