LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Comments (0)
Leicester Tigers have suffered a huge blow for their Aviva Premiership semi-final at Northampton with the news that key figures Ant Allen and Geoff Parling are unavailable.

Despite welcoming back six internationals to the team for the clash at Franklin’s Gardens, Tigers will be missing their defensive leader in open play and their No.1 line-out caller at the set-piece.

It is understood that Allen has not quite recovered from the knee injury he picked up at Sale a fortnight ago.

It looks like Parling has not had time to recover from the standard seven-day protocols in place for possible concussions after he left the field following a bang to the head against Saracens.

The Friday night fixture means there is only a six-day turnaround.

Blaine Scully, Boris Stankovich and Rob Hawkins are also ruled out because of concussion-related issues.

Fly-half Owen Williams moves aside for Toby Flood after leaving the field last weekend after a bang on the leg. He does, however, make the subs bench.

Director of rugby Richard Cockerill gives recalls to Niki Goneva, Marcos Ayerza, Logovi’i Mulpiola, Jordan Crane, Tom Youngs and brother Ben for the East Midlands derby.

There are also places in the forward pack for Ed Slater, Julian Salvi and Jamie Gibson after sitting out last week, and Dan Bowden joins Tuilagi at centre with Allen missing out.

Cockerill said: “We’ve come through 22 tough rounds of Aviva Premiership rugby, everyone has worked really hard and we’ve shown a lot of resilience to get here. Now it comes down to 80 minutes on Friday for a place in the final.â€

Tigers will wear the club’s white kit on the night.

Tickets for Friday are now only available from Franklin’s Gardens.

The game will be shown live in the Final Whistle bar at Welford Road. Admission is £2 which is redeemable against food or refreshments.

TIGERS

15 Mathew Tait

14 Niall Morris

13 Manusamoa Tuilagi

12 Dan Bowden

11 Vereniki Goneva

10 Toby Flood

9 Ben Youngs

1 Marcos Ayerza

2 Tom Youngs

3 Logovi’i Mulipola

4 Louis Deacon

5 Ed Slater (capt)

6 Jamie Gibson

7 Julian Salvi

8 Jordan Crane

Replacements

16 Neil Briggs

17 Tom Bristow

18 Fraser Balmain

19 Graham Kitchener

20 Steve Mafi

21 David Mele

22 Owen Williams

23 Adam Thompstone

SAINTS

15 Ben Foden

14 Ken Pisi

13 George Pisi

12 Luther Burrell

11 George North

10 Stephen Myler

9 Kahn Fotuali'i

1 Alex Waller

2 Mike Haywood

3 Salesi Ma'afu

4 Samu Manoa

5 Courtney Lawes

6 Tom Wood

7 Phil Dowson (capt)

8 Sam Dickinson

Replacements

16 Ross McMillan

17 Alex Corbisiero

18 Tom Mercey

19 Christian Day

20 Calum Clark

21 Lee Dickson

22 James Wilson

23 Tom Stephenson

Tigers injuries who would be in the 23 Stankovich, Hawkins, Cole, Parling, Scully, Allen.

Saints: Hartley (and prob some others not sure if any saints fans want to help out)

Saints should win this comfortably really IMO 1) I hate Friday nights, 2) Allen is a key player in the Tigs back line, 3) this backline has never played together (ever I think I may be wrong).

Also the laws of averages stand in saints favour they haven't beaten us in the last 10 games so they are found to win one.

Hmm, a team I dislike against a team whose fans I dislike.

Could and should be a cracker of a match though

I'm really looking forward to this one.

I feel that this season is a couple of weeks too short for Tigers. What I mean is that we're only just getting some key players back from long-term injury (Parling, Croft) and haven't had time to bed them into the team.

Allen is a huge loss in this context - let's hope Bowden steps up and keeps Burrell quiet.

Saints will be firing on all cylinders, North has been quiet of late and I'm sure he sees this as his stage to shine. On paper you'd have to go

Front row - Tigers
Back 5 forwards - Saints
Backs - Saints
Bench - Saints
Team cohesion - Saints

If Leicester manage to pull off a win tonight, it will be a monumental achievement!

It's a real shame we couldn't play this match on tomorrow or Sunday - then at least we'd have some of our more effective forwards available.

Tigs, I think Hartley is the only real first choice player Saints are missing.

This should be a cracker and a really interesting game for Saints in particular. A win and I'd back them to carry a load of confidence into the Amlin Final next week and beat Bath, which in turn is going to give them even more momentum going into the final.

A loss though and there are going to have to be some hard questions asked about why a team so dominant in the regular season can't keep it together in the knock outs.

I might be the only one but I see Tigers as favourites. I see players like Tuilagi, Goneva, Ayerza, Mulipola, Slater and think damn it's a strong team. That's not too say that Saints don't have their own top class players but Tigers have been there done that. Northampton always seem to stumble and find a way too lose, instead of being beat they beat themselves. This year might be different though, could even get a double.

I think tigers might get this one. We always seem to find some way to loose against them recently. I think these matches get built up so much players just loose control, loose game plan etc

I'm glad we don't have the tigers injury list though!

Lucky I checked, didnt know this was tonight, thought it was tomorrow or Sunday

Should be a real cracker of a game, really could go both ways. I think I'd back Leicester's mental confidence with the teams so close in quality.

Really looking forward to this!

Allen missing is a blow for Tigers, no doubt. Bowden's been on good form, though. Kinda surprised that Cockers hasn't started Flood at 12 with Williams at 10.
Parling is a blow, too, but less so due to amount of the season he's missed - also Kitchener being around helps. Surprised he hasn't started - Deacon has experience yadda yadda yadda but Kitchener is better. If he really wanted Deacon he could've dropped Gibson and put Slater back to 6 (I still don't rate Gibson in a Tigers shirt :p)

Saints with a strong, settled side. They'll miss Hartley but Haywood has been very good when Hartley's been away.

Too close to call, this. You'd think Saints, due to home advantage and the demolition job on Wasps last week - but Tigers always up their game for Saints and know how to make a prem final regardless of that seasons form.

Predictions...?

I reckon 2 yellows and one England player ruled out of the tour through injury.

I can't see Leicester losing myself, just hoping to see a good game though. No injuries too Rats!

I really want Saints to win - purely because of the permutations for the first test.

Pretty neutral myself but I would love to see Ford, Eastmond, Tuilagi given a go so I guess I will join you as a Saints fan :)

Would really like to see Saints win. They've been better over the season, probably deserve to break their Leicester hump and I'd rather have them in the final due to the first test permutations.

Let's go!

Fotuali'i's passing has been..............interesting.

Edit: Harsh yellow, he was kicking at that ball before it was picked up.

Last edited:
Terrible composure from Saints, you can't let the oppo come at you like that when they're a man down.

Yeah, Saint's are starting to look like they've got something caught in their throat...

Latest posts