• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Rd 2

Its hard to blame Glaws right? I get it ruins a game but I reckon they will fancy resting a number of lads away at Leinster have them back for the home game and go full bore whilst then backing it up at Bordeaux. Some ways clever game management.

However, it does leave a sour taste in the mouth but i get skivingtons logic.
Yeah no criticism. You can win half your games and qualify and they know Bordeaux will likely give up. Definitely the percentage play away to a team who denied last year's semi finalists and 2nd placed Top 14 side a point at home.

The system stinks though! Fix the format ASAP or this tournament will die, I care more about URC fixtures currently.

Yeah no criticism. You can win half your games and qualify and they know Bordeaux will likely give up. Definitely the percentage play away to a team who denied last year's semi finalists and 2nd placed Top 14 side a point at home.

The system stinks though! Fix the format ASAP or this tournament will die, I care more about URC fixtures currently.
oh the format will change. Baxter has already complained about the SA trips and I doubt any of the French sides will send strong sides unless they have to. They don't even like taking a train up to Paris. Premiership clubs will probably point to the current restructuring of English rugby to say they can't afford to take the trips.

Definitely think Prem sides will start wondering if it is worth the cash and effort. I honestly wouldn't lose much sleep if the Prem teams walked away at the moment.

I'm not sure what say English clubs have with regards to European competitions. Or is it a case of they happily signed up to play SA teams and it's not the attraction they thought it was.

oh the format will change. Baxter has already complained about the SA trips and I doubt any of the French sides will send strong sides unless they have to. They don't even like taking a train up to Paris. Premiership clubs will probably point to the current restructuring of English rugby to say they can't afford to take the trips.
Excluding SA doesn't chamge the format. It's the same as last year minus the double header in round 2

Sharks

15 Boeta Chamberlain, 14 Werner Kok, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ben Tapuai, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Jaden Hendrikse, 8 Phepsi Buthelezi, 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Gerbrandt Grobler, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Ntuthuko Mchunu

Substitutes: 16 Dan Jooste, 17 Dian Bleuler, 18 Hanro Jacobs, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Grant Williams, 22 Lionel Cronje, 23 Lukhanyo Am

Am being back albeit off the bench is huge for the Sharks. I really don't rate their backline as a unit but with Am as the glue things might happen in any case.

This Sharks side reminds me a lot of the Allister Coetzee Era Stormers. You have the Bok pack but no backline to work off that platform.

I mean, at one stage Stormers were putting out Kitshoff, Mbonambi, Malherbe or Koch or Louw with Etzebeth, PSdT, Kolisi and Vermeulen. No silverware..
What happened to fassi?

In all the excitement of last week's game I didