• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Transfer News/Rumours

Dawie Theron has been announced as the Bok u-20s coach.

Big, big, big loss for the Griquas. I think we have just seen the end of the Griquas hopes of challenging for a semi-spot.

EP Kings to me look the only viable option in terms of breaking the top 5 strangle hold

Now if only they were in the 1st Division...

I read that next year the EP Kings will play the 5 SA Super Rugby franchises in preparation of their inclusion in 2013. Although there has not yet been a confirmation, SANZAR and SARU are likely to come to an agreement to add a sixth SA franchise to the Super Rugby competition. I would prefer for some teams from Argentina to be added to the mix since they are joining SANZAR and will play in the new Four Nations format from 2012 onwards but I don't think that will happen any time soon. The Argentine clubs to form franchises won't add anything yet to the Super Rugby competition I am afraid. What would be better though is if Argentina and Uruguay would form a partnership in setting up franchises. There is some amazing talent in both countries and if they mix those two up it might result in some nice franchises for the future.

I am drifting further and further away from the topic itself haha. Lets carry on:

It's a loss for Griquas, as is the departure of Basson. They started off superb by beating the Sharks in round 1 and I was seriously hoping for them to make it to the play offs but once again they couldn't hold on to their form.

However, I do think next year might be the year for Griquas to snatch a surprise final spot or even the win in the Currie Cup. The Super15 is taking so long that it actually ends when the Currie Cup is about to start.

The teams who are not qualifying for the play offs are finished the 18th of june. 2 or 3 weeks later, the Currie Cup starts. There is no way the big 5 are playing with their first squad the first couple of matches. That is where Griquas can take advantage. The problem for the franchises is that it's not just their top players they are missing due to Super Rugby, but also the second choice. The bench has to be filled with 7 players too. This way the clubs who represent the franchises (Or most of it) are forced to use a lot of inexperienced players where Griquas only lose a couple of players to the Cheetahs-franchise.

Apart from that the Currie Cup ends at the end of october while the World Cup is starting in the second week of september. This only leaves about 4 rounds in the Currie Cup for the big guns to play. I sincerly think Griquas will have a decent chance of actually making the play offs next year. Maybe even take the trophy.

Just some players who won't play most of the Currie Cup due to the Super 15 and possibly the World Cup:

Sharks:
Pietersen, Kankowski, Daniel, Alberts, Mvovo, Lambie, Mtawarira, Bismarck and Jannie du Plessis, Ndungane, Hargreaves, McLeod
Western Province:
Vermeulen, de Jongh, de Villiers, Fourie, Aplon, Engelbrecht, Bekker, Januarie, Burger, Habana
Blue Bulls:
Matfield, du Preez, Steenkamp, Spies, van der Merwe, Kirchner, Stegmann, Botha, Morne Steyn, Hougaard, Ralapelle, Basson, Olivier, Potgieter

Lions and Cheetahs are teams Griquas can beat any day.

Yeah, never factored in the WC effect.
Please P Divvy leave Ludik alone

All the other year they don't stand a chance, to say the least. The big guns will get a month rest, which means 4 matches. If Griquas wins 4 they still have 10 matches left in which they play at least 6 matches against the big franchises. I don't see them winning when they play Sharks, Western Province or the Bulls at full strength.

By the way, I forgot to include the Tri Nations into the whole equation. Imagine that.... What an overlap

Super Rugby: February - June
Currie Cup: July - October
Tri Nations: July - August
World Cup: September - October

Let's take for example Morne Steyn. From February till June he will be playing Super 15 rugby. If he makes it through to the final he will play 16 matches in the regular season and 3 in the play offs. That adds up to 19 matches. The final is the 9th of july. Exactly 2 weeks later South Africa starts the Tri Nations which will end the 20th of August for the Springboks. He gets 2 weeks rest before playing another 4 matches in 1 month. The 11th of September the Springboks kick off for the World Cup in Wellington, playing Wales. This is 3 weeks after the Tri Nations ended. When the Springboks make it to the semi's (and afterwards the final or the 3rd place play-off) he plays 7 matches in the World Cup. If his team, the Bulls, make it through to the final he might even be able to play October 29th, only 6 days after the final.

If Morne Steyn, who always plays, does all this, he is busy from early February till the end of October, playing 28 or 29 matches with just 4 weeks in total in between to take a breath.

2011 will be the most exhausting year ever for the big guns of New Zealand and South Africa.

What will happen to the ITM Cup? This year it ended in November. How are they going to play a domestic league when there is a World Cup played in all those stadiums?

Pat Cilliers and Micheal Rhodes have left the Sharks to join the Lions

Pity, to good young local boys

btw Ezequiel your inbox is full, so you can't recieve pms

Last edited:
Rhodes and Cilliers are better off playing for the Lions. More chances of game time there and less competition. They need game time to evolve

I cleaned my inbox. Fire away with those PM's haha

Apparently former Wallabies and Reds boss John Colloney (sp.) is set to take over the Griquas helm, with the departure of Dawie Theron to the Baby Boks last year.

