• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George North

Aside from the time George North carried Israel Folau I can't remember him being a player I went "Watch out for this man" like Shane Williams was a "WATCH OUT FOR THE LITTLE BABY MAN HE QUICK" but George North is just a big Benedict Cumberbatch looking guy for me who presents no real threat.

What I do notice is the lack of Welsh enthusiasm behind Pivac . Whether it's because he's ex Scarlets, and the Ospreys,Blues and Dragons fans can't bring themselves to support a new beggining under his tenure ship.

I have to be honest, I was fairly enthused when the initial murmurings of the Pivac appointment started to emerge (I mean those two seasons 2016-2017 & 2017-2018 were a breath of fresh air for the Welsh regional game) but (& I'm 'probably' being a bit reactive for this) not only was last season absolutely dire (they did have a lot of injuries to contend with but still) but I wasn't overly enamoured by the way in which he handled a few delicate situations either.

He definitely messed up the Shaun Edwards situation as far as I'm concerned and I also seem to remember when he was first appointed that he and his team would be in Japan in an observational capacity. Thus he would see how team Wales operate in the highest of pressure environments. Then the World Cup happens and he and his team (until Wellies has to be flown out as a bet ;)) they're not invited. I think (with no factual evidence to go by mind you) that noses have been put out've joint between Gats gang and Pivac's posse... sometimes that's the way with egos at the sharp end I guess but I can't help but feel Pivac missed a trick by not being around the group this last few months.

Still, if he can capture the kind of magic with Wales that he had with the Scarlets for a while, I'll be right back on the bandwagon.

I have to be honest, I was fairly enthused when the initial murmurings of the Pivac appointment started to emerge (I mean those two seasons 2016-2017 & 2017-2018 were a breath of fresh air for the Welsh regional game) but (& I'm 'probably' being a bit reactive for this) not only was last season absolutely dire (they did have a lot of injuries to contend with but still) but I wasn't overly enamoured by the way in which he handled a few delicate situations either.

He definitely messed up the Shaun Edwards situation as far as I'm concerned and I also seem to remember when he was first appointed that he and his team would be in Japan in an observational capacity. Thus he would see how team Wales operate in the highest of pressure environments. Then the World Cup happens and he and his team (until Wellies has to be flown out as a bet ;)) they're not invited. I think (with no factual evidence to go by mind you) that noses have been put out've joint between Gats gang and Pivac's posse... sometimes that's the way with egos at the sharp end I guess but I can't help but feel Pivac missed a trick by not being around the group this last few months.

Still, if he can capture the kind of magic with Wales that he had with the Scarlets for a while, I'll be right back on the bandwagon.

Pretty much nailed it. As you say...if he can get us playing to the level Scarlets were at when they won the Pro 14 it's an exciting prospect. However at the same time they didn't half play some risky rugby! They did go off the boil last season. Perhaps Wayne and co had half an eye on what was to come with Wales.

I remember thinking Pivac's appointment was a wee bit premature. He never got Scarlets to a point where they were genuine contenders against the European elite, their best win was probably against Leinster in the RDS semi amd that was a raw Leinster team that were still taking to Lancaster and choked away two semi finals early doors. A year later when Leinster broke through the barrier to become a European force Scarlets were absolutely no match for us.

I think Connacht is the only province where his results would be regarded as so good that he should be put next in line as Ireland coach (Pat Lam would have been preferable to Farrell imo) even though Leinster, Munster and Ulster were in pretty dire places when he started in Wales. There's an obvious disparity in resources and I guess you could argue that he's got a trophy unlike Munster and Ulster but missing out on Europe is not something any coach with international aspirations should do in the pro 14 in their 5th year.

I think chances are that one of Ireland or Wales have gotten their appointments right, and given the track records of league guys as head coaches and Ireland's last English head coach being a disaster I think it's a genuine 50/50, but neither will be down to much more than luck if it happens.

I only realised that this is a George North thread before posting, but **** it, you lads strayed off topic first and this took time. My opinion on North? Injuries ****** him unfortunately, had potential to be the best win the NH has ever produced but his style was always going to put him at risk. I'd probably have him just below the Shane Williams, Jason Robinson and Denis Hickie* tier with Tommy Bowe in the pro era.

*The most, and possibly only, Irish player underrated by the Irish ever. Retired at 30 and had some Ill times injuries but he was as good as these two when going.

Aside from the time George North carried Israel Folau I can't remember him being a player I went "Watch out for this man" like Shane Williams was a "WATCH OUT FOR THE LITTLE BABY MAN HE QUICK" but George North is just a big Benedict Cumberbatch looking guy for me who presents no real threat.
Same like Cheslin Koble. Those smaller nimble guys with blistering fast speed are so dangerous.

North in that 2012 6 nations game vs Ireland was the peak of his powers really. Knocking over people left, right and centre, it's a real shame looking back on his highlight reel.
I can't seem to find it but North also scored a try where there was 3 defenders hanging off him.

North in that 2012 6 nations game vs Ireland was the peak of his powers really. Knocking over people left, right and centre, it's a real shame looking back on his highlight reel.
I can't seem to find it but North also scored a try where there was 3 defenders hanging off him.

I remember that fondly and when is the last time he has done anything remotely close to that in a Welsh Shirt recently..

To be honest Edwards was part of the Gatland Furniture range and as great defense coach he has been for Wales (best ever) I think his style of defensive tactics doesnt marry well with how Pivac will want Wales to play the game so as much as he is a massive loss if we are to move on and make changes (for better or worse) then a change was coming. I think Edwards style In Wales only works alongside a Gatland type approach just looked what happened to the defence in the NZ game when we decided to open up.

It remains to be seen but I am certainly excited by the prospect of a New Era. Gatland took us to a level we probably never thought achievable but it did come at a cost of engraved Welsh rugby and as much as I have enjoyed us winning ( a lot) I am also hopeful that Pivac can bring about a more exciting brand without conceding too many in the effort. I for one am expecting a more losses under Pivac when compared to Gatland but I also think the backbone of a good team is there as a result of Gatlands reign and I think (hope) it will keep us competitive for the change period.

To be honest Edwards was part of the Gatland Furniture range and as great defense coach he has been for Wales (best ever) I think his style of defensive tactics doesnt marry well with how Pivac will want Wales to play the game so as much as he is a massive loss if we are to move on and make changes (for better or worse) then a change was coming. I think Edwards style In Wales only works alongside a Gatland type approach just looked what happened to the defence in the NZ game when we decided to open up.

It remains to be seen but I am certainly excited by the prospect of a New Era. Gatland took us to a level we probably never thought achievable but it did come at a cost of engraved Welsh rugby and as much as I have enjoyed us winning ( a lot) I am also hopeful that Pivac can bring about a more exciting brand without conceding too many in the effort. I for one am expecting a more losses under Pivac when compared to Gatland but I also think the backbone of a good team is there as a result of Gatlands reign and I think (hope) it will keep us competitive for the change period.
Yeah you may well be right about Edwards style not being able to mesh effectively with the way Pivac wants Wales to play. The thing I'm most worried about is Hayward though. The Scarlets defence has looked fairly flimsy at times (particularly last season).

Latest posts