• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gerrard Blew It!

Actually i am a big Gregan supporter, but even i had to admit that around the 04-05 mark he wasnt playing his best footy, and in my opinion whittaker was the best half in Australia around that time. when McQueen was in charge, Gregan was on top of the game as prob the best half in the world. But Eddie couldnt get his mind off him.

Having said that, i totaly agree that even is gregan is playing crap, his presence on the field makes a massive difference to the game for australia, and it makes a difference to how we are reffed esp at scrums and the breakdown, when georgie is right in the refs ear.

Knuckles is a pretty **** coach, he is no good at playing the expansive game.. My only real experience with his coaching was the Reds back in the day, but they played 10 man rugby back then.. first with Lynagh and then with Spooner.. And thats his style, but he recognises he cant coach liek that, but he aint any good at coaching any other way. But i definately reckon that Eddie Jones was a way bigger muppet than Knuckles ever could be, but i am biased cuz i have all this built up hatred at Jones leading us from a full trophy cupboard to an empty one! hehe...

Dont like Gerrard, overated.

I think Mitchell has played well this year so far and should be given the callup ahead of Gerrard in the world cup.

Wella fter watching the game on Saturday i actually have backflipped and i think that maybe Gerrard has got it in him to be a good backup for the wing/fullback spot in the Cup... He finally put his boot in for a few good kicks, and he muscled up defensively, ran with the ball, and looked better than he has at test level. Mitchell had a solid game too, came off a bit early tho..

Maybe the game on saturday was too wet to judge winger's abilities, but Gerrard seemed to show that he knows he has to play well, and really concentrated on getting his core game (kicking and running) right... good for him!

Gerrad would be my choice to play in RWC, he showed on Saturday that he can actually play well if he needs to. Of course I just don't like Drew Mitchell because he left the Reds when they needed him

Dont like Gerrard, overated.

I think Mitchell has played well this year so far and should be given the callup ahead of Gerrard in the world cup.
[/b]

yeah mitchell has it all over gerrard....and over ashley-cooper who the coaches seem to like, but is yet to do anything of note (bar his try v nz at the mcg). also, he makes a lot of mistakes cf eden park!

Ashley-Cooper had a shocker (at fulback) against the AB's last week. No doubt about it.

However, it is laughable to say that Mitchell is a better player.

Ashley-Cooper has been in hot form all year and has played excellently in every other test, and was one of the best downright Australian players in the Super 14.

Drew Mitchell should consider himself lucky to be going to France. He's done NOTHING for the Wallabies this year and was below average at best for the Force at fullback.

I don't know where all the Drew Mitchell love comes from? He hasn't done anything impressive for a couple of years now.

Also, Gerrard has proven to be a far better option than Mitchell in his past couple of tests.

Personally, I would've dumped Mitchell from the squad and taken Lachlan Turner.

What's happened to Rathbone? Always rated him quite highly, but haven't heard much about him in the last year or so. Don't get to watch much super 14 so presume he must be off form/injured.

What's happened to Rathbone? Always rated him quite highly, but haven't heard much about him in the last year or so. Don't get to watch much super 14 so presume he must be off form/injured.
[/b]
Injured, he has been rubbish since his first season however, but I suppose if Gerrard is in the team Rathbone certainly should be....coz Rathbone is slightly less rubbish then Gerrard...I would even go as far as to say I am not entirely ****** off when Rathbone is playing :)

You don't honestly think we find the 'convict' tag insulting do you, as you do the 'pom' tag. If so, you've a lot to learn about Australians.

"However, it is laughable to say that Mitchell is a better player.

Drew Mitchell should consider himself lucky to be going to France. He's done NOTHING for the Wallabies this year and was below average at best for the Force at fullback."

"Personally, I would've dumped Mitchell from the squad and taken Lachlan Turner."
[/quote]

Agreed. Mitchell is a joke. And a hopeless joke at that. AAC is deceptively fast, cna beat a man one on one, or just crash through. He'll be a much better player for this experience.

Gerrard reminds me of a younger Latham. Great at S12 but couldn't transalte that form at test level. Ltham is now regarded as one of the best fullbacks in the world. I think Gerrard will continue to mature into a great player. He has the skills, I think it's a mental thing.

Couldn't agree more on LAchlan Turner. He'ss young, raw, fast and unpredictable. Just the kind of bloke you want wandering around in midfield. You just never know what he's ging to do.

Cheers,
Rusty

I think Gerrard looks better than Mitchell, I would give the spot to him personally. He's not a bad player at all.