Gloucester v Dragons

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Gloucester.png
V
Dragons.png
</div>

Gloucester welcome the Dragons to Kingsholm for the Heineken Cup opener. The Cherry and Whites will be hoping for an improvement in their domestic form for these opening 2 games with a sterner test to come in Biarritz next Saturday.

Gareth Delve's success in his appeal means he's available for this one having originally been due to be banned until October 12. However, Olivier Azam has been banned for 12 weeks after being found guilty of kicking Steve Borthwick in the head and Adam Eustace has been found guilty of stamping on Justin Marshall and been banned for 3 weeks (guess the IRFU weren't so lenient afterall!)

The Dragons are still without skipper Tom Willis but they've brought in Peter Bracken from Glawegians as cover in the front row as Ben Castle and Gethin Robinson both miss out. Matthew Watkins is out for three weeks with a groin strain as are Pat Leach and Adam Hughes also. Robert Sidoli, Adam Jones, Alex Walker and Grant Webb are all injured.

Gloucester: tbc

Dragons (from): Ali McKenzie, Dan Lydiate, Duane Goodfield, Gavin Thomas, Hoani MacDonald, Hugh Gustafson, James Harris, Joe Bearman, Lewis Evans, Luke Charteris (capt), Nigel Hall, Peter Bracken, Steve Jones; Aled Brew, Ashley Smith, Danny Lee, James Arlidge, Jason Tovey, Martyn Thomas, Rhodri Gomer Davies, Richard Fussell, Shaun Connor, Tom Riley, Wayne Evans, Will Harries.

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)

Tovey's back! All hail the returning king of youth!

Anyway: This is going to go one of two ways. Either the Dragons put together a invincible team and hammer them, or the Men of Gwent get kicked to death by Nicky.

Here's the teams.

Gloucester: 15. Tom Voyce, 14. Charlie Sharples, 13. James Simpson-Daniel, 12. Tim Molenaar, 11. Lesley Vainikolo, 10. Nicky Robinson, 9. Scott Lawson, 1. Alasdair Dickinson, 3. Greg Somerville, 4. David Attwood, 5. Alex Brown, 6. Alasdair Strokosch, 7. Akapusi Qera, 8. Gareth Delve

16. Darren Dawiduik, 17. Paul Doran-Jones, 18. Pierre Capdevielle, 19. Peter Buxton, 20. Andy Hazell, 21. Dave Lewis, 22. Freddie Burns, 23. Jonny May,

Dragons: 15. Jason Tovey, 14. Aled Brew, 13. Tom Riley, 12. Ashley Smith, 11. Richard Fussell, 10. James Arlidge, 9. Wayne Evans, 1. Alistair McKenzie, 2. Steve Jones, 3. Nigel Hall, 4. Robert Sidoli, 5. Luke Charteris, 6. Dan Lydiate, 7. Gavin Thomas, 8. Joe Bearman

16. Duane Goodfield, 17. Hugh Gustafson, 18. Peter Bracken, 19. Lewis Evans, 20. Hoani MacDonald, 21. Danny Lee, 22. Shaun Connor, 23. Martyn Thomas,

Strong team out by the Dragons. There isn't many there that aren't first choice. The no 8 battle should be very interesting, two Welsh qualified players vuying for a place in the AI squad. I think the key men for the Dragons are Gavin Thomas at 7 and James Alridge at 10. if Thomas can secure Dragons good ball and Alridge makes the right choices, I think they've got a chance tomorrow. They could certainly bag a loosing bonus point which could come in usefull.

Fussel and Tovey are there to provide the flair, (Surely two members of the Back Three for the AIs?) Thomas and Lydiate to provide the ball, and Beerman to provide a start to every attack.

As said above, if Arlidge can make the right decisons, even if though he won't be out-playing Robinson, then I'd say the Dragons could have it. Nicky Robinson is the stand-out player in the Gloucester side right now.

COME ON DRAGONS!!! I'll be supporting all the Magners teams when they're not up against Irish sides this tourny. Best of Luck.

Don't have the red button so not seen this but 14-7 to the Dragons at HT.

Pitty they couldn't get the win here, 7 points up at half time. I didn't see this match as Sky have blocked Virgin from having the red button interactive :(. Can't believe this game wasn't on either sky sports 1 or 2, especially as earlier in the day they were showing a game from the Challenge cup between two french clubs, go figure!

