• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Habana - It's Rugby League (ELV's)

Which is the supposed tryless snore-fest again? :rolleyes: [/b]

There is absolutely no point in trying convince anyone that the (ELV-less) Guinness Premiership produces some wonderful running rugby. No supporter of any other league will believe you, even if you do throw countless statistics and reels of footage their way.

Personally I think it is the most consitently competitive domestic league in the world, and I can't see the new laws adding anything to it should they find their way over here.

The decision to reduce various offences to free-kicks, as many posters have stated, strikes me as ridiculous. Presumably you cannot produce yellow cards for consistently giving them away, thus teams have no motivation to stop infringing.

Acually no, the general 3 warnings rule stays in effect, if you keep infringing you will get a yellow card.

Acually no, the general 3 warnings rule stays in effect, if you keep infringing you will get a yellow card. [/b]

That doesn't add up for me. If an offence is no longer deemed worthy of a penalty, neither should it be worthy of a yellow card. IMO these laws move in completely the wrong direction - penalties should be enforced with greater strictness, not leniency.

No way was that game better than the one I mentioned (scrappy and unbalanced) - did you actually see it? As for the myth of low scoring games - lets look at the weekend results:

Sale Sharks 29 - 3 Leeds Carnegie
Bath Rugby 34 - 42 London Wasps
Harlequins 36 - 15 Worcester Warriors
London Irish 22 - 13 Leicester Tigers
Bristol Rugby 29 - 26 Gloucester Rugby
Newcastle 16 - 14 Saracens

Total of 279 points scored.

Now for the Super 14 with 'speedy', new, "I want to be league" rules:

Crusaders 34 - 3 Brumbies
Reds 22 - 14 Highlanders
Sharks 17 - 10 Force
Blues 32 - 14 Chiefs
Waratahs 20 - 3 Hurricanes
Stormers 9 - 16 Bulls
Cheetahs 22 - 23 Lions

Total of 241 points scored.

Which is the supposed tryless snore-fest again? :rolleyes: [/b]

But how many tries were scored, that would interesting to know.

I would have thought a similar amount in favour of the GP - the point is that it's a myth that northern hemisphere rugby is boring tryless rubbish. IMO anyone who says otherwise are misinformed and/or prejudiced.

Despite all that I strongly disagree with the premise that more tries always equals more excitement.

I would have thought a similar amount in favour of the GP - the point is that it's a myth that northern hemisphere rugby is boring tryless rubbish. IMO anyone who says otherwise are misinformed and/or prejudiced.

Despite all that I strongly disagree with the premise that more tries always equals more excitement.
[/b]
Keep it to your own thread then, how about that? How does this particular topic have anything to do NH rugby?

Personally I'm not that fussed. I thoroughly enjoy the new rules and the attacking opportunities they provide for teams that are willing to spread the ball and not just waste possession on kicking for territory. Then again i'm happy with the old rules, why I love rugby in the first place.

Regardless of what happens, if a team wants to play boring rugby, they will. Rules are there to be broken/bent/exploited.

On the plus side though, every single S14 team has been talking about their focus on conditioning, and while they're still buggered most of the time, by the end of the season the SH players will be bloody fit. Something that will come as a definite advantage when the NH sides come touring.

On the plus side though, every single S14 team has been talking about their focus on conditioning, and while they're still buggered most of the time, by the end of the season the SH players will be bloody fit. Something that will come as a definite advantage when the NH sides come touring.
[/b]

That will be a massive advantage. The NH sides will be doing there best to avoid the games becoming loose because they could get slaughtered in broken play.

On the plus side though, every single S14 team has been talking about their focus on conditioning, and while they're still buggered most of the time, by the end of the season the SH players will be bloody fit. Something that will come as a definite advantage when the NH sides come touring. [/b]

That is a very interesting point. But the same could go back to the SH teams having to re-adjust back to the old rules. But i dont think it would be that difficult for them to do so. They might do the odd tap the ball at a ruck indiscretion lol.

Anyways, its still no where near like league! lol

<div class='quotemain'> Acually no, the general 3 warnings rule stays in effect, if you keep infringing you will get a yellow card. [/b]

That doesn't add up for me. If an offence is no longer deemed worthy of a penalty, neither should it be worthy of a yellow card. IMO these laws move in completely the wrong direction - penalties should be enforced with greater strictness, not leniency.
[/b][/quote]

So what? This is the point, to reduce the amount of penalties and increase the speed/intensity of the game. This is why the ELV's were even considered in the first place.

