• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gregor Townsend

Should Scotland sack Townsend?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, its far to early

Votes: 25 86.2%

• Total voters
I think Scotland need to fire their medical team. Every side has injuries but somehow Scotland have a injury 'crisis' every year.

There definitely needs to be some kind of review to look at the root causes of the annual injury crisis. Scotland are particularly reliant on a number of key players who can be the difference between winning and losing a game. As such they are more liable to be targeted and roughed up but that can also happen to the other nations. It doesn't help when the exiles are forced to play for their clubs the weekend in between 6N games. The 'freak' crisis is probably down to the sum of a number of different factors combined and is accentuated by the lack of strength in depth.

Sacking Townsend would going way too far, almost every decent Scot has been injured. That said, it was the wrong decision to let Cotter go in the first place.

Who said he will get sacked lol, he could decide to walk away like Andy Robinson did after a loss to Tonga a few years ago.

Hi folks, been lurking for a while and thought I'd get involved.

Scotland fan here, I really hope Townsend is around for another 12 months yet. As said above the level of injuries Scotland are suffering is really not helping us, although I would like to see a more rounded game plan with some alternative tactics evident when we are needing to get control of things. That said without the choice players with the ability to execute the plan it becomes tricky.

Without wanting to go onto other topics too much (although it is related), I reckon if Hogg and Jones were on the field against Wales it could have been a different outcome. We have lost the cutting edge in the centres and Hoggs magic at 15 which coupled with a few omissions in the forwards has left us unable to apply a winning plan. It's not like we could just stick it in the corner and apply pressure (to make up for the depleted backs situation) because the forwards are not cohesive and strong enough at the moment.

Agree with the above, Cotter seemed to be building resilience into the side which has evaporated a little at the moment. I can see why he liked Laidlaw because he is indeed reliable, however to have a high scoring game with backs who have talent to show he isn't the quick zip of delivery that we need. Certain team mates say "oh but Greig can play quick if we need to", the problem is its the exception not the norm and Russell needs the ball quicker. Future is with G. Horne I suspect, Price is a good operator when on form but he doesn't quite have the Laidlaw brain on his shoulders (it may come with more game time). Will be interesting to see come WC time in September.

On Laidlaw (which I agree with), in general there has been a real lack of scrum half sniping in the tournament and slow ball delivery from the ruck from most sides - everyone is playing like Greig! :p

Defences really seem on top, with the scrum half increasingly reduced to box kicking with those comically extended rucks, with the last guy almost doing the splits to give the scrum half space. Hopefully something changes because the only scrum half I've enjoyed watching is Dupont.

Can't see any coach being able to do a much better job with the injury Chrises Scotland have, you really couldn't have lost more important players, I can't really see how this can change though, there really isn't a huge playing pool to pick from to build real depth, Hasting has looked quality though and may not have had a chance to demonstrate his qualities without forced injury's so some positives to take before the WC.

If Scotland had more leaders in the camp Laidlaw probably wouldn't get near it, I know he is handy place kicking but is he really that much better than Russell?

Fair comment Bruce can't say there has been much exciting play from the 9's either, hope its not going to become the new fashion!

Hastings has got real potential, as you say its about getting game time and experience so may have to just take this championship on the chin and try and build a bigger squad from it.

After Laidlaw I think the most influential player would be Barclay, and he's still out at the moment as well. We could do with a big second rower leading the charge a bit more, an AWJ or PoC if you like

I think today illustrated we are making progress with a real depth of squad and GT made the key changes at the right time.

I think he's easily the best man for the job. I'd rather see us win, lose or draw playing expansively

This squad may just have come of age. Roll on the World Cup ( I didn't think I'd be saying that at 0-31)

I think today illustrated we are making progress with a real depth of squad and GT made the key changes at the right time.

I think he's easily the best man for the job. I'd rather see us win, lose or draw playing expansively

This squad may just have come of age. Roll on the World Cup ( I didn't think I'd be saying that at 0-31)

Personally I wouldn't read too much into the match as there was likely an element of complacency from England, but I love the above sentiment. Trying to score points and trying to entertain whilst winning are grossly underrated in competitive sport. If those elements weren't important then we'd be as well watching competitive ironing or competitive paint drying.

Aye,
Someone else mentioned it on here but people are very quick to forget how dire the Dan Parks/Andy Robinson days were.

Regardless of results Scotland look so much healthier these days than they did a decade ago.

Aye,
Someone else mentioned it on here but people are very quick to forget how dire the Dan Parks/Andy Robinson days were.

Regardless of results Scotland look so much healthier these days than they did a decade ago.

Yes I totally agree. I attended the 2012 Calcutta Cup renewal at Murrayfield (in which I think Farrell made his England debut). It was decided by a blocked kick in our own 22 retrieved for a try by England and it was a borefest in comparison to today. Scotland huffed and puffed but masterminded by Robinson we couldn't blow over a vulnerable England side. Thankfully we now score tries and contribute to open entertaining spectacles. In fact we're as good as any when on the front foot.

Latest posts