• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gold Coast Sevens, 25-26 November 2011, Sevens World Series

I agree that Ormond, Popoali'i and Gillies Kaka should have made the squad. I'm pleased to see Charles Piutau get selected though (if for no other reason than he's commited to NZ). Popoali'i is magic, probably the most exciting playmaker in NZ in terms of 7's.

I agree that it's certainly starting to look very stale now. Also, why no Save Tokula? I'd have thought with him missing out on a Super Rugby contract he'd be a shoe in for the 7's team.

I heard Gordon Tietjens on the radio yesterday - he mentioned that he was unable to select players that were part of Super Rugby franchise wider training squads. He mentioned Buxton Popoali'i in particular as being part of the Highlanders wider training squad, but he also said that their were others in the Blues, Chiefs, and Hurricanes wider training squads that he was unable to pick. I assume that is why the likes of Heem, Tokula, Kaka missed out and possibly even Souness, Evans and Ormond.

Despite missing all these players I still think the NZ team will go into the tournament as favourites. However if the ground is hard and dry they may have some problems, as they do have a distinct lack of express pace in the team (though they have won tournaments before without having much pace).

Fiji Team:

Setefano Cakau, Watisoni Votu, Sitiveni Waqa, Senivalati Vunibola, Jimilai Nakaidawa, James Brown, Livai Ikanikoda, Osea Kolinisau, Miti Nacagilevu, Emosi Vucago, Joeli Lutumailagi, Semi Radradra

Matawalu, Pio Tuwai and Aminiasi Nava a non travelling reserves

I'm surprised to see Matawalu and Tuwai not in the team, but hopefully the other players are better, coz Matawalu was one of their best players last season

I haven't seen the official Samoan team but I hear they brought Treviranus, Uale Mai and David Lemi were back, they should have a really strong team this season

Last edited:
Samoan Squad

[TABLE="width: 0"]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Levi Asifa'amatala[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Simaika Mikaele[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Faalemiga Selesele[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Afa Aiono[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Talaga Alofipo[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Uale Mai[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Lolo Lui[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Tom Iosefo[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Alatasi Tupou[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Taulagi Afamasaga[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Robert Lilomaiava[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: l"]Paul Perez[/TD]
[TD="class: l"]12[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Missing both Faosiliva and Treviranus, who have picked up pro contracts.

Looking forward to see how the youngsters go.

Blitzbokke

1. Chris Dry
2. Kyle Brown (captain)
3. Frankie Horne
4. Boom Prinsloo
5. Chase Minnaar
6. Paul Delport
7. Renfred Dazel
8. Mark Richards
9. Steven Hunt
10. Bernado Botha
11. Robert Ebersohn
12. Cecil Afrika

Well I'll be, SA going to be lacking a bit more pace than usual. Most really ball players, Afrika and Richards being the fastest of the lot me thinks.

England:
Greg Barden (C), John Brake, Chris Brightwell, Chris Cracknell, Isoa Damudamu, Dan Norton, Tom Powell, James Rodwell, Nick Royle, Mathew Turner, Rob Vickerman, Marcus Watson.

Will be interesting to see how they get on without Gollings
Hopefully they can play like they did this time last year rather than how they did towards the end of the season...

Yaasss no Gollings to get those ridiculous touch line conversions that meant the difference between Scotland winning and losing.

I forgot the name of that big army lad that plays for England, help?

Yaasss no Gollings to get those ridiculous touch line conversions that meant the difference between Scotland winning and losing.

I forgot the name of that big army lad that plays for England, help?

I assume you mean Damudamu.

I assume you mean Damudamu.

Rings the bell.

Okay, so far Samoa have beaten France 24-14, not the best game but a few good passages from Samoa.

Pumas thrashed PNG

English players just too big for Scotland, we can't compete at the restarts simply because the players are too short. Passes not sticking, slipping off tackles, smaller strides mean we generally can't keep up etc...

