• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaelic Football

V

Vuky

I got my hands on second International Rules Football game played this year. What a sport is all I can say. Anybody have GAA games? What are Irish chances next year?

Well it was hardly surprising that we got a doing this year considering the lack of physicality in our team, we were a bunch of midgets. If our best suited players were picked I'd be confident that we can reverse the trend next year.

Interestingly enough, next year should see the series played under floodlights in Ireland for the first time. Apparently there's a need to increase the viewing figures in Australia.

I cant see Ireland winning another match now the rules have changed for selection.

Australia dont have to pick the all Australian team anymore and can choose players suited to the round ball game as they did this year with no name players that are quick and skillfull.

In the past we have been forced to pick a set team that included the best players of the AFL year they were unsuited the international rules game which is so different from aussie rules( its basically gaelic football with tackling).

just imagine giving soccer players a rugby ball to kick around.

There'll be a new coach for Ireland, hopefully new ideas this time round as well, can't just rest on the laurels of a heavy series win the previous time round. Hopefully we'll see a similar approach from the Aussies next October

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 3 2006, 01:07 AM
where can you view this in the uk.
There are plenty of Irish pubs in Great Britain, it should be easy to find one where to watch these matchs.

Plus there's always Setanta who show them in the pubs, and if all else fails you could watch the Ulster matches on BBC NI

BBC don't have live ulster champ games anymore. Setanta outbid them for their share of the market. They just have highlights on sunday nights.

But they showed live championship matches during the season, they were the only ones who showed the Ulster final live.

yeah ... the Ulster Championship games were on BBC 2 during the year with the beanpole Jerome presenting... tho I'd recommend RTE match coverage & studio analysis over the BBC's any day

And wasn't the Ulster draw for '06 brought forward to suit TV, namely BBC?

sorry for the misinformation i was away all summer. the champ games i saw were just replays on Setanta USA. BBC aren't too bad McHugh and Burns are pretty insightful. Jerome not so.

there are no decent gaa commentators. they don't exist.
<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
In the past we have been forced to pick a set team that included the best players of the AFL year they were unsuited the international rules game which is so different from aussie rules( its basically gaelic football with tackling).

just imagine giving soccer players a rugby ball to kick around[/b]

well from what I saw Irish were hugly disadvantage by more phisical contact. it is more like getting soccer players to play rugby. also i would asume it is much easier to kick and recive round ball after u kicked and catched that aussie football all your life.

not that i am on Irish side or anything but they were just roughed time after time by Aussies. and i will never forget those aussie commentators in game 2 when cris jonhson closelined and tooke the head off from that guy. it was something like

-John you will have to admitt this was over the top
-Well, hmmm....

Originally posted by Vuky@Jan 8 2006, 02:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

just imagine giving soccer players a rugby ball to kick around

well from what I saw Irish were hugly disadvantage by more phisical contact. it is more like getting soccer players to play rugby. also i would asume it is much easier to kick and recive round ball after u kicked and catched that aussie football all your life.

not that i am on Irish side or anything but they were just roughed time after time by Aussies. and i will never forget those aussie commentators in game 2 when cris jonhson closelined and tooke the head off from that guy. it was something like

-John you will have to admitt this was over the top
-Well, hmmm.... [/b][/quote]
well last years aussie team was full of the smallest players in the AFL so i think the Irish just need to toughen up or send the biggest players they got coz it aint gonna get any easier, i thought the irish were meant to be tough but i havn't seen 1 gealic footballer that can fight for shite ,every year there's atleast 2 of there players KO'ed.

secondly its very different kicking a round ball to an aussie rules ball you have to change your whole kicking style around which isn't easy at all, and also aussie rules is played on a ground atleast 3 times the size of the pitches used in the international rules and gaelic football.

Lastly that Cris Johnson closeline didnt look great but that's something that happens in aussie rules all the time its very instinctual, i think the way he got up and started laying out irish guys was what the were refering to as over the top and he defenitley deserved the sending off but you have to admit it was very cool to watch. They dont get get much of a chance to have a good punch in the AFL anymore with the big suspensions in modern day footy so when it comes time to play the international rules game its anything goes........and that makes great viewing
<

as Reg would say " BRING BACK THE BIFF"

RegReagan002.jpg

"LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR"
<

wbmcclure_wideweb__470x319,0.jpg

The Aussies were certainly over the top with the physical stuff in the first test, I mean closeline tackles and fists flying, The Johnson incident was pathetic and if that's just part and parcel of Aussie Rules they can keep there's no place for it in any sport. I'm all for a good fist fight in the Int Rules but the closeline is taking it a tad far.

As i said the closeline happens alot in aussie rules its very instinctual when someone sends you the wrong way you stick an arm out ,im not condoning it im just saying it happens in the AFL and also both Rugby codes quite often.

The Irish need to realize that aussie rules is the most aggresive team sport on the planet and what happens on the field is part of the aussie game i wouldnt want it any other way.

The Irish players that have played Aussie rules all came out and said on Austrailian TV after the series that the way the aussies played was not dirty at all and is very much apart of the game and that the irish ppl and press need to watch aussie rules and stop complaining.That guy that played for the irish in the series that has the brothers trying out for carlton said the exact same thing.

When Johnson got up the irish players started runing in to stick up for there team mate (which they should do more often) and were going in to have a go at Johnson(i'd expect nothing less) so he started defending himself by decking everyone that tried to take him on( also nothing wrong with that) he probly would have gone through there whole team if they didnt start running.
<

I mean seriously.......they need to learn how to fight its just embarrassing

This is Ireland's "so called" toughest player
<

international.jpg

Latest posts