Guinness Pro 12: Round 6

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Come here, look, the focus is back on the good stuff. The World Cup is just a Mickey Mouse tournament made so the SH can feel good about themselves. Us Celtic nations all voted against it, the good stuff is our go to rugby again, let's enjoy it!

Glasgow v Ospreys
Treviso v Leinster

are the remaining matches, Leinster looking pretty damn sexy!!

It was only Treviso so there's no need to go overboard but there were real signs of improvement from Leinster in their 3-27 bonus point away victory. The team are trying to play attacking, heads up rugby again unlike the turgid, skill deficient way they were performing last season. The returning Ireland internationals provided a boost but some others like Ben Te'o, Cathal Marsh off the bench and Jack Conan were terrific. Hayden Triggs had a solid debut too and, not that he ever needed to prove me wrong, Isa Nacewa looks excellent for somebody who's coming out of a 24 month retirement. The lineout needs serious work though.

It was only Treviso so there's no need to go overboard but there were real signs of improvement from Leinster in their 3-27 bonus point away victory. The team are trying to play attacking, heads up rugby again unlike the turgid, skill deficient way they were performing last season. The returning Ireland internationals provided a boost but some others like Ben Te'o, Cathal Marsh off the bench and Jack Conan were terrific. Hayden Triggs had a solid debut too and, not that he ever needed to prove me wrong, Isa Nacewa looks excellent for somebody who's coming out of a 24 month retirement. The lineout needs serious work though.

I only saw the highlight of that one but it seemed that Leinster were playing some very positive attacking rugby which (not to jump the gun given as you say it was only Treviso) looked more akin to the Leinster of old than anything seen under the MO'C tenure regardless of opposition. Seemed to attack wide and looked skilled enough to do it as well.
Connacht seem to have finally learned how not to self destruct during games in which they're dominant which is what they've seriously been missing in the past. Plenty of talent there although I worry about the lack of a top level seasoned out half when it gets to crunch time. I consider all of their out halves average which is a shame given the centre partnership outside of them.
Hard to speak on the Munster game. We showed a lot of attacking ability but far too porous in defence at the same time. Stander seems to constantly move from strength to strength and someone taught O'Leary to pass the ball with urgency it seems. Nice to have an alternative to the disaster that is Williams and Sheridan. I think Conway has looked sharp this season too.
Took not too much notice of Ulster but I'm very excited about McCloskey. Seems the real deal, which I think most of us have known was the case for a while.

Good Warriors win over Ospreys . Scotland being the best of the Six Nations teams in the WC has had an effect on Glasgow with 17 players unavailable for this game . New signings , Greg Peterson the US lock and giant winger Taqele Naiyaravorov both had tries . Bonus point and looking forward to Cardiff !

Hard to speak on the Munster game. We showed a lot of attacking ability but far too porous in defence at the same time. Stander seems to constantly move from strength to strength and someone taught O'Leary to pass the ball with urgency it seems. Nice to have an alternative to the disaster that is Williams and Sheridan. I think Conway has looked sharp this season too.
Took not too much notice of Ulster but I'm very excited about McCloskey. Seems the real deal, which I think most of us have known was the case for a while.

Both teams looked a lot sharper in attack than defence and some credit has to go to the attacks on both teams. I think the lack of a groundhog hampered both sides - lot of quick ball, lot of space.

Munster v Ulster was a strange game. Both teams were playing well and badly at the same time. The positive I am taking from it is that Tomás O'Leary is back and playing well. He might still take a bit to actually pass the ball but he is a big upgrade on our other options competing with Murray. CJ stander was excellent again, a lot of people seem to think he only plays well against the poorer Pro12 sides but this is not true. Chisholm has the feel of a real cult hit as a signing already. He has big shoes to fill, but he hasn't put a foot wrong, incredible lineout work.

Ps. Gilroy for Ireland. Maybe McCloskey too!

Munster v Ulster was a strange game. Both teams were playing well and badly at the same time. The positive I am taking from it is that Tomás O'Leary is back and playing well. He might still take a bit to actually pass the ball but he is a big upgrade on our other options competing with Murray. CJ stander was excellent again, a lot of people seem to think he only plays well against the poorer Pro12 sides but this is not true. Chisholm has the feel of a real cult hit as a signing already. He has big shoes to fill, but he hasn't put a foot wrong, incredible lineout work.

Ps. Gilroy for Ireland. Maybe McCloskey too!

Tomas does exactly was he was brought in to do. Be an experienced back up when Murray away. It's no coincidence Keatley has performed much better too with the experience inside at 9 it eases the pressure.
CJ has been consistently good at Pro12 and European level for near to 2 seasons now to be fair.
Chissy is a real coup. He's an old head and dare I say has been the head we need for lineouts after Paulies exit. Real experienced and has settled brilliantly buying in to everything the team is doing. Also his wife arrived just few weeks ago and since she's arrived and he's sort of settled better his performances have been superb.

Gilroy was electric and played like he'd a point to prove.
Zebo was just as equal for us and Conway is really having a superb start to the season. As confident as I've ever seen him. Must be tough as his housemate and close mate Felix is the man he's replacing in a way.
McCloskey and Henshaw should be Ireland's centre pairing and I'm no Ulster fan but a back line of Ruan, PJ, Trimble, McCloskey, Cave, Gilroy and Payne at his best spot 15 could really make Ulster a real force. Pity it won't happen either.

Also credit to BJ. Still going well despite having bad arthritis in elbow/shoulder areas and his advancing age.

Also credit to BJ. Still going well despite having bad arthritis in elbow/shoulder areas and his advancing age.