This shows that the Dragon's may be strong contenders in this group. A loosing bonus point away is a decent start. Although I'm sure they were looking for more at half time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pitty they couldn't get the win here, 7 points up at half time. I didn't see this match as Sky have blocked Virgin from having the red button interactive :(. Can't believe this game wasn't on either sky sports 1 or 2, especially as earlier in the day they were showing a game from the Challenge cup between two french clubs, go figure![/b]

that's their carat to get people to sign up with Sky over Virgin or whatever other providers you have in the UK, similar story with Setanta over here putting the big Leinster interprovincial and home matches on Setanta 1 which you have to subscribe to whereas Setanta Ireland is free to air for UPC and Magnet customers. The one disappointing thing this year is the choice of matches on the red button, not tonight but next week the Perpignan Northampton match is on the red button but the Sale Cardiff Blues match is on Sky Sports 2, same with the Munster Treviso match over Biarritz Gloucester.

Yup, it shouldn't be allowed either. From what I understand OFCOM are apparently going to do something about it next year. I'm paying enough money to get sky sports for this month, and I'm sure the majority of that is going straight to sky. If they're not willing to have all the matches on wither sky sports 1, 2, or extra, they should provide the interactive services to the likes of virgin etc.

For alot of people, Virgin is simply the better choice, as their bundle of phone, internet and tv is easily the cheapest available, and with that the majority of those services are better. Theres no comparison with the internet, with sky providing 8meg and virgin up to 50meg. Add on the fact that with Virgin, a BT landline is not necessary, and there really is no comparision imo.

Under the anti-competative laws in place, it's not right that sky withhold these services.

Sorry, end of rant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 9 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pitty they couldn't get the win here, 7 points up at half time. I didn't see this match as Sky have blocked Virgin from having the red button interactive :(. Can't believe this game wasn't on either sky sports 1 or 2, especially as earlier in the day they were showing a game from the Challenge cup between two french clubs, go figure![/b]

that's their carat to get people to sign up with Sky over Virgin or whatever other providers you have in the UK, similar story with Setanta over here putting the big Leinster interprovincial and home matches on Setanta 1 which you have to subscribe to whereas Setanta Ireland is free to air for UPC and Magnet customers. The one disappointing thing this year is the choice of matches on the red button, not tonight but next week the Perpignan Northampton match is on the red button but the Sale Cardiff Blues match is on Sky Sports 2, same with the Munster Treviso match over Biarritz Gloucester.
[/b][/quote]
Tarbh think there some agreement though that sky have to show Munster and Leinster on main channel and not via red button.
Setanta were just doing that to try up their numbers although it won't surprise me if all games are on Setanta 1 soon.

As for game Dragons must be happy with bonus point as they may have even accepted it before kick-off and it may be vital come january

f*** off my friend's cousin (NR)(decent guy though) , oherwise don't see how we deserved to 'lose' (2 tries to 1) excuse my drunkeness, but f*** you pig-f***ers, lucky criminals, "oh , i'm sorry, he didnt mean to hurt me officer" yeah f*** you glory boys, f*** you tractor shaggers, loving the blues outcast, have fun in the GP. Excuse me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Oct 10 2009, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
f*** off my friend's cousin (NR)(decent guy though) , oherwise don't see how we deserved to 'lose' (2 tries to 1) excuse my drunkeness, but f*** you pig-f***ers, lucky criminals, "oh , i'm sorry, he didnt mean to hurt me officer" yeah f*** you glory boys, f*** you tractor shaggers, loving the blues outcast, have fun in the GP. Excuse me.[/b]

:lol: :bravo:
Kick off :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 10 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 9 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 9 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Tarbh think there some agreement though that sky have to show Munster and Leinster on main channel and not via red button.
Setanta were just doing that to try up their numbers although it won't surprise me if all games are on Setanta 1 soon.

[/b][/quote]

Well it's obvious there's some sort of agreement, was one of the conditions of Sky getting the Irish rights over RTÉ, as for Setanta they won't be putting all the games on Setanta 1 as they can be seen on Sky via BBCw and S4C. It just must **** of sky sports subscribers in the UK to have to put up with Munster Treviso, unless they're sky digital.

Dragons probably weren't good enough over all. The first twenty odd minutes were dull as paint, then they started to increase the intensity and it almost looked like Gloucester'd have no chance. They fought back well though. Cardiff may yet rue losing Nicky Robinson.

Latest posts