• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gerrard Blew It!

I don not think gerrard are good not good at all. Habana will run him in his bed. ;)

Gerrard are not the best. What happend to Rathbone that you stole from SA :lol2tn:

Aussie wingers are pretty bad

Mitchell is shakey as best, Ioane can't catch, Gerrard and Tuqiri are too slow and can't play....Turner I haven't seen enough of as I can't stand watching the Waratahs...Shepherd is a fullback but once Latham gets back he should take a wing....Staniforth should be inside centre but if not should be wing, at least he will be on the park....Rathbone, even though not Aussie, is in the same boat as Gerrard, did a few good things a few years ago but are crap now...

In conclusion to my slightly off topic rant, Gerrard shouldn't even be in the squad, even though the winger stocks are pretty dry at the moment there is plenty better then Gerrard...

If I was coach I'd start McMeniman at 6 and Elsom at 8. That would give us 4 jumpers to target the NZ lineout and Elsom and McMeniman are solid in Defence and both strong ball runners with a bit of mongrel. Then I'd bring Hoiles on after 50. I'd also bring on Staniforth and move Giteau to 9. Giteau and Hoiles operating on the fringe of the ruck with tiring defence I can definately see working.
[/b]

You're basically just copying and pasting from yesterday Australian's article.

The problem is that there is ALREADY four jumpers in the team with Vickerman, Sharpe, Elsom AND Hoiles.

Once again, Connolly's theory that bigger = better is not the solution and already failed the Wallabies last year.

The simple fact is that Australia needs both Smith and Hoiles if they are to combat the All Blacks at the breakdown.

Connolly was once a great coach but I don't think he's much of an improvement from Eddie Jones.

The team he selected for the first test against Wales was an absolute disgrace.

An all-Waratahs backrow? Surely he wasn't the only person in Australia to see how slow they were?

Sam Norton-Knight at flyhalf? He's not even worthy of Australia A!

Connolly obviously has his favourites and it blinds him from selecting the BEST players.

His idea to make Phil Waugh a 'co-captain' has been one of the worst decisions I've seen in some time.

Also, the continued selection of Al Baxter is not far behind considering that there are a number of better props in the country.

very true mate.. he does seem to have favourites and really stick to them.. and the prblem is that a lot of his favourites suck serious balls.. Hoiles should be starting against the ABs for sure.. we need two men on the ball for the rucks against the Kiwis or we will not slow the ball down enough.. Rocky tries his darndest, but he just gives away too many penatlies when he plays the ball at rucktime - he should realise he's in there for big hits and ****le and keep to that..

Every time Al Baxter gets on the field i crap myself...

Did you know that Al Baxter only has a few Test Caps to go before he becomes Australia's most capped prop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's currently on 46 Caps now...

Did you know that Al Baxter only has a few Test Caps to go before he becomes Australia's most capped prop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's currently on 46 Caps now...

[/b]
That's quite depressing really.

Disagree. I think Knuckles is an awesome coach. He's been successful every were he's gone. QLD were a powerhouse when he was there for 15 years now there a laughing stock. Then he went to France and won a comp with Stad Francais. Then he took Bath from Mid table to a minor premiershi in the England comp in one year. He's taken the Wallabies from losing 8 out of 9 games under Steady Eddy to winning at around 70%.

I rate Hoiles big time. Just because he doesn't start (which he may) doesn't mean he's not a better player then the starter. Remember Origin a few years back. Craig Wing was the most dagerous player on either team and he came off the bench.

If I was coach I'd start McMeniman at 6 and Elsom at 8. That would give us 4 jumpers to target the NZ lineout and Elsom and McMeniman are solid in Defence and both strong ball runners with a bit of mongrel. Then I'd bring Hoiles on after 50. I'd also bring on Staniforth and move Giteau to 9. Giteau and Hoiles operating on the fringe of the ruck with tiring defence I can definately see working.

Agree about Mitchell. He's pretty average. He's still very young though so he may develop. Although I can see our wing combo binging Turner and Tuqiri (maybe Ioane and Tahu) for the next 4 years after this WC.

[/b]
is this the same knuckle head that lead aus to a glorious draw against the welsh (not ranked in the top six of the world and currently struggling) the same coach that nearly lead aus to historic losses to wales and south africa b? and when the hell were the queensland reds good ? and teams self destructing every where he leaves says more about the state hes left those places in rather than his coaching. giteau at nine is the worst experiment i might have ever seen ? its like putting major at halfback hes good on his feet and a good centre so he'll be better than bryron keheller it just doesn't make sense.

Well, its the same guy who got a victory over the All Blacks even with a piece of crap scrum.

Weren't the Reds top of the table in the S12, in 99? Or something like that.

I can see why he wants Giteau to play at 9. It enables him to have a 5/2 bench. He knows that they have a **** scrum, and the best way to beat the All Blacks is at the breakdown. Best way is to have 2 fresh loosies come off the bench.

Well, its the same guy who got a victory over the All Blacks even with a piece of crap scrum.

