• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Has this World Cup lived up to its expectation?

i think that the horns that have a weid name just kill the atmosphere they just blow them like i's the only reson they went to the game.

The quality has definitely increased in the last 5 days or so (bar the England match). Expecting the Argies to win it. They've looked the most impressive

Compared to 4 years ago then no, this World Cup hasn't lived up to the hype so far. What this World Cup has done is prove that the minnows can do well, even if it means playing negative football to grind out draws or 1-0 wins. Now that some sides are being knocked out leaving the better teams I think we will get much better games.

Portugal looked good against the Commies, Argentina are clicking into gear and so are Brazil. I can only see a South American winner in this tournament with Spain the losing finalists as they are the only European to have looked convincing in their 2 games so far.

I think you could say that about quite a few teams in this tournament though.

This tournament is starting to gain momentum now. Best WC ever for me so far. I'm over the vuvuzela's now. They are dying out anyway. There were virtually none at the England game. Slovakia vs Italy was an incredible game to watch. Both the previous tournaments finalists are out in the first round. Now come on England! And come on Spain!

It's mad,
If Spain draw or lose, and Switzerland win or draw, today (which could very well happen) then Spain will be out as well

Poor effort by Brazil and Portugal, what could have been the match of the tournament ends 0 - 0.
I don't get why they were content to just bumble through it, they were both pretty much guaranteed to get through (Ivory coast needed to win by 6 and Portugal lose by 4 for Portugal not to get through) so they should've gone out there and just gone for it, nothing to lose in that situation.

It's mad,
If Spain draw or lose, and Switzerland win or draw, today (which could very well happen) then Spain will be out as well

Not likely at 2-0 up, and Chile down to 10 men.

I had the Brazil game on te radio, it was quite funny listening to the commentators increasing boredom and frustration.

Brazil and Portugal was dreadful. There aren't many games lately that you can say that about though.

England vs Germany was an absolutely cracking match. I know the goal that wasn't given was tough on England but Germany were so good. If Argentina beat Mexico that quarter final could be the match of the tournament.

Was a hell of a match, loved it.

Can just see the red-tops tomorrow though "England robbed of world cup by shocking referee/linesman decision!"

All credit to the Germans. The decision to disallow Lampard's goal is a shocker, and I don't think that set of officials should ever be allowed to referee at that level again because it was THAT clearly over the line, but all that does is give the parasites in the press something to stick their teeth into and cry about. There will be some finger pointing going on, from Capello, to the underperforming Barry, the woefully out of form Lampard, the out of position Gerrard and the absolutely anonymous Rooney, but at the end of it all there is a key fact that will never go away - we are just not as good as we think we are.

I am genuinely shocked we've lost 4-1, I thought we had a good shot at going through today, but Capello made a huge mistake of keeping Upson in. He had a poor game against Slovenia apart from that block and either King or Carragher should have been back in. Who knows if it would have been any different? It could however hardly have been worse. The back 4 as a unit were an utter shambles today. Barry was ineffective at dealing with the admittedly very dangerous Ozil, and the German midfield ran the show and got them onto the front foot. Gerrard needed to be in midfield mixing it up and we missed him sorely.

Mistakes have been made all tournament, and Capello's refusal to change has propelled him towards the top of the scapegoat queue, but the underlying thing that none of the boneheads in the media will pick up on is the English pysche. We are not as good as we think we are, our players aren't as good as they think they are and we think they are, and the average Joe Soap on the street, the bandwagon jumper, is whipped into a frenzy by the hacks who build us up every time, and then start going on radio shows to express their disgust to another audience of cretins. That just covers the mental side of things, the footballing side will be done to death over the coming weeks and nobody is safe.

Just a total and utter let down. From start to finish.

Terry was woeful today, and what has crouch done to annoy Capello so much? He played about 10minutes all world cup

Also, does this mean that rooney is going to grow his beard, move to a caravan and be a groundskeeper now?

Latest posts