• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Transfer News/Rumours

Bjorn Basson moving to the Bulls who paid Griquas/Cheetahs a release fee since he is signed till end 2011. Great signing by them! Pity for the Cheetahs; along with Mapoe = double wing whammy. Mapoe also a good option at center.

Conrad Hoffman moving to the Sharks ^&*

okay, so today should be the last in the Mapoe saga

Today the Sharks and Cheetahs battle it out in court, here are some stats I picked up from an article on TV

Mapoe is paid R100 000 a year, whilst he is/was a senior player
Robert Ebherson is paid around R700 000 a year, only recently becoming a senior player

Mapoe claims this difference is the reason for him leaving, and he believes it smacks of racial discrimination. (whilst I don't think that, any court in SA will immediately side with the discriminated against black guy, so his comments are fine in a legal sense)

The Cheetahs want R1.5 million for a transfer fee, with his contract ending in 2011. This means they are asking for 15 times what they pay him for only one year.

The sharks have been paying him a considerably higher wage, despite his unavailability.

Hope the Sharks win this case, not only from a supporters point of view, R100 000 a year is ridiculous, especially considering he is around the international stage. FFS some secretaries earn more than that!

Also, John Smit has re-signed with the sharks for 2011.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Although I would hate to see another talented player lost to the Cheetahs, they can't complain. I know they are not the richest of the SA unions but they need to take better care of top players if they don't want the other unions to come round each year with a shopping list. Signing long term contracts and getting release fees is one way the union could bolster its bank account, though, so I do hope the Sahrks pay the R1,5 mil AND give the lad some gametime.

Seriously don't understand why professional rugby in the southern hemisphere still persists with with these 1 or 2 year deals, especially the Lions and Cheetahs.

Professional sport is first and foremost a business, so if a union neglects the financial aspect of things (signing players on good,water-tight and long term contracts), then they won't get any sympathy from either SARU or the SARPA (the players' union), and it is they who are generally called upon to settle disputes.

Take this Basson thing, if what they are saying is correct, and that Griquas have 'sold' Basson without consulting the Cheetahs, then the deal he was on (which details who pays what) is obviously flawed in some way, otherwise the Griquas would have followed an out-line procedure.

Anyways, will be interesting to hear the results of the case.

Mapoe case

The Bloemfontein high court has rejected Mapoe's pleas and has ordered him to report to the Cheetahs camp by Thursday.
The Sharks say they have other legal options to use, and are discussing them, however, they cannot effectively do so until they get hold of Mapoe, whom no one, not the Sharks, nor Cheetahs nor his own legal team can get hold of.
Don't know about him but frankly I would do jack all if I was paid 20% of of my teamates salaries, despite being a more regular fixture in the team

Mapoe case

The Bloemfontein high court has rejected Mapoe's pleas and has ordered him to report to the Cheetahs camp by Thursday.
The Sharks say they have other legal options to use, and are discussing them, however, they cannot effectively do so until they get hold of Mapoe, whom no one, not the Sharks, nor Cheetahs nor his own legal team can get hold of.
Don't know about him but frankly I would do jack all if I was paid 20% of of my teamates salaries, despite being a more regular fixture in the team

Heard the cheetah's want a 1.5 Million Transfer fee.......... he is still contracted to them for 12 months or so, so i dont think anyone is going to coff it up...

Forgot to add that Willem de Waal will leave WP at the end of the CC to play for Treviso

Re Mapoe, if the exchange rate is right Cheetahs are only paying him $14000AUD compared to Ebherson making $105000AUD. Bit of a difference when its shown like that....

Mapoe again

surprise surprise, he is still in Durban, and not in Bloemfontein
he is now claiming leave...

Where is Cosatu when you need it.

Think it is a good move for Griquas and Rose.
This move probably signifies that the Griquas are going to lose one of Naas Olivier or Riaan Viljoen, otherwise I can't see him getting much game time, unless they want him to play at inside centre.

For all the hate speech generated about him, he was a fine player in 2008, until the Lions played the Sharks and he got smashed by a couple of up-and-unders. I think that broke his confidence, as after that he became a liability to the Lions, and became the player he is today.

Hope to see him regain some of that 2008 form

Ryan Kankowski and JP Pietersen have signed a new 3-year contract with the Sharks! Keegan Daniel and Tendai Mtawarira also signed contracts which will end in 2013. Meyer Bosman, Conrad Hoffman and Charl McLeod, while Patrick Lambie and Lwazi Mvovo have signed new 2-year contracts.

This is amazing news guys!

Apparently the Lions found some more piggy banks and are spending their money on Mapoe. Uhm jaaa, @steve-o, Iam a massive shark, and I do agree that Mapoe is a great player, but he missed/skipped/stayed away from his court case three (3) times. Doesn't seem too exited about playing for the worlds' best team.

Well, Mapoe just has to move to a club where he can play regularly and although the Sharks are interested in him I am not sure Mapoe will be a regular starter in Durban. Keeping that in mind, The Lions team is a better choice from his point of view

Well, Mapoe just has to move to a club where he can play regularly and although the Sharks are interested in him I am not sure Mapoe will be a regular starter in Durban. Keeping that in mind, The Lions team is a better choice from his point of view
He would be the first choice for sure! Him and Mike with make a good team. Any news on Tondi? are they going to release him?

Ryan Kankowski and JP Pietersen have signed a new 3-year contract with the Sharks! Keegan Daniel and Tendai Mtawarira also signed contracts which will end in 2013. Meyer Bosman, Conrad Hoffman and Charl McLeod, while Patrick Lambie and Lwazi Mvovo have signed new 2-year contracts.

This is amazing news guys!

Whats the difference between a 3 year contract and one that ends in 2013?

Latest posts