• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

uls9WUm.jpg

Am I the only one struggling to really give a sh*t about the battle for the throne now? Always felt like the earlier seasons had the theme that the intrigue around who held the throne was the petty, bloodthirsty squabbles of the nobility that was gonna pale in comparison to the threat from the north.

Like Varys is going on about how whoever wins the thrones puts millions of peoples lives are at stake etc, but honestly, bar those in Kings Landing / in the two armies... are they?

Life for the average peasant's life is probs not gonna change that much no matter who wins the throne? They know what Cersei is (blowing the sept up etc.) but clearly don't care that much as there's plenty running to the city for safety? They talk about it in the earlier seasons with everyone telling Viserys that the common people pray for his return (and him being daft enough to believe it) when in reality they really only worry about where their next meal is coming from.

If the walkers and the dead were still coming for them though, everyone, whether rich or poor, would still be fooked...

I dunno, just basically means that the whole White Walkers threat was literally just a plot device to even things up between Daenerys and Cersei, which is just disappointing?

Ghost losing an ear in battle for Winterfell makes Jon not even patting him to say goodbye (after saying goodbye to Tormund, Sam and Gilly) even more unforgivable. Surely after Rhaegal's death there is more in the CGI budget for Ghost to play more a role in the next two, even if it is to biting Jon In the ass for being so ungrateful. He can't just go back up north of the wall with Tormund and the wildlings.

Anyone else spot the Starbucks coffee mug? Can't say I did until someone pointed it out. But still....

Did anyone read the supposed plot leaks on Reddit that were released before the episode and got everything right and also has details on the entire ending? I'm obviously not going to spoil it, but if ending I read is legit, it's pretty much not worth watching. I truly hope it's a misdirect though.
I agree the Ghost stuff was so lazy. Like they hadn't really decided how much if any Ghost they were gonna CG in and slotted him into random scenes to get fans off their backs. They probably didn't want Jon interacting with him because it's awkward for them and they simply don't care.

Anyone else spot the Starbucks coffee mug? Can't say I did until someone pointed it out. But still....
Yeah, I had to go back and check after seeing it on twitter and not being 100% convinced it wasn't photoshopped
God knows how that got past the actors/director/camera-men/editors etc. it's clear as day!

Didn't really watch the last two/three seasons so my opinion wouldn't hold as much weight as most. (Read the books fwiw)

I do share the sentiment of a lot here, this season has been tragic and today's episode wasn't worth watching. The politics are boring, battle strategy is being thrown out the window for a few cool shots and there has been very little character development and the development we see is forced. Daenary's (Been a proper ***** since she got the Unsullied if you ask me) is after showing as much compassion as she had in years being genuinely upset at Jorah's death and a few scenes later is as bloodthirsty as ever and set to kill tens of thousands of innocent people, Rhaegal's and the Night King's death were so cheap too. Not sure I'm too fussed watching the next two episodes, I'll definitely be asking if it's worth it first.

The trouble is the stuff that is happening would be fine.
BUT it makes no sense because they are not fleshed out.

Like I've seen people say oh it's GRRM fault he says how he wants things to end.
But it's clear the book is very different and even if the ending is the same how you get their is the most important thing.

Part of me believes that GRRM is holding back to see how the TV series handles it and the reaction.
Another part things HBO has asked GRRM to wait now so that they can do it how they want to in a budget friendly way, and in turn given GRRM a sweetener on all these Spin offs and his involvement in them.

Didn't really watch the last two/three seasons so my opinion wouldn't hold as much weight as most. (Read the books fwiw)

I do share the sentiment of a lot here, this season has been tragic and today's episode wasn't worth watching. The politics are boring, battle strategy is being thrown out the window for a few cool shots and there has been very little character development and the development we see is forced. Daenary's (Been a proper ***** since she got the Unsullied if you ask me) is after showing as much compassion as she had in years being genuinely upset at Jorah's death and a few scenes later is as bloodthirsty as ever and set to kill tens of thousands of innocent people, Rhaegal's and the Night King's death were so cheap too. Not sure I'm too fussed watching the next two episodes, I'll definitely be asking if it's worth it first.

Again that's an issue of time.
Like I can see her being blood thirsty she is her Fathers daughter after all.

But when that Character development should really grow over something like 3 episodes it's over a hour, and feels pushed.

My theory for the end of the show.

Tyrion and Cersei will both die, Jon and Sam will be killed by Dany to cement her claim to the throne, Dany will be killed by Varys when he realizes she's just another tyrant who he's backed since season 1. After all Varys "serves the realm" so it makes sense. Varys will be BBQ by a dragon thus ending the Red witch's prophecy. Sansa will sit atop the iron throne with Jamie and Brienne serving as her Queens Guard, Arya will be the warden of the north and Bran will get wheeled out to new locations to do some staring.

My Vary's prediction seeming a bit more realistic now.

I can safely say I haven't been impressed by this season, the writers started to lose the plot when the 2nd smartest man in the realm was killed by a child after being outwitted by her older sister.....

Every single male character has become as dumb as a brick, every single female character has ominous overtones now. Jon Snow is increasingly becoming more and more like Forrest Gump, Cersei could have ended three of her biggest threats last night with little to no repercussions and didn't.
Giant arrows, kill Drogon, kill Dany, kill Tyrion, kill Greyworm and the gang. Like why didn't she just open up on them? she's never cared about being fair in war.... dumb writing, with a cold calculating ***** suddenly becoming not so ruthless as to execute everyone standing in front of her gate just because she could.
Arya has become an edgelord since she left Faceless man academy and it seems the writers have forgotten that before she left the Assassin school she was all about going home and being Arya Stark, now she's just generic small assassin #1.

Last edited:
Also can I just add how crap was the Bronn, Tyrion and Jamie interaction.
Like after all the chemistry between the three we had that ****.

Crap in what sense? The dialogue between them?

For me it just showed Bronn is and always will be a mercenary. He had a good point about how Houses started and how he intended to start his own. Still I don't think Tyrion intends to keep his promise and give him Highgarden.

It was stupid in the sense Bronn waltzed into a hostile fort with a crossbow, demanded a castle at crossbow point when he's shown himself to care at least a small amount about Tyrion/Jaime (set up the meeting between them at great personal risk, saved Jaime leaving behind his gold), is naive enough to actually think Danaerys would honor this promise and then waltzes out again mid Winter like a character in a comedy play. It's not totally out of character obviously but it was like a satirical charicature of Bronn and a way to nip the weird assassination plotline they put in there to create tension on the bud with no actual resolution we will likely ever see.

I agree the whole sneaking in and out of the castle was clumsy and put that down to the writing and trying to cram too much in. But I never really thought Bronn ultimately gave two shits about Jamie or Tyrion; only enriching himself.

He did bin off the gold to save Jaime from a dragon last season

I always got the impression he genuinely did like Tyrion as well. Think he's just sick of the politics of the whole thing, really - each side trying to play him against the other.

Like he said: find him when the fightings done

I am sure Bronn does like them both. But as he said before the Mountain and the Viper episode when he declined to fight a second time for Tyrion he just likes himself that little bit better.

In his mind him not killing them is enough to show them he likes them. But yeah why not get something more out of it at the same time.

But yeah naive to think Tyrion can keep a promise when he's only the Hand.

I've been thinking, and this has nothing to do with this past episode.

Those babies that were offered to the Night King, what happened to them? There was that one episode where the baby was taken to this stonehenge type place, and placed on some sort of altar before his eyes turned blue. But since then we haven't seen anything about that. And we also haven't seen any baby white walkers crawl around and fighting the living.

Latest posts