• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints

With the cap as it is that might be risky.
Yes you are but seen we have snapped him and tighthead Alfie Petch from Exeter.
Can't say I know a whole lot about him other than he seems to have played for Cornish Pirates all season.
We are 9 and 17 out with what I would imagine some were on decent money who have gone.
Big T
Francis
Harrison.
API
Tuala.
Wood.
Incoming no real big names so I'm guessing no big money specially as we picked up a few Aussies.
Would think we are nearly done just reduced squad by a few to hit cap and relay on Academy to produce a player or to which in fairness we have been ok at in last few seasons.

With the cap reduction that's a good bit of business - probably came pretty cheap (after being shipped off by Exeter on loan) so won't make much of a dent in the cash Wood's retirement has freed up

Signed Alfie Petch as well who I know very little about. 128kg scrummaging TH apparently from Exeter but been with Cornish pirates recently.

Hinkley is a good player. He should have a good crack at rebuilding with Saints.

So I've tried to put next season's squad together by position. It's hard to figure out who's senior academy and who's main squad so some maybe not included that should be (E Grayson and Litchfield?)

Do we think this is the squad now? Do we need more at 12?

1. Waller, Hobbs-Awoyemi, Iogen, Waller
2.Haywood, Fish, Matavesi, Smith
3. Hill, Painter, Heffernan, Hughes, Petch
4/5. Ribbans, Moon, Nansen, Coles, Salakaia-Loto
6. Wilkins, Lawes, Scott-Young
7. Ludlum, Hinkley
8. Augustus, Graham

9. Mitchell, James, Braley
10. Bigger, Grayson
12. Dingwall
13. Proctor, Hutchinson
11/14. Collins, Sleightholme, Skosan, Ramm
15. Furbank, Freeman

So I've tried to put next season's squad together by position. It's hard to figure out who's senior academy and who's main squad so some maybe not included that should be (E Grayson and Litchfield?)

7. Ludlum, Hinkley
8. Augustus, Graham

10. Bigger, Grayson
12. Dingwall
13. Proctor, Hutchinson
15. Furbank, Freeman
Younger Grayson smashed it at 12 for England under 20s team and litchfield has been looking very good so expect one of those two to play 12 if Dingwall and or Hutchinson are out.

I'd still like a big centre to come in though for the wonder months when we struggle.

7. Ludlum, Hinkley
8. Augustus, Graham

10. Bigger, Grayson
12. Dingwall
13. Proctor, Hutchinson
15. Furbank, Freeman
I hadn't thought about it too much until you posted this, but Saints have built a handy squad that's not going to be massively impacted by test call ups. You could do well next season.

Realistically, your entire tight 5 should be available all season (barring injury of course). Even if Lawes and Ludlam are away, you've recruited some very decent back ups in Scott-Young and Hinkley.

Halfbacks might be a different story with Mitchell (fairly likely) and Biggar (certain) to be absent for test windows, but James and Grayson are pretty good back ups.

Dingwall, Furbank and Freeman might well get called up for England and same for Hutchinson with Scotland. However, all four are on the fringes rather than likely participants in match-day squads, so even if they get the call-ups, you might get them back. Even if you don't the likes of Litchfield and Henry can deputise or players like Ramm might end up being astute additions.

Grayson jnr and Litchfield can be added to centres and Hendy to back 3.
Done and edited. Looks a bit more depth at 12 now as well:
7. Ludlum, Hinkley
8. Augustus, Graham

10. Bigger, J Grayson
12. Dingwall, E Grayson, Litchfield
13. Proctor, Hutchinson
15. Furbank, Freeman, Hendy

I hadn't thought about it too much until you posted this, but Saints have built a handy squad that's not going to be massively impacted by test call ups. You could do well next season.

Realistically, your entire tight 5 should be available all season (barring injury of course). Even if Lawes and Ludlam are away, you've recruited some very decent back ups in Scott-Young and Hinkley.

Halfbacks might be a different story with Mitchell (fairly likely) and Biggar (certain) to be absent for test windows, but James and Grayson are pretty good back ups.

Dingwall, Furbank and Freeman might well get called up for England and same for Hutchinson with Scotland. However, all four are on the fringes rather than likely participants in match-day squads, so even if they get the call-ups, you might get them back. Even if you don't the likes of Litchfield and Henry can deputise or players like Ramm might end up being astute additions.
Surely Braley will be second choice at 9 but we'll see

Not sure about that personally. James is the better player IMO. I get that Braley has test caps but hat doesn't necessarily mean he's much cop.

If Braley gets back to his Gloucester form he will be, but the Italy move was a mistake (by his own admission) so who knows whether his form dropping off a cliff is permanent or just needs to wash off

Done and edited. Looks a bit more depth at 12 now as well:
7. Ludlum, Hinkley
8. Augustus, Graham

10. Bigger, J Grayson
12. Dingwall, E Grayson, Litchfield
13. Proctor, Hutchinson
15. Furbank, Freeman, Hendy
Matavesi signed at 12 as well mid season. Just remembered, can't remember the length of the the contract though.

That's what I wasn't sure of. If it till the end of the season or longer term?
Just checked, he signed a permanent deal with the club after his trial but it didn't so contract length (but at least he's here for next season).

Lists him as a FH though, thought he was a 12.

Latest posts