• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leicester Tigers salary cap breach?

Apparently Bristol have paid out the arse for MacGinty - got into a bit of a bidding war with us (which was smart play by his agent as he'd already made up his mind to leave)
Good to know and he's worth every penny.... BUT it shows that Briz are in an even more tricky situation. You can't be paying £1m for Piutau, Radrada on probs 500k plus, Lutatua on 500k plus, Sinckler only 300k plus then add McGinty, Genge, Bradbury etc.

Plus we forget people like O'Connor, Sheedy, Thacker, Thomas, Vui will be on good contracts too.

Issue is, who are they going to sell them too? Other premiership clubs are all having the same issue, though to a lesser extent and don't have much room for players. They are likely to have to look overseas really. Also the player has to agree and I don't see them being offered the same salary as what they were on at Bristol if clubs know Bristol are desperate to sell. Players might be forced to choose between a reduced salary or get into a big face off with Bristol.
I think we have room for a fullback/wing and a centre. Blackett has even suggested a few backs are needed.

So we could make room for Piutau and Radrada :D:eek: hahaha

It sounds very much like a Sarries type issue, trying to find a competitive edge and used a loophole thats blown up in their face.

I wonder what the repurcussions will be? Realistically i've heard Genge is on 320k and MGinty will at least match Sheedy etc. whose at 150k plus and Bradbury won't have left for much under 200k and Ibitoye has come in too.

So with only Alex Groves, Ben Bamber and Attwood gone.. there will be some serious changes needed to get under the salary cap.
Had Ibitoye been confirmed on Bristol's end yet?

Most interesting stat from the report, for me, is that the average of the 24 top paid players is quite a bit higher than the average of all of the Marquee players, so a few clubs are paying some non-marquee players more than the average marquee player is paid (guessing Bristol is one, as Sinckler and one of Luatua/Piutau/Radradra can't be marquee)

Most interesting stat from the report, for me, is that the average of the 24 top paid players is quite a bit higher than the average of all of the Marquee players, so a few clubs are paying some non-marquee players more than the average marquee player is paid (guessing Bristol is one, as Sinckler and one of Luatua/Piutau/Radradra can't be marquee)
I doubt that clubs particularly use the term "marquee player" for anything other than salary cap reports.
Any clubs marquee player will simply be their best paid, eligible player, who may not be in their top 3 earners.

At Bath, for example, fans say things like "Feletau and Watson have gone, therefore we've got a marquee slot available that hasn't been filled" in reality, Underhill has probably taken the marquee spot, unless we recruit someone with a larger salary than him, who's eligible to be marquee.

35C68C3A-A013-41AE-BE89-442A47A775A1.jpeg

I doubt that clubs particularly use the term "marquee player" for anything other than salary cap reports.
Any clubs marquee player will simply be their best paid, eligible player, who may not be in their top 3 earners.

At Bath, for example, fans say things like "Feletau and Watson have gone, therefore we've got a marquee slot available that hasn't been filled" in reality, Underhill has probably taken the marquee spot, unless we recruit someone with a larger salary than him, who's eligible to be marquee.
True, but I was thinking more in terms of salary cap implications - £532k average salary for the top earners vs £457k for marquee players means there's teams spending a pretty big portion of their cap space on one guy

You'd expect it to be Falcons with no excluded players with all the chat about them not being at the cap?
Who at Falcons is on half a mil+ a year, though?

Latest posts