He's past it, but actually been slightly better than he was last season where he looked totally shot. Still much better than Archer.

Leinster have been class so far this season (minus the Edinburgh game in the ******* rain). They're playing such creative, attacking rugby but still under a good structure. It's not like they're randomly chucking the ball about. Our team is full of academy players with a few old heads. Marsh, JVdF, Moloney, Ringrose etc have been unreal. It's great that they worked with Dempsey in the academy and the As. Dempsey was making the Leinster As run rings around their opposition and the Seniors are doing the same. Our lineout is pretty poor at the moment. Definitely needs to be fixed. Can't wait to see what a backline like:
Reddan/McGrath
Sexton
Fitzgerald
Reid
Te'o
Isa
Kearney
can do with the carrying of SOB and Strauss in the pack as well. Ringrose should make a bench appearance or 2 in the CC as he's just not physically up to CC rugby yet although he's an absolute freak with ball in hand. Exciting times

Last edited:
He's past it, but actually been slightly better than he was last season where he looked totally shot. Still much better than Archer.

Well Archer did OK for a lad with a severely damaged disc causing neck issues.
BJ has struggled with arthritis so to have him there isn't bad at all

Leinster have been class so far this season (minus the Edinburgh game in the ******* rain). They're playing such creative, attacking rugby but still under a good structure. It's not like they're randomly chucking the ball about. Our team is full of academy players with a few old heads. Marsh, JVdF, Moloney, Ringrose etc have been unreal. It's great that they worked with Dempsey in the academy and the As. Dempsey was making the Leinster As run rings around their opposition and the Seniors are doing the same. Our lineout is pretty poor at the moment. Definitely needs to be fixed. Can't wait to see what a backline like:
Reddan/McGrath
Sexton
Fitzgerald
Reid
Te'o
Isa
Kearney
can do with the carrying of SOB and Strauss in the pack as well. Ringrose should make a bench appearance or 2 in the CC as he's just physically up to CC rugby yet although he's an absolute freak with ball in hand. Exciting times
Dempsey is an intelligent coach for sure. And proving good assistant.
But interesting there is no Dave Kearney McFadden Madigan and Ringrose. All fairly young except McFadden. It'll be tough to keep consistency up if rotating constantly. Isa named as captain surely means he's certain of a spot too I'd say.

Dempsey is an intelligent coach for sure. And proving good assistant.
But interesting there is no Dave Kearney McFadden Madigan and Ringrose. All fairly young except McFadden. It'll be tough to keep consistency up if rotating constantly. Isa named as captain surely means he's certain of a spot too I'd say.

Wouldn't have Madigan in the team at all. Fitz, Reid are far better options at 12 than him. Not a chance he'll start at FB, unless Kearney or Isa get injured. Sexton at 10. Forever and ever. Depending how Reid goes in the next few games, Fitz could be pushed to inside centre and one of Dave, McFadden, maybe Ringrose (probably not) would get the nod at 11. I don't know why we re-signed Kirchner.
I've heard some talk of Isa being club captain but not starting to let Irish players start. Do you think that should happen? I would be completely against it myself as he is on fire at the moment.

Didn't catch the Leinster match, was Ferg kicking because of Jonny being in the bin or is he the number one goalkicker for Leinster? I'm sure if you go through my posts on this forum you'd find me saying he should have been Leinster's goalkicker when Contepomi wasn't playing years ago!

McCloskey looks like he is ready to be 12 for Ireland for sure, but him at 12 and Kearney at 15 would lack creativity. I'm officially now in the Paddy Jackson at 15 for Ireland camp. Yeah it's pretty lonely.

Didn't catch the Leinster match, was Ferg kicking because of Jonny being in the bin or is he the number one goalkicker for Leinster? I'm sure if you go through my posts on this forum you'd find me saying he should have been Leinster's goalkicker when Contepomi wasn't playing years ago!

McCloskey looks like he is ready to be 12 for Ireland for sure, but him at 12 and Kearney at 15 would lack creativity. I'm officially now in the Paddy Jackson at 15 for Ireland camp. Yeah it's pretty lonely.

Can I talk you into the saner option of Stuart Olding at 15 for Ireland?

Can I talk you into the saner option of Stuart Olding at 15 for Ireland?

Olding can be a great player but I don't think he will fully make it as he is prone to injury it seems. And he will find it hard to get in to Ulster 15 first.

Olding can be a great player but I don't think he will fully make it as he is prone to injury it seems. And he will find it hard to get in to Ulster 15 first.

Well, yes, heaven forfend someone mention an Ulster player without you being along to mention your doubts.

Here lads, I'm thrilled with my 3:19am revelation that PJ should play 15 for Ireland. Never even considered it before but would actually love to see it. Olding if he got a run of games would be great too, but I actually want to see Zeebs play there.

Well, yes, heaven forfend someone mention an Ulster player without you being along to mention your doubts.

Well is it not a fair thing to say. He needs games and if you look at last time he put together a string of games then you'd realise. He has the base but it is possible he may never regain form.

Here lads, I'm thrilled with my 3:19am revelation that PJ should play 15 for Ireland. Never even considered it before but would actually love to see it. Olding if he got a run of games would be great too, but I actually want to see Zeebs play there.

Zebo could be a massive player there. He actually does have great vision but he should be getting a run of games there too to stake a claim.

I'm officially now in the Paddy Jackson at 15 for Ireland camp. Yeah it's pretty lonely.

No indeed. Not a good enough runner for a 15.

Although I've a long and storied history of talking crap... so who knows.