• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Gregan Discussion

No.

One tackle does not make him a legend (that was 0’d out when Christian Cullen ran past his short arse on many an occasion).
If you’re too young to remember that then bad luck, grow up.

Other reasons are â€" lack of sportsmanship, he’s short, he makes coffee and he’s never tried at any time in his life and that’s why he’s not good.
OK, bit over the top but he still makes coffee.

No. I do not think that Grogan should be inducted.

Originally posted by Ripper+Aug 1 2006, 02:31 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH@Aug 1 2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Aug 1 2006, 04:21 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH
@Jul 31 2006, 09:05 PM
The real story...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>Gregan to consider missing European tour

Australian rugby union coach John Connolly says captain George Gregan may sit out the Wallabies' tour of Europe in November so as to freshen up for next year's World Cup.

Gregan has started all but one of the Wallabies' Tests so far this year, despite speculation at the beginning of the season his place in the starting line-up was under threat.

The only Test he has missed was against England in Melbourne in June, when Sam Cordingley started in the number nine jersey as part of Connolly's rotational policy prior to the Tri-Nations.

Gregan made the suggestion of missing the European tour to Connolly, as a way of giving the 33-year-old an opportunity to rest ahead of the 2007 World Cup to be hosted by France.

Connolly said the decision would be left to Gregan.

"He has spoken to me about whether he didn't tour at the end of the year to freshen himself up for the World Cup next year," he said.

"We've had one discussion and somehow it's got out, but it'll be George's call."

Gregan has previously missed a Wallabies tour of Europe when injury forced him out of the 2000 edition.

Nice try though

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=40...line+for+Gregan?

What exactly does "nice try" mean, eh?
Nice try by the media to put a spin on the truth. [/b][/quote]
Teh_Mite pwnt joo!! [/b][/quote]
WTF?

Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 1 2006, 04:12 PM
You implied Teh_Mite had made it up... than he posted the original article.
Get f@#ked nipper , just type gregan into yahoo news and you will see 99% of the news storys are similar to vegimites, how do you think i found mine?

The fact is that the story they are showing on the net is completely different to the news that has been on every tv station in OZ for the last 2 days.

Originally posted by Dumbo@Aug 1 2006, 06:56 PM
No.

One tackle does not make him a legend (that was 0’d out when Christian Cullen ran past his short arse on many an occasion).
Not just ONE tackle though... he's rated as pretty much the best pound for pound defender in world rugby! He'll take anyone on and his technique is second to none.

SaintsFan_Webby,

You raised some good points and I like your example about Gregan not having played for the Lions or winning the six nations. There were totally valid and I think your point, even though it was obvious, was missed by some posters.

Gareth Edwards did not play in a world cup - well there was no such thing as a world cup back then so that can not be used against him.

He did not play in the professional era - well that works for him - he had to have a job and play rugby.

He did not have as many caps - well the players of today play a lot more games and lets face it George Gregan has hardly had any decent competition while he has been playing. The other Australian halfbacks during his career have been pretty poor.

Comparing GE and GG is impossible. It is pointless to even try.

Originally posted by sanzar+Aug 1 2006, 11:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Dumbo
@Aug 1 2006, 06:56 PM
No.

Not just ONE tackle though... he's rated as pretty much the best pound for pound defender in world rugby! He'll take anyone on and his technique is second to none. [/b]
Nick Far Jones, and that's all I have to say about that.

Again, a great scrum half, and one of the best of the amateur era, but nowadays it is near impossible to compare Gregan with any great halfbacks before professionalism arrived. Gregan would have to be the best of the professional era, by a long way. What makes him great though is he survived through the cross-over and all this World Rugby Corp .v. the IRB rubbish. He should be in the hall.

Just a suggestion - why don't we have an 'amateur' and 'professional' hall of fames??

