Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Saracens-fail-in-bid-to.6290980.jp

A furious row has broken out just days before Saints' Premiership play-off with Saracens, with the visitors failing in an audacious attempt to hang a giant banner from the top of the Lift Tower on matchday.
The Hertfordshire-based club offered Pete Sullivan, owner of the giant landmark, life membership of the club if he agreed to hang the banner from the Lift Tower during Sunday's match at Franklin's Gardens.

But Mr Sullivan flatly refused the offer, preferring instead to remain loyal to his hometown club.

He said: "They contacted us to see if we would hang the banner but there was no chance. We'd all get knee-capped if that happened. We have got to stay loyal to the Saints."

It is not the first time a war of words has broken out between the two rivals this season, with tensions already at boiling point following Soane Tonga'huia's on-off move to Vicarage Road and the decision to ban a scheduled camel race ahead of the clubs meeting at Wembley Stadium on health and safety grounds.

A senior Saints insider said: "This is just the latest in a long line of gimmicks Sarries have employed this season to try to affect us. They have parked a double decker bus before outside the turnstile and handed out flags to all the fans,

"I'm not sure whether they are trying to rub us up the wrong way or they are just trying to gee their own fans up as they are so aware of the atmosphere we can create at the Gardens."

Sunday's crunch clash is the first Guinness Premiership semi-final to be staged at Saints home ground and club officials are hopeful a sell-out crowd will help recreate the atmosphere seen during the match against Munster earlier this season.

Saints spokesman Chris Wearmouth said: "The atmosphere that day was unbelievable and Saracens know exactly how important Franklin's Gardens is to us, it's quite flattering really. We want as many of our fans as possible to come along in their black, green and gold, fill the ground and cheer on the lads.

"It's a massive game. There is rivalry between the two clubs but that counts for nothing. It doesn't matter who we play, it's a semi-final, it's huge."

For tickets, call Northampton 581000.

--------------

God help us... I really wish Griffiths would **** off back to Zimbabwe and Saints office staff would grow up.

Problem is several idiots will make it spill over onto the terraces.

I feel sorry for any proper Saracen fans, their club does seem to be turing into a (tiresome) joke.

Meh, just a bit of light hearted banter really, and not all that different from giving out flags to home or travelling fans

This is going to be some game with lots of emotion and physicallity but Saints are good enough and well I hope they win as well they have developed and matured players ecxellently and it a credit to the club.

Latest posts