• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2014/15: Round 6

So will Peter O'Mahoney ever get penalised for not supporting his weight? Literally never does, always has his knees leaning on the tackled player, its terrible!

Also this ref is pretty terrible, made some really odd decisions so far.

glasgow team to face ulster

15. Peter Murchie
14. Sean Maitland
13. Mark Bennett
12. Peter Horne
11. Tommy Seymour
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Euan Murray
4. Tim Swinson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss (Captain)

Replacements

16. Dougie Hall
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Jonny Gray
20. Adam Ashe
21. Niko Matawalu
22. James Downey
23. Sean Lamont

Well chalk that one up to another Pro12 game spoiled by an awful ref. Not saying that it changed the result, Munster were the better and (importantly) more composed side, while the Scarlets made far too many errors with ball in hand. Scarlets can feel hard done by the string of very poor calls that basically put the match out of reach. Could've been a pretty good contest, but the amount of unnecessary and frankly bemusing penalties and pre-mature whistle blowing seemed to ruin the game as a spectacle.

So will Peter O'Mahoney ever get penalised for not supporting his weight? Literally never does, always has his knees leaning on the tackled player, its terrible!

Pashun supports his weight.

Ha ha not me groundhog I'm not that high up (yet ). I stick to sideline.

Regards game it was mixed bag. Zebo looked very sharp which was a plus and well our back row are really making statements. Tommy is getting back to his best and CJ is getting better by game.
Regards POM and comments about his style at breakdown. We've had many top refs in and fact they all never pull him on it shows its ok. If you get style right like he does you are allowed use man for leverage and that allows the support of his own weight. The law is simply about not going in and collapsing down but his style shows his position is still upfront and fair.

Ha ha not me groundhog I'm not that high up (yet ). I stick to sideline.

Regards game it was mixed bag. Zebo looked very sharp which was a plus and well our back row are really making statements. Tommy is getting back to his best and CJ is getting better by game.
Regards POM and comments about his style at breakdown. We've had many top refs in and fact they all never pull him on it shows its ok. If you get style right like he does you are allowed use man for leverage and that allows the support of his own weight. The law is simply about not going in and collapsing down but his style shows his position is still upfront and fair.

Definitely seen refs ping it, so I'd imagine its in the laws somewhere. I mean he's not supporting his own weight is he? The bloke he's leaning on is the "support", so just feels wrong to me.
On the flip side some refs pay no attention to it whatsoever, Wayne Barnes pretty much completely ignores even the most blatant cases of it.

Definitely seen refs ping it, so I'd imagine its in the laws somewhere. I mean he's not supporting his own weight is he? The bloke he's leaning on is the "support", so just feels wrong to me.
On the flip side some refs pay no attention to it whatsoever, Wayne Barnes pretty much completely ignores even the most blatant cases of it.
By the rule of the law, yes he's using the man on the ground to support his weight, which is illegal. In practice..... Rarely caught out, as from where the ref is standing, it's difficult to see anything wrong, and even so his jackling technique and body position is good enough that he could easily adapt if he is called up on it.
The ref, was tonight cynical and pedantic for both sides at time. I did feel a bit sorry for the Scarlets at times as they were more regularly on the recieving end. The standard of reffing in this league is pretty **** poor though.

Jaysus impossible to watch that match on the stream, but delighted Connacht managed a 9-6 victory after the 2/3 points we blew last week.

POM does support his own weight. Not many players can do what he does, simple as that.

I would agree that the ref was very pedantic. Still rugby is a very hard sport to referee so unfortunately there'll always be controversy.

Butthing is as I said he's still fully in control and able to control his body if driven back so it's not illegal really. His technique and style are just very good

Butthing is as I said he's still fully in control and able to control his body if driven back so it's not illegal really. His technique and style are just very good

Is that the guideline for making it illegal though? The supporting your weight rule is because being in that position gives you an unfair advantage over the ball, makes you harder to clear from the ruck. That's the only reason I have a problem with it.

Not denying that his technique is nigh on perfect, wouldn't get away with out otherwise!

Edinburgh 0- 0 Dragons. 15 min gone.

Is that the guideline for making it illegal though? The supporting your weight rule is because being in that position gives you an unfair advantage over the ball, makes you harder to clear from the ruck. That's the only reason I have a problem with it.

Not denying that his technique is nigh on perfect, wouldn't get away with out otherwise!

He seems to take a wide, low stance which helps lower his center of gravity which means hes harder to shift off it. He is strong too. Apparently when in the academy he was outperforming David Wallace in the gym.

Edinburgh 0- 0 Dragons. 15 min gone.

Messy messy game so far. Think Dragons are playing the smarter game at the breakdown at the moment. Edinburgh throwing men into rucks needlessly, but if they can find space for their backs they look more likely to score.

Zebre 3-3 Leinster HT

Caught the last 5 minutes of the 1st half in a stream. Leinster went back and forth across the backline for four minutes before eventually winning and kicking a penalty, standard stuff from this year anyway! Boss is far too slow as well.

Ah Scotty putting the Italian time up!

Apparently both halfbacks had horrible firsthalves but Madigan got a nice try there. Moore also went off injured pretty early.

EDIT: Furlong also out before the game so Bent is playing tighthead and looks like he'll be benching for Ross next week,

Last edited:
Luke McGrath try after Jack throws a dummy and gets stopped just short trying to score on his birthday!

20-3

Last edited:
glasgow seriously needs to wake up in the second half or else it looks like a first lost for them

Just on the PO'M issue above I'll be very interested as to how Glen Jackson views it as the SH's idea of supporting your weight is very different to the NH's.