Should be a good coach for them,might raise the profile of the CC in Aus to!

(Sorry I have no link, saw/read it on the telly on Supersport, no article on the website)

Edit: Oh, and the Sharks are looking at securing their own former age-group scrumhalf Tiaan Meyer on loan from the Pumas for the S15

Last edited:
Apparently former Wallabies and Reds boss John Colloney (sp.) is set to take over the Griquas helm, with the departure of Dawie Theron to the Baby Boks last year.

Should be a good coach for them,might raise the profile of the CC in Aus to!

(Sorry I have no link, saw/read it on the telly on Supersport, no article on the website)

Edit: Oh, and the Sharks are looking at securing their own former age-group scrumhalf Tiaan Meyer on loan from the Pumas for the S15

Does that mean the Sharks' scrum half picks look like this: 1 McLeod, 2 Hoffman, 3 Meyer? That would be a talented but very inexperienced line-up.

Does that mean the Sharks' scrum half picks look like this: 1 McLeod, 2 Hoffman, 3 Meyer? That would be a talented but very inexperienced line-up.

It must be, however in the local newspaper I didn't see Meyer's name in the squad to play in the Neo-Tri series or whatever it is called, and he wasn't listed as an injured player

I'm regretting throwing it away <_<

If you look at the Magner League topic, you'll se a link that says that Naas Olivier has signed for Aironi

Unfortunately Cheetahs flank Frans Viljoen is joining Olivier at Aironi.

And the GREAT news for this update is........
Riaan Swanepoel has finally caught on that is as low down the pecking order for a starting berth as a poor sumo wrestler is to snagging a super model in a room fill of rich, male actors!

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. One Dimensional is gone!

Last edited:
If you look at the Magner League topic, you'll se a link that says that Naas Olivier has signed for Aironi

Unfortunately Cheetahs flank Frans Viljoen is joining Olivier at Aironi.

And the GREAT news for this update is........
Riaan Swanepoel has finally caught on that is as low down the pecking order for a starting birth as a poor sumo wrestler is to snagging a super model in a room fill of rich, male actors!

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. One Dimensional is gone!

Is Riaan that bad? Looks like he is going to Clermont for RWC cover.

Is Riaan that bad? Looks like he is going to Clermont for RWC cover.

Well, its a double bonus.

He 'no longer' suits our style of play (not that he ever did), and his absence would mean that whilst the Boks are away, we get to see some youngsters play (albeit mainly as subs).

You guys have a very talented youngster in Paul Jordaan you should invest in, in the Currie Cup this season...

Say its nae sooooo.....

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/sup...ratahs_sign_scrumhalf_Pretorius_from_Cheetahs

Seriously, how can people who are payed money to type out an article, not know which team a player is contracted to?

Time for an update, with some transfers that I missed, but didn't garner much media attention in any case, so others might likewise be ignorant of these transfers/ rumours

First, the big one that I'm sure most SA rugby fans know about, WP 'supposedly' making an offer, to the tune of R2,5-3 million according to most sources, to sign Cheetahs flanker Heinrich (I've got a headache, excuse the spelling) Brussouw, with some direct quotes from the Cheetahs backline coach...
The inevitable however, Brussouw's agent has dismissed the reports, saying there has been no offer from WP. Time will tell whether this legal stealer remains with the Cheetahs or moves elsewhere.

Second one, Jonothan Mokeuna (sp.) has moved back to the Griquas, resuming the captaincy he had in 2009 before he left for the Lions, where he failed to make the grade. Some might say that that means he is useless, but when he was on the field for the Griquas (he had at least 5 yellow cards in 2009) he was the stand out player for me. A good flank/eigthman, somewhat tempermental, always played his guts out. I'm not sure, but as far as I know, this is just a loan deal to the end of the season.

Staying with the Griquas, they have managed to secure the services of Ezequiels former flame, Monty Dumond (yugh!), as well as former Sharks Academy and former Blitzbokke player Shannon Rick, who plays scrummy, and last but not least, they have signed former Sevens star Fabian Juries.

What else? Gerhard Mostert has been released early by the Sharks to take up a contract with a French club... my memory is failing me

Last edited:
As noted elsewhere, the Bulls have signed WP young backs JJ Englebrecht and Johan Sadie.

As a Shark, I smell blood... and it smells Capetonian

So CJ van de Linde has gone to the Lions, having already been released by WP.

The Cheetahs have confirmed that both Ehbersohn brothers have signed new, 2 year contracts with da Cheetahs

Bulls have signed Jacques Potgeiter from the Kingsa

Last edited:

Latest posts