• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Half Time citings

D

dundeesmiffy

I had an idea a few weeks ago, I don't know if it's been considered but I think it'd be a good idea, I was wondering what other people thought about it.

Say for instance a player does something violent during the first half of a game that is televised, but goes unnoticed by the referee and touch judges but the cameras catch it. I'm talking about indisputable acts of violence/bad sportsmanship that only the cameras catch and none of the officials.

Do you think it'd be a good idea for referees to yellow or red card players during the half time break so they can't take place in the first 10 minutes or even the whole of the second half?

I think it'd be a good idea, but for only the most violent of instances.

It might come over as cowardly for a ref to card someone behind closed doors. And would they have time to scour 40 mins of TV replays for offences during a short half time break? And would there be an appeal court in the dressing room in they wanted it overturned?

Well for it to work it would have to be under the remit of the TMO who would have the time to go through replays throughout the match.

It's not the worst idea especially if the incident in case has caused the opposition to lose a key player but whether it would be a starter with the IRB I'm not so sure.

Citings was the wrong word, I meant cardings....if that's even a/the word.

If you can get away with it, why not!! Makes the game far more exciting + the refs fault for not seeing it!!

If you can get away with it, why not!! Makes the game far more exciting + the refs fault for not seeing it!! [/b]

thats all very well for minor offences, but not in instances where there is dangerous play that could/did cause injury to a player.

This seems like a good idea. The only reason I object to TMO's adudicating on off-the-ball incidents ect. is that it slows the game down, but if the TMO watches the evidence during the game and delivers a verdict at a suitable time (ie. HT) then why not? (although this would of course affect what we see on TV)

Only thing I would insist on is that the ref shows the card on the field of play, to avoid the ref taking a cowardly way out of upsetting home fans!

Latest posts