• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hec 2005/2006

oh ok then. Bit like the scarlets then. There's been one hell of a spring clean at stradey park

Sym; I think you will be really happy with Mike Hercus. He didn't get that much time at Sale but he's a really smart player. Guy that I played with that met him at the Eagles camp said he's a cocky ******* though. Still think he will improve your side.

Oh thanks for that. I did hear something from a friend of a friend about him lookin the bussiness in training. Though that may be bull.

Leinster confirmed today that they will play their pool games at the RDS instead of Lansdowne Rd this season. The capacity for the ground will be 13500 which is a decent support, should get a decent enough atmosphere for the games, more like Donnybrook used to be and better than an empty Lansdowne. Looks like the Leinster branch have to pay for the installation of floodlights though. They'll play a Celtic League match against Cardiff on October 15 to get the players and fans used to the venue ahead of the European games.

With 70000 tickets sold for their match against Stade Toulousain, Stade Français have a headache ahead of their HEC match with Leicester, where do they play the match, Stade Jean Bouin is too small, PSG don't seem keen on letting the Parc des Princes be used and another 4 stadiums have put their name forward, Stade Felix Bollaert in Lens, King Baudoin in Brussels, Stade Veledrome in Marseilles and the Stade Saint-Symphorien in Metz. Only problem with them 4 is the access for the home fans. Maybe if they could get somewhere like Charlety which is 20000 that might solve the problem.

The fixtures this week-end and predictions.

21 October 2005
Sale v Munster, 19:30
Ulster v Treviso, 19:30
Bourgoin v Glasgow, 19:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 October 2005
Castres v Newport-Gwent D'gons, 17:15
Calvisano v Perpignan, 13:00
Cardiff v Leeds, 13:00
Leicester v Clermont Auvergne, 14:45
Leinster v Bath, 17:15
Toulouse v Llanelli Scarlets, 15:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23 October 2005
Ospreys v Stade Francais, 15:00
Saracens vBiarritz, 15:00
Edinburgh v Wasps, 13:00

Injuries are certainly mounting up for Leinster ahead of the visit of Bath to the RDS, Hickie, Miller and Warner are all out, whether Rob Kearney starts is an interesting question, I'd start him given his form so far. Think it'll be a close one, don't know how to call it at this stage.

Munster going to Sale is a good one to start the competition off with, given their Celtic league form they'll go to Edgley Park with plenty of confidence. Peter Stringer has been included in the squad despite his recent injury problems. O'Connell will be a big loss but it should be a hum dinger given Sales win over Wasps, so confidence won't be a problem for either team.

I think sarries vs Biarritz will be a game to watch as there is no doubt on our day we could give them a good game, we could do with tevita vaikona and richard haughton bak , and if castaignede performs we culd b in with a shout

fingers crossd

Originally posted by el_tk+Oct 20 2005, 07:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (el_tk @ Oct 20 2005, 07:12 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sarries fan
@Oct 19 2005, 06:52 PM
richard haughton
That guy is incredible, he should be playing for England, along with Ugo Monye. [/b]
agreed at one time his defense was poor but now he is one of the best tacklers we have and from what he has done so far this season he seems to be bak on form,

saracens "possible" backline (including farrell with no injuries)

9, Kyran bracken/mosese rauluni/alan dickens
10, Glen Jackson,
11, Richard Haughton,
12, Andy Farrell,
13, Thomas castaignede
14, Tevita Vaikona,
15, Dan Scarbrough

it's not a bad thing to be catching Biarritz on the opening weekend, the last 2 seasons against Leinster and Wasps they've been distinctly mediocre so there's certainly hope for Saracens.

Biarritz at home for the first game is a good draw, they were awful against Wasps last season in the first. But you do need to balance that with their perofrmance at Welford Road where they blew the Tigers away.

Don't want to jinx Bath, but Leinster don't look as strong as they did last year - no DOB, Holwell or Hickie - should be a good game if we can keep up the levels of commitment we showed agsint Gloucester.

All these games on TV are reigniting my interest in Sky+.....

Originally posted by robbinho@Oct 20 2005, 02:08 PM
Biarritz at home for the first game is a good draw, they were awful against Wasps last season in the first. But you do need to balance that with their perofrmance at Welford Road where they blew the Tigers away.

Don't want to jinx Bath, but Leinster don't look as strong as they did last year - no DOB, Holwell or Hickie - should be a good game if we can keep up the levels of commitment we showed agsint Gloucester.

All these games on TV are reigniting my interest in Sky+.....
Leinster are also now without the handicap of Guy Easterby and Christian Warner and D'Arcy and Horgan looked sharp last week. The line-out will probably improve with the return of O'Kelly

Was reading somewhere about the possibility of no English teams qualifying for the quarter finals.

Makes interesting reading alright, but to be honest I can't see it happening.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Munster, Perpignan, Stade Français, Biarritz, Leinster and Stade Toulousain could all top their groups while anyone of Castres, Ulster or Bourgoin could pick up the runner-up spots.

In reality methinks that Wasps, Sale and Leeds have more than realistic chances of qualifying so I doubt there'll be no English representation in the knockout stages.

Could be the end of an era for the Irish clubs, as there is the distinct possibility that all 3 provinces could fall at the first hurdle. Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic though.

Mixed fortunes for the Irish sides tonight, Munster going down in Sale while Ulster saw off the challenge of Treviso, elsewhere Bourgoin managaed to beat Glasgow and get their campaign off to a positive start, after last years fiasco. I thought Bourgoin might pick up a bonus point in that one but at least they have a win and it's good for Leinster and Bath that they failed to do so.

Great start for Sale. Nice to see Bourgoin actually taking the competition seriously this year as well.

Sale and Wasps, Leicester if they step up, are the leading English contenders to qualify. Leeds have no chance the way they are playing at the moment, they are dire.

Yeah, but have you seen there stats in the GP?? They haven't won a single game yet, only gaining a losing bonus point. And with Justin Marshall in their side I'm suprised.

Il go with SFW's prediction, but its only just hot me how harsh it is not to be included in the HC for the first time in 6 years
<

but they proved last season that league form doesn't matter a damn when it comes to the cup competitions.