Last edited:
Fiji don't look as good on attack without Burotu, their new jerseys look like pyjama's too lol

i thought he was good until the yellow card, seems he's too loose with the yellow cards, scotland were unlucky, but i other than the results they've been getting, they look like a better team to me, the players all look fitter and faster than past scotland teams

some of these fijian players need a sports psychologist or something, sometimes they just get brain explosions and blow certain tries, this happens too much with them, i guess its the pressure they're under, also gotta keep in mind Fiji don't have their actual coach for the tournament because of military ties. The new Fijian play maker looks pretty good though, James Brown and Naikadawa look good too and good to see Nacagilevu looks a bit stronger this season, Fiji have good players but they just blow certain tries too often

The Fijian team depresses me now. They're not in the same vain as former Fiji 7's teams. They just don't seem to be able to create things out of nothing like they used to. The old Fiji played with an arrogance and confidence which allowed them to be amazing, this Fiji just isn't in the same league. What happened to William Ryder? He would turn this team around if he got back to form.

I've never heard of NIUE before, they're going okay vs Kenya though

They usually make the Wellington 7's and the Commonwealth Games. They're pretty good, although they get very little games a year. Niue only has a population of around 1.5 thousand people, so they do very well considering (90% of Niuean's live in New Zealand).

All going wrong for England vs Wales :(

Where the hell is this ref pulling all these knockons from?
English player got tackled, went down, present the ball, he calls a knockon despite him not letting go of the ball once :huh:
and then a Wales player slaps the ball forward, which probably should've been a yellow card, and the ref doesn't call it at all!

Last edited:
Great break from James Brown there. Another graduate of the greatest rugby school on the planet

The result against Wales has ejected all my enthusiasm for the season already :(

WTF is up with Australia's kit!?!

Do they have the same suppliers/ designers as the Highlanders? Both kits look absolutely dire.
Whilst Scotland's is awesome if I do say so myself. B)

Mark Richards has done very well for himself today for SA, whilst the Pumas have started with yet another disappointing start to the series.

They usually make the Wellington 7's and the Commonwealth Games. They're pretty good, although they get very little games a year. Niue only has a population of around 1.5 thousand people, so they do very well considering (90% of Niuean's live in New Zealand).

I seem to remember that Frank Bunce had a connection to Niue. Ancestry perhaps?

So, starting with the bowl finals, we have Argentina vs Tonga and Scotland vs. US of A

In the Cup and plate tiers, well NZ beat Enland, who performed markedly better than yesterday.
Aus currently beating Samoa, whose senior players Lolo Lui and Uale Ma'i are struggling with injuries.

I seem to remember that Frank Bunce had a connection to Niue. Ancestry perhaps?

Yep.

Quite apart from his quality as a player Frank Bunce stands out among All Blacks as being of royal descent. He is the direct descendant of George Rex, one of three sons borne to King George III by Hannah Lightfoot, a Yorkshire draper, before the King's marriage to Queen Charlotte. He is one of several hundred descendants living in New Zealand and Niue Island.

Born in Auckland and educated at Mangere College Bunce, playing for the Manukau club, took a long time to emerge from club rugby. He made solitary appearances for Auckland 'B' in 1984 and Auckland in 1986, but did enough to be selected for the North Island the latter year in what proved to be the last of the regular inter-island fixtures. He remained with Auckland until 1990, though never able to become a first choice selection, but received an All Black trial in 1988.

His career took off when he moved to North Harbour in 1991. Though primarily of Niuean ancestry he was selected for Western Samoa, toured New Zealand and then performed impressively for them at the 1991 World Cup. New All Black coach Laurie Mains included Bunce, now 30 years of age, in his squad for the 1992 NZRFU centennial series and after one match at second five eight he became the regular All Black centre until 1997. He and North Harbour teammate Walter Little formed a formidable midfield combination during that period, arguably the best in the world. Bunce missed just one test during that time, against Japan at the 1995 World Cup. He also appeared for New Zealand at Sevens, at the first Sevens World Cup in 1993.

In all Frank Bunce played 69 matches for New Zealand, 55 of them tests. Inevitably he is compared with another late blooming All Black centre in Joe Stanley with his ability to read a game and make play for his outsides. Perhaps as a result of a background of working on Auckland rubbish carts, one of Bunce's assets was his strength in the tackle, either giving or receiving. A subtle as well as a strong runner he scored 20 test tries.

After an injury affected Super 12 season in 1998 Bunce, now aged 36, was dropped from All Black plans when, after going to France to explore a contract with a French club, he failed to return in time to prove his fitness to the selectors.

Nearly 36 when he played his last test Frank Bunce is the second oldest All Black test player, and the oldest back. He is also the most capped test centre.
http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/profile.asp?ABID=107