• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gregor Townsend

Should Scotland sack Townsend?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, its far to early

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
Well, already he needs sacked because our defence is abysmal at the moment!

A bunch of 5yr old kids could breach it!

How many players were Scotland missing going into today? and then how many did they lose in the game?
And they still pushed Wales close until the 80th minute

You're being way OTT

How many players were Scotland missing going into today? and then how many did they lose in the game?
And they still pushed Wales close until the 80th minute

You're being way OTT

Missing first choice starters not in today's squad would IMO include

15. Hogg
11. Maitland
13. Huw Jones (when on form)
12. Duncan Taylor
6. Barclay
8. Ryan Wilson / Blade Thomson
4/6. Skinner
3. Z Fagerson (depending on Nel fitness)

That's 8 in total and then we have the players who went off injured today - pick two from Kinghorn, Graham, Seymour to start.

Last edited:
Missing first choice starters not in today's squad would IMO include

15. Hogg
11. Maitland
13. Huw Jones (when on form)
12. Duncan Taylor
6. Barclay
8. Ryan Wilson / Blade Thomson
4/6. Skinner
3. Z Fagerson (depending on Nel fitness)

That's 8 in total and then we have the players who went off injured today - pick two from Kinghorn, Graham, Seymour to start.
Huw Jones when on form???? He's automatic starter surely!

Well he was not in form coming into this 6N and players should be picked on current form and not reputation or past form.

I totally agree. Which means that every single player that has played defence this tournament needs dropped because to say they've been abysmal would be an understatement!

Redundant comment to say when on form if it relates to every player.

Trying to be smart are we? I singled out Jones because he usually is on form (and was arguably our best player at the 6N last year) when fit but just hadn't been coming into this 6N for whatever reason. I hope he gets back to last year's form in time for the WC.

Trying to be smart are we? I singled out Jones because he usually is on form (and was arguably our best player at the 6N last year) when fit but just hadn't been coming into this 6N for whatever reason. I hope he gets back to last year's form in time for the WC.

I just think Huw Jones would have to be playing really poorly to be dropped. Has a lot of credit in the bank imo

I just think Huw Jones would have to be playing really poorly to be dropped. Has a lot of credit in the bank imo

Same with Seymour who has been fortunate to keep his place up until his injury. For the WC I would like to see two from Kinghorn, Maitland and Graham starting on the wings although with Ireland first up I can imagine Toonie going with Maitland and Seymour.

On the plus, John Barclay said he will soon be back playing or training :).

I still don't know who will play 8. I would like Barclay at 6, Hamish at 7 but I don't think Ryan Wilson is good enough at this level. Was hoping Blade Thomson could be an upgrade on Strauss & Wilson but he's still injured. We need a proper unit who can carry.

Townsend finished 3rd in his first 6N last year. He's had a horrendous injury situation to contend with this year and so some perspective is badly needed. He took Glasgow from despair to Pro12 Champs and doesn't become a bad coach over night. Hope he can show his best self at the WC when key players are available again.

Townsend finished 3rd in his first 6N last year. He's had a horrendous injury situation to contend with this year and so some perspective is badly needed. He took Glasgow from despair to Pro12 Champs and doesn't become a bad coach over night. Hope he can show his best self at the WC when key players are available again.

We could still miraculously end 4th this year if Ireland hammer France, Italy beat France by more than 7 and we either lose by less than 7 to England or win.

I think a few Scots need to have look at the footage of when Andy Robinson and Scott Johnson were in charge... A fair few have short memories of how unbelievably shite Scotland were. Italy get thumped but the games can be entertaining. Scotland in the past were THE most boring side in world rugby and the games were nearly always tedious grind fests. Scotland now would obliterate Scotland of 10 years ago. The issue is injuries and the fact the rest of the NH has moved on.

Also Townsend has the 2nd best ever win ratio for a Scottish coach.

I think a few Scots need to have look at the footage of when Andy Robinson and Scott Johnson were in charge... A fair few have short memories of how unbelievably shite Scotland were. Italy get thumped but the games can be entertaining. Scotland in the past were THE most boring side in world rugby and the games were nearly always tedious grind fests. Scotland now would obliterate Scotland of 10 years ago. The issue is injuries and the fact the rest of the NH has moved on.

Also Townsend has the 2nd best ever win ratio for a Scottish coach.

Back in the bad old days, Scotland couldn't score a try for love nor money (I remember white line fever under Robinson with most points coming from Paterson's boot) but had some warrior forwards like Jason White and Kelly Brown. Now we have the backline (injuries aside) but a shortage of battle hardened forwards. If only we could merge the eras.

I think Scotland need to fire their medical team. Every side has injuries but somehow Scotland have a injury 'crisis' every year.

Latest posts