I'd say no Gregan shouldn't be inducted in the hall of fame, the main reason being that I can name 4 players that played in his era that are better scrum halves than Gregan: Rob Howley, Joost Van der Westhuizen, Justin Marshall and Agustin Pichot

Fair enough..... but did they actually contribute much to the game?? Sure Justin was a great player and he certainly did, but nowhere near as much as George.

Also I beg to differ on your comment about Howley, Joost and Pichot. All great scrumhalves, but George was and is far better.

I say yes. gregan is one of the best halfbacks to proabbly ever play the game.

howley better than gregan what a joke. pichot is good but I think overall gregan still comes out on top with the better all round game over a number of years. joost was good too in the early years of gregan's career but imo gregan got the better of him. marshall was the only true great rival gregan had out of those 4. similar players and neither gave anything away.

the irony is funny though. I believe it was in the michael jones that someone said they hadn't seen michael jones play and therefore would not vote or something and now in this thread people are saying how great edwards was and they proabbly didn't see him play either.

I love this forum.

like it or not gregan has achieved a lot of things in his career that are recorded as fact. he deserves to be put into the hof because of these. I don't see the point in waiting his career is basically over anyway. he won't go too many years beyond the world cup and I think most people would agree he is in the twlight of his great career.

if we had to wait until they retired nobody would be in the hof

Originally posted by rubberleg@Aug 7 2006, 06:05 AM
I'd say no Gregan shouldn't be inducted in the hall of fame, the main reason being that I can name 4 players that played in his era that are better scrum halves than Gregan: Rob Howley, Joost Van der Westhuizen, Justin Marshall and Agustin Pichot
NO

to be honest howley, pichot, and joost were good scrum halves.. but not better than Gregan. As esoj said above the only one that compared was Marshall..theres no doubt that gregan was better

who has the most caps out of all of them :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DC13+Aug 7 2006, 01:12 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-rubberleg
@Aug 7 2006, 06:05 AM
NO

to be honest howley, pichot, and joost were good scrum halves.. but not better than Gregan. As esoj said above the only one that compared was Marshall..theres no doubt that gregan was better

who has the most caps out of all of them :rolleyes: [/b]
Great Logic There.

Ben Cohen must be better than CauCau than.

Certainly not, but George has truly stood the test of time. For him to play so many games for a nation such as Australia, that's saying something. But along with that, he is without doubt the greatest halfback of the modern era and thus deserves to be in the hall not only for his 125 caps, but also his playing acheivments, remember he is also only one point away from 100, and as he's not a kicker that is also something special for a test scrum-half.

Originally posted by Ripper+Aug 7 2006, 05:02 AM-->
Originally posted by DC13@Aug 7 2006, 01:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rubberleg

NO

Great Logic There.

Ben Cohen must be better than CauCau than. [/b]
Cohen>Howlett

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Aug 7 2006, 06:05 PM-->
Originally posted by Ripper@Aug 7 2006, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by DC13@Aug 7 2006, 01:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rubberleg

NO

Great Logic There.

Ben Cohen must be better than CauCau than.
Cohen>Howlett [/b]
:lol2tn: Seriously, this is the kind of comment that makes me wonder how this guy didn't win the 'comedy genius award'! :roflrol:

gareth edwards not being a good player because the players back then were slow?!?! thats the stupidest reasoning ever!! with the professional era comes $ !!! and with that, more money can be pumped into research to find how players can excel. all things being equal, if GE were to play in the modern game, there would be no doubt that he would excel and rank above all others.

players must continually strive to improve themselves if they are to earn the $'s, lest they be dropped.

colin meads might have made a fine back rower nowadays, simply because the standard back then was low, and it was harder to consume the ntrition that is available today. while the likes of neemia tialata are extremely muscular for a front row, jason leonard or fran cotton could have been raw power hidden under flabs.

simply put, players today are bigger, stronger etc is because of $$ and professionalism

But Gregan is by far the greatest halfback of the MODERN era and thus deserves a place in the Hall.

indeed what if's etc don't really matter as gregan has proven that he is world class in his era. end of story.

Latest posts