It makes sense to me, continual infringing of a non-penalty offense does lead to a penalty/yellow card. What's wrong with that?

Penalties are now only awarded for offside, not entering a ruck through the gate and general foul play. Is this not enough? Anything else is petty IMO, and a free kick/scrum option is much better for the game. Why give penalties for every offense?

I still dislike the 22m kicking rule, that in no way helps produce free flowing rugby (what we want), it rather produces a game of pointless running and aerial ping-pong (what we don't want).

have to agree with wc. like they do now, if there is continious infringments, its going to **** the ref off, which will result in a yellow card. but whats happened now, is instead of having, errors resulting in a free kick, and illigitimate play resulting in a penalty, we have some illigitmate play becoming the same as a free kick. what could have been considered is to have a free kick, where the lineout is where it goes over the line, with opposition throw, or even a quick drop kick.

as for the pass in the 22 ruling, atm the way people talk about it, it sounds like if you kick inside your 22 into touch on the full, its from where you kick it. remember - if you are already in your 22 its like normal. so aerial ping pong will be taken out slowly... hopefully. because it is important for a team to go - hey, this isnt going anywhere, lets just get some ground and start from a new platform.

Your right all these rules are doing the oposite of what they are soposed to do

It also means if your two points up with 5 mins to go you can continuously kill the ball and all theyle get is quick taps wich only work when they take you by surprise [/b]

Exactly. The powers that be shouldn't stop a team from kicking penalties. What they should do is reduce a penalty goals worth to 2 points and a field goal to 1. It has to be the dumbest rule in Union and it has killed the game for too long, the sooner they change that the better off the game in general.

Your right all these rules are doing the oposite of what they are soposed to do

It also means if your two points up with 5 mins to go you can continuously kill the ball and all theyle get is quick taps wich only work when they take you by surprise [/b]

Exactly. The powers that be shouldn't stop a team from kicking penalties. What they should do is reduce a penalty goals worth to 2 points and a field goal to 1. It has to be the dumbest rule in Union and it has killed the game for too long, the sooner they change that the better off the game in general.
[/b]
Uhhh...doing that well and truely WILL change it to rugby league....

I'm happy everybody agrees on one thing, that there's too much aimless kicking. My friends think so, the people in the sport bars think so, people in other rugby blogs think so.

That seems to be everyones pluck.

Now all we gotta hope that SANZAR is taking note of this.

That new law for kicking from your 22 has got to go.

You cant carry it back into the 22, cant pass it to someone in the 22 is when you cannot kick out on the full. I'm pretty sure.

yeah if your already in your 22, you can still kick it out on the full, but it cant be passed back into your 22. ie, scrum half in on around 30m, cant throw the ball back all the way to the 5/8 inside the 22.

peppers and ainsy - both wrong. if you continious offences happen around the ruck, there will be a penalty. alot of penaltys come from entering from the sides of rucks, and pulling players in. both are still illegal play. points imo should stay the same. its simple. if penaltys are lowered, theres more insentive to commit a penalty. instead of being, 3 points, its only 2. how can you convince me that a unconverted try and a penalty should be worth less or the same as a converted try - remembering that your supporting the offender, rather than the victims. drop goals are done with skill. the only argument i can accept is if a drop goal right in frount inside the 22 is worth 2, but one 40m out is worth 3 etc.

the new laws should only be judged however, after a season of international play, rather than 1 round of super rugby.

the new laws should only be judged however, after a season of international play, rather than 1 round of super rugby.
[/b]

There should certainly be no rush to judgement on these ELV's.
I think the 'aimless' kicking will settle down eventually and a more 'tactical' awareness will develop as players get used to the laws.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I think the 'aimless' kicking will settle down eventually and a more 'tactical' awareness will develop as players get used to the laws. [/b][/quote]

hopefully the laws will either make kicks dissaper, or kick into corners of the feild, going out on the bounce. how good would it be if it were to become, drop kicks out on the full, the lineout is where it goes out. backyard rules!!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I think the 'aimless' kicking will settle down eventually and a more 'tactical' awareness will develop as players get used to the laws. [/b][/quote]

hopefully the laws will either make kicks dissaper, or kick into corners of the feild, going out on the bounce. how good would it be if it were to become, drop kicks out on the full, the lineout is where it goes out. backyard rules!!
[/b][/quote]

Like RL? ;)

Latest posts