• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Rd 1

literally every commentator outside of Ireland [is] a swear word to me
DMgd2FhtBM0a.gif

That would make literally every commentator outside of Ireland a swear word to me! Languages are tricky.
Some commentators, although it's rare, correctly consider pronouncing names as part of their job. I mean they do constantly say players names, so it would make sense if you tried to learn how to pronounce them, for the sake of their mums.

IMO . They should at least make an attempt to know how to pronounce a name. it doesn't matter if they are not one hundred per cent correct, I agree languages are tricky. but if they are so wrong that it's clear they haven't even tried to learn how to pronounce it, that's not ok. Especially when their co commentator is saying a name completely differently and they don't bother to chat about it at half time.

Some commentators, although it's rare, correctly consider pronouncing names as part of their job. I mean they do constantly say players names, so it would make sense if you tried to learn how to pronounce them, for the sake of their mums.

IMO . They should at least make an attempt to know how to pronounce a name. it doesn't matter if they are not one hundred per cent correct, I agree languages are tricky. but if they are so wrong that it's clear they haven't even tried to learn how to pronounce it, that's not ok. Especially when their co commentator is saying a name completely differently and they don't bother to chat about it at half time.
Agree with this. It's literally their job. They have 46 names to remember, it's not some impossible task. If fans know how to pronounce names, then someone who's being paid to commentate should definitely know how to pronounce the names.

And it's also not like Ngatai is some 18-year-old on debut who no one's heard of; the man's an All Black. For a commentator to spend 80 mins saying nuh-gatty is very poor.

I know we're going off topic here, but it took I would say 3 years for non Irish commentators to get the name Donncha O'Callaghan. Listening to the South African commentators butcher Irish names now with the URC (as I'm sure we do to them too) is just how it goes!!

I'm with you though, commentators really should at least try and learn a surname they're not used to pronouncing.

Latest posts