Ouedraogo
(Montpellier)
Picamoles (Montpellier)

Chabal (Sale)
Nallet
(cap, Castres)
Millo-Chluski (Toulouse)
Thion (Biarritz)

Szarzewski (Stade Français) Kayser (Leicester) Guirado (Perpignan)

Lecouls (Toulouse)
Mas (Perpignan)
Faure (Sale)
Barcella
(Biarritz)

They're back: Poitrenaud, Fritz, Beauxis, Bonnaire, Thion
Notable absents: Michalak, Trinh-Duc, Traille (not good enough), Clerc, Harinordoquy, Servat, Skrela (return form injuries)
Almost newcomers: Mermoz, Chouly (were picked for the suicidal summer test in NZ the past two years, nothing more)
Could have been there, finally not: Dupuy, Domingo, Ducalcon, Bastareaud...

One fly-half only and a unique occasion for Beauxis to take the lead in view of 2011. I guess that Elissalde, Parra or Baby should be the FH replacement. Good to see Fritz and Bonnaire back in the game. More doubtful about Poitrenaud and Thion but we'll see... and no Vincent Clerc against Ireland. :(

I would have thought that Clerc might just get in ahead of Poitrenaud given his record at international level. Given the misery he's inflicted on us I doubt there'll be too many Irish supporters shedding any tears over his exclusion.

What's his form been like though since he's returned from injury, certainly got caught out defensively on Saturday.

Only one fly half is a strange move and certainly makes planning easier for the other coaches.

I'm not too surprised about the omissions of Michalak, Harinordoquy, Servat and Skrela, but no Clerc and Trinh-duc???

Also a bit surprised by the inclusion of Thion, I thought he'd be about finished by now. Looking forward to Barcella especially.

Clerc is returning from a long injury. He scored a nice try against Glasgow last week, but he was a little shaky in defense too. Too soon I guess. And Trinh-Duc, like Michalak, is in bad form right now... plus Lievremont said to the media that he wanted a player able to take all the responsabilities of the 10 jersey, and this include the kicking game of course. That's not the case of these two players until now... Beauxis seems to fit into this role, except that he's playing at fullback for Paris recently.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Jan 21 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Clerc is returning from a long injury. He scored a nice try against Glasgow last week, but he was a little shaky in defense too. Too soon I guess. And Trinh-Duc, like Michalak, is in bad form right now... plus Lievremont said to the media that he wanted a player able to take all the responsabilities of the 10 jersey, and this include the kicking game of course. That's not the case of these two players until now... Beauxis seems to fit into this role, except that he's playing at fullback for Paris recently.[/b]

Who do you think will take the role of back-up FH? Can't Parra play there as well?

Elissalde, Parra, Baby and even Mermoz can play at 10. But I think Elissalde will be the back-up FH, because he played well at this position last year during H-Cup & Top 14, and I expect Tillous-Bordes to start after his impressive game against Australia in November. And I think JBE will play 10 too this week against Bath. But Lievremont said that the squad may change during the Tournament, so I believe that Skrela or Traille could join the squad after the Ireland game.

When you see these squads, you have to remember that they are picked on current form, availability and how the team will actually play on the field. Sure, Clerc is an awesome finisher but if his defence is lacking currently, then it's not a case of saying he's not good enough.. it's saying that it would damage his place. Clerc will be a first on the sheet usually, but taking plus and negative into account.. he's not 100%.

Same with Michalak. At the moment he isn't in form and is being carried somewhat. Just because he has 50 caps, that doesn't make him infallable. At key positions like #10, you can't hide at test level.

I have never seen how you can pick a player on anything other than current form. You get noticed with your form to get picked in the first place. You field a player who is not 100% at his game and they will fail. It's just a question of how much and how it costs the team.. or should i say.. if you do field them, how much can you afford to lose to waste?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Jan 21 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When you see these squads, you have to remember that they are picked on current form, availability and how the team will actually play on the field. Sure, Clerc is an awesome finisher but if his defence is lacking currently, then it's not a case of saying he's not good enough.. it's saying that it would damage his place. Clerc will be a first on the sheet usually, but taking plus and negative into account.. he's not 100%.

Same with Michalak. At the moment he isn't in form and is being carried somewhat. Just because he has 50 caps, that doesn't make him infallable. At key positions like #10, you can't hide at test level.