Weren't the Reds top of the table in the S12, in 99? Or something like that.

I can see why he wants Giteau to play at 9. It enables him to have a 5/2 bench. He knows that they have a **** scrum, and the best way to beat the All Blacks is at the breakdown. Best way is to have 2 fresh loosies come off the bench.

[/b]
eddie jones beat the allblacks more than once in three years. top of the table and then they lost the semi and went way down hill with knuckles still coach for at least the next two years as far as i know. playing giteau at nine is a waste of his talent hes a far better second five than half and the wallabies have won without a 5/2 bench this is just an excuse to dump gregan who is still the best half in aus. scott fava should be recalled at 8 or is not in aus anymore?

Under Eddie Jones they were going through a pretty long losing streak..

Maybe if Knuckles had a shot at coaching the Wallabies for 3 years, he might be able to beat the All Blacks more than once too.

The Wallabies have been under the radar for far too long. I'm sure you'd be surprised if you saw what their IRB ranking is now.

scott fava should be recalled at 8 or is not in aus anymore?
[/b]
Still very much a Force player, but me thinks there may be somewhat of a dislike of us from some Eastern coast sections, example. Staniforth getting as little time as they can possibly give him despite his usual great play....

Or maybe I'm just paranoid and our Force players simply can't stand up to the rigours of Test rugby that many Waratahs and Reds clearly can :)

Unfortunately for Staniforth Australia already have two world class centres in Giteau and Mortlock.

Staniforth is great but it's hard to make more time for him when you have those guys in the team. Plus Ashley-Cooper is the number on backup for outside centre.

I think the selectors mostly see him as an inside centre which is fair enough. Australia already has other guys more qualified for the wing.

eddie jones beat the allblacks more than once in three years. top of the table and then they lost the semi and went way down hill with knuckles still coach for at least the next two years as far as i know. playing giteau at nine is a waste of his talent hes a far better second five than half and the wallabies have won without a 5/2 bench this is just an excuse to dump gregan who is still the best half in aus. scott fava should be recalled at 8 or is not in aus anymore? [/b]

yeah but spider, you have to remember when Eddie Jones' success as Wallaby coach came... straight after the McQueen era, with Eales still captain. After Eales retired there was not much success in the team and the foundations began to crumble, and a lot of it had to do with Jones's **** coaching and selection process.

Eddie Jones was just lucky to catch the coat-tails of a fantastic coach in McQueen at both the Brumbies and Wallabies. He inherited dynasties that could not fail with the players and the methods coached so well into them. But once he started messing with the structures and his influence began to show thru, the dynasties began to crack, moreso at Wallaby level.

Knuckles is also crap, but more for the reason that he is no good for the future. He plays too much politics, and creates an environment of distrust around the place that is no good for team building for the future. I will be happy when he is gone so that we can concentrate on some of the good younger players that are coming thru this year, and get them together as a unit for the future.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Still very much a Force player, but me thinks there may be somewhat of a dislike of us from some Eastern coast sections, example. Staniforth getting as little time as they can possibly give him despite his usual great play....

Or maybe I'm just paranoid and our Force players simply can't stand up to the rigours of Test rugby that many Waratahs and Reds clearly can :) [/b][/quote]

Methinks more the reason why Fava is not there is that he is out of favour with selectors because of his off-filed stuff that happened. also that stopped him being able to make an impact in the Super 14 this year.. disrupted his momentum.

Unfortunately for Staniforth Australia already have two world class centres in Giteau and Mortlock.

Staniforth is great but it's hard to make more time for him when you have those guys in the team. Plus Ashley-Cooper is the number on backup for outside centre.

I think the selectors mostly see him as an inside centre which is fair enough. Australia already has other guys more qualified for the wing. [/b]

I still think that Staniforth will be a good option as a backup for the wing, and thats why selectors can afford to pick less wingers for the squad. and hence why i think Gerrard will miss out. and should...

<div class='quotemain'> eddie jones beat the allblacks more than once in three years. top of the table and then they lost the semi and went way down hill with knuckles still coach for at least the next two years as far as i know. playing giteau at nine is a waste of his talent hes a far better second five than half and the wallabies have won without a 5/2 bench this is just an excuse to dump gregan who is still the best half in aus. scott fava should be recalled at 8 or is not in aus anymore? [/b]

yeah but spider, you have to remember when Eddie Jones' success as Wallaby coach came... straight after the McQueen era, with Eales still captain. After Eales retired there was not much success in the team and the foundations began to crumble, and a lot of it had to do with Jones's **** coaching and selection process.

Eddie Jones was just lucky to catch the coat-tails of a fantastic coach in McQueen at both the Brumbies and Wallabies. He inherited dynasties that could not fail with the players and the methods coached so well into them. But once he started messing with the structures and his influence began to show thru, the dynasties began to crack, moreso at Wallaby level.

Knuckles is also crap, but more for the reason that he is no good for the future. He plays too much politics, and creates an environment of distrust around the place that is no good for team building for the future. I will be happy when he is gone so that we can concentrate on some of the good younger players that are coming thru this year, and get them together as a unit for the future.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Or maybe I'm just paranoid and our Force players simply can't stand up to the rigours of Test rugby that many Waratahs and Reds clearly can :) [/b][/quote]

Methinks more the reason why Fava is not there is that he is out of favour with selectors because of his off-filed stuff that happened. also that stopped him being able to make an impact in the Super 14 this year.. disrupted his momentum.

I think the selectors mostly see him as an inside centre which is fair enough. Australia already has other guys more qualified for the wing. [/b]

I still think that Staniforth will be a good option as a backup for the wing, and thats why selectors can afford to pick less wingers for the squad. and hence why i think Gerrard will miss out. and should...

[/b][/quote] i'm sorry i must have imagined the 2003 semi final four years after macqueen with no more eales though for the life of me i can't get this quote out of my head "four more years, you'll have to wait four more years" must be from something else :D more to the point is the lack of change in his teams young talent didn't get brought through(partly eddies fault) into the team. so often he had to get creative with what he had playing two opensides this worked initially and he mastermind the shut down of the abs play exposing their lack of patience and a plan b(2003 semi). this still seems to be a problem for us. going scoreless for more than a half is unacceptable(MCG 2007). i liked to see knuckles abandon the whole giteau at half like i said creativity can be required but this seems unesscessary.

Agree there on the Git. front, wasted at 9.
For mine he's one of the top 12's in the world at the moment.

thanx for the info fava i was just thinking rocky elsom couldn't be high up the food chain of 8s but theres not a lot of options.

i'm sorry i must have imagined the 2003 semi final four years after macqueen with no more eales though for the life of me i can't get this quote out of my head "four more years, you'll have to wait four more years" must be from something else :D more to the point is the lack of change in his teams young talent didn't get brought through(partly eddies fault) into the team. so often he had to get creative with what he had playing two opensides this worked initially and he mastermind the shut down of the abs play exposing their lack of patience and a plan b(2003 semi). this still seems to be a problem for us. going scoreless for more than a half is unacceptable(MCG 2007). i liked to see knuckles abandon the whole giteau at half like i said creativity can be required but this seems unesscessary. [/b]

Well as for the Semi 2003, one good plan in 4 years of the top job did not in my mind justify Eddie Jones as a good coach..

He picked teams by stats.. Turnover ball, metres gained, etc. He bred an individual first environment in the Wallaby squad, and i thought the wallabies really showed it. He allowed Gregan to play on like he was never gonna get dropped, even when his form was poor. I thought it looked like a lot of the players were trying to play to keep their place in the team rather than play to win. He never looked like having a long term plan for any sort of development.

maybe it seems obvious.. but i HATE eddie jones!! haha...

What happend to Rathbone that you stole from SA :lol2tn:
[/b]

He would be injured at the moment... He has beeen ruled out of the World cup, with a recurring knee problem which he has had since mid-2005.

<div class='quotemain'> i'm sorry i must have imagined the 2003 semi final four years after macqueen with no more eales though for the life of me i can't get this quote out of my head "four more years, you'll have to wait four more years" must be from something else :D more to the point is the lack of change in his teams young talent didn't get brought through(partly eddies fault) into the team. so often he had to get creative with what he had playing two opensides this worked initially and he mastermind the shut down of the abs play exposing their lack of patience and a plan b(2003 semi). this still seems to be a problem for us. going scoreless for more than a half is unacceptable(MCG 2007). i liked to see knuckles abandon the whole giteau at half like i said creativity can be required but this seems unesscessary. [/b]

Well as for the Semi 2003, one good plan in 4 years of the top job did not in my mind justify Eddie Jones as a good coach..

He picked teams by stats.. Turnover ball, metres gained, etc. He bred an individual first environment in the Wallaby squad, and i thought the wallabies really showed it. He allowed Gregan to play on like he was never gonna get dropped, even when his form was poor. I thought it looked like a lot of the players were trying to play to keep their place in the team rather than play to win. He never looked like having a long term plan for any sort of development.

maybe it seems obvious.. but i HATE eddie jones!! haha... [/b][/quote] yeah i gathered. obviously i can't list every time they beat us (i do try and black these things out but some are hard to forget) its just an example i understand the frustation with not dropping players i'm amazed everytime they recall thorne but as connellys reign shows there isn't any great replacement for gregan (if he could knuckles wouldn't have him in his squad) and macqueen didn't drop gregan often if ever. i imagine you don't like gregan either but he does have a presence on the field few can match. as for some of the other stuff i don't think theirs any evidence for it how can you tell if players are only playing for themselves? the development thing i agree with but there hasn't been the kind of depth to be able to do much. if the players aren't good enough you can't select them. or did you have a player development strategy in mind? couldn't be worse than knuckles converting a good 12 into an average 9. i'm not sure i ever said eddie was a good coach my arguement was hes ten times better than knuckles.