• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Thomas: The Movie

King_D'Arcy

First XV
Country Flag
Nauru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-12149569
Ex-Wales rugby union captain Gareth Thomas is in talks with a movie writer about a biopic of his life.

The Crusaders star from Bridgend, who announced he was gay in 2009, has confirmed he is working with a writer.

Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke has said he hopes to play Thomas in a biopic after the pair had talks in London.

Thomas' manager told BBC Wales a scriptwriter had been chosen and Rourke was "hands on" in the production process.

The rugby star was said to be unavailable for comment.

His manager and friend Emanuele Palladino told BBC Wales: "A script writer has been chosen for the film and is getting to known Gareth.

"The idea is that he will be with him throughout January to get to know Gareth as well as he can.

"Mickey is extremely hands on in the whole process of the film and is fully intent in bringing this to fruition."

Thomas has been been keeping fans posted on the movie idea via his page on his Twitter page.

He told them on Monday: "Out for a tough training session. Then the writer for the movie will come today. Let the tough times begin."

Thomas has also been sharing his experiences with US chat show audiences in the last few days.

"My story is of feelings, and overcoming," he told one fan on Twitter who asked why a Hollywood actor in his 50s should play Thomas, born in 1974.

Mickey Rourke wants to play Thomas in a biopic of the rugby player's life
"It's about bringing the inside out, it has nothing to do with a visual presence," Thomas said.

The Hollywood actor has already met with Thomas in London last July and talked about the film idea.

"To be a man who plays rugby who is gay and to live with that secret for the amount of years that Gareth had, to perform at the high level that he performed at, it takes a lot of courage," Rouke has said.

He made the admission on former BBC programme Friday Night with Jonathan Ross when discussing his acting comeback in The Wrestler, a role which saw him nominated for an Academy Award.

Thomas was in the audience that night.
But last week it was his turn in the spotlight.

He appeared on the Ellen DeGeneres chat show in the US in front of a TV audience of millions to talk frankly about his so-called "coming out" experience.
Thomas told the show last week how he used to "pray to be straight".
He related how the first person he told was his ex-wife, Jemma, before broaching the subject with his parents.

And he also spoke of his struggle to conceal his secret from his Welsh team-mates.
The player admitted that other gay sportspeople had confided in him since his public statement.

Thomas returned to the UK late last week in preparation for Monday's pre-season training with the Crusaders, based at Wrexham's Racecourse stadium.

Interesting... Hopefully it's better than Invictus.

I quite enjoyed Invictus.

Up 'n' Under will still be the best Mungoball move. Purely for Samantha Janus' backside.

I wonder how they will portray Ruddock in this.

bladehunters_ogre_photo_01_dp.jpg

But sitting on a throne made out of the bones of the puppies he eats (live) for breakfast

I think having a man in his fifties play Thomas is a pretty bad idea... At least they got someone who can act. There could have been a serious danger of someone like Gerard Butler diving on the role.

Johnson would come out favourably!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think having a man in his fifties play Thomas is a pretty bad idea... At least they got someone who can act. There could have been a serious danger of someone like Gerard Butler diving on the role.

I hear Shane Williams will not be depicted, as they couldn't find anyone worthy enough to portray him.

Edit, @cymro: Yes, he would. It just seems odd how he was involved with the Welsh management at such a time, and now the Ospreys, looking at where they are.

I hear Shane Williams will not be depicted, as they couldn't find anyone worthy enough to portray him.

Edit, @cymro: Yes, he would. It just seems odd how he was involved with the Welsh management at such a time, and now the Ospreys, looking at where they are.

Already been mentioned in subsequent threads!

Apparently Joe Calzaghe wants to be in it, and he's friends with both Thomas and Rourke so there's a good chance he will be

Latest posts