I have never seen how you can pick a player on anything other than current form. You get noticed with your form to get picked in the first place. You field a player who is not 100% at his game and they will fail. It's just a question of how much and how it costs the team.. or should i say.. if you do field them, how much can you afford to lose to waste?[/b]

You are basically right provided you've got the time required to perform some team training. France team will have only a handful of days to train so a coach may prefer to select a player which is not at his best but who knows team's game plan over a newbie who would need more time.

Still, wouldn't Clerc be able to offer more than, say Palisson?

I'm hoping Medard will start btw, a back three of Medard, Malzieu and Rougerie would be a killer combo. I like Heymans more as a player, but I'm hoping he'll be used as an impact sub,
so they can start with their most stable players, just like I'm hoping they leave guys like Nallet, Jauzion and Lecouls on the bench to try out the young guys.

François Trinh-Duc has been called into the squad after Florian Fritz was injured in Toulouse's drawn match yesterday at Bath.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nidhogg @ Jan 21 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Still, wouldn't Clerc be able to offer more than, say Palisson?

I'm hoping Medard will start btw, a back three of Medard, Malzieu and Rougerie would be a killer combo. I like Heymans more as a player, but I'm hoping he'll be used as an impact sub,
so they can start with their most stable players, just like I'm hoping they leave guys like Nallet, Jauzion and Lecouls on the bench to try out the young guys.[/b]

Clerc has just come back from a very serious injury, it is better to leave him time to get back at his top level. I would not be surprised if he was called for the latest rounds of the 6N.

Here's the French squad for the Ireland and Scotland matches.

Backs - Médard, Poitrenaud, Heymans, Malzieu, Jauzion, Baby, Fritz, Beauxis, Parra, Tillous-Borde.

Forwards - Dusautoir, Picamoles, Ouedraogo, Harinordoquy, Nallet (cap.), Chabal, Millo-Chluski, Barcella, Faure, Lecouls, Mas, Szarzewski, Kayser.

I thought that Fritz had been ruled out but there you go, Ellisalde misses out with an ankle injury.

Surprised not to see Ellissalde in. But the reason of his missing is not his injury IMO, but the few experiences he had this year as 9 (played a bit with Michalak, but more oftenly associated as 10 with Kelleher).

Tillous Borde / Beauxis will certainly start, as Parra would enter in the last minutes

I don't present the backs, will first do the job to recept the excellent BOD kicks (Poitrenaud was magnificient last week versus Bath, especially in the kicks receptions, missing none of them despite the rain shower).

In the forward, I'm a bit worried about Barcella and Nallet. The rest as prooved what they're able to versus Argentina and Australia in last november.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Jan 28 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Surprised not to see Ellissalde in. But the reason of his missing is not his injury IMO, but the few experiences he had this year as 9 (played a bit with Michalak, but more oftenly associated as 10 with Kelleher).

Tillous Borde / Beauxis will certainly start, as Parra would enter in the last minutes

I don't present the backs, will first do the job to recept the excellent BOD kicks (Poitrenaud was magnificient last week versus Bath, especially in the kicks receptions, missing none of them despite the rain shower).

In the forward, I'm a bit worried about Barcella and Nallet. The rest as prooved what they're able to versus Argentina and Australia in last november.[/b]

BOD is woeful with the boot

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Jan 29 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

In the forward, I'm a bit worried about Barcella and Nallet. The rest as prooved what they're able to versus Argentina and Australia in last november.[/b]
Thought it would have made more sense placing Ellissalde on the bench, if he really isn't injured. He could have covered both scrum-half and fly-half.

I think the 2 scrum halves are better options but I would have thought Lievremont would have picked a back up fly half.

My mistake, I should have added a smiley An !! His kicks are so nice occasions for counter attacks...

Don't understand also Parra as second scrum half. Marc Lievremont told that he wanted to give him some game time, but find this option a bit light for an opening game, moreover versus Ireland. Parra played not a lot in his club and Bourgoin is not especially brilliant this season.

Find Dupuy or Durand would have been a better choice

Yeah, Dupuy was very good in the few game I saw from Leicester this season, could any GP watcher confirm that ?

But Lievremont seems to have a strong faith in Parra, let's see what he can do. He was solid in is unique real test against England last year... but at the moment Tillous Borde is the N°1, he's the physical modern scrum half and showed some authority in his first caps.

Yachvili is getting better too. We'll see a strong competition for the N°9 jersey...

Latest posts