• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Handball Eurocup

D

DonBilly

Guys, I know that for an unknown reason Handball is not popular in what the French call the anglo-saxon world. Maybe because it was not invented by them, I don't know.

This sport is very popular on the continental Europe but also in North-Africa some Asian Countries (Korea & Japan) and Latin American (Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba) too.

In some way it is more global than Rugby. It is very popular in schools and universities and I think there are more Handball players than Rugby players in France. The powerhouses of this sport are Russia, Sweden, Ukraine, Brazil, Algeria, Tunisia, Germany, Spain, Iceland, Denmark, France, Rumania, Serbia & Croatia.

The current World Champion is Spain, the Europe Champion ***le was played yesterday and while the French Rugby team was losing versus the Scots, the French Hanball team won the European final versus Spain, in SF they have defeated the Olympic Champion, i.e. Croatia, and in QF Germany the until Sunday European champion.

The European ***le is played every two years in alternance with the World ***le. Next year competition should be very interesting. The French have injected young blood in their team, the Spaniars are always very dynamic, the Balkans i.e; Slovenia, Serbia and Croatia should be back too.

On the continent Handball is as popular as Basketball in many countries. Rugby is more popular in France and Italy where's Volleyball is with Basketball dominating the sport scene far behind Calcio (i.e. football).

C'mon mate it was one loss, you guys still have a good chance at winning the 6nations

No need to do anything stupid like turning to handball
slap.gif

I take it this is Olympic Handball you're talking about and not handball that we play in Ireland?

Yes indeed. The game played usually indoor with seven players in each team.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 6 2006, 04:59 PM
C'mon mate it was one loss, you guys still have a good chance at winning the 6nations

No need to do anything stupid like turning to handball
slap.gif
Well this was not the point. But since there's a section dedicated to other sports and I thought that I could put something about a sport which is not NFL, GAA, poofball or even worse cricket.

Olympic Handball is brilliant, a guy in my year is trying to get a school team together but the Irish handball association are very slow to send out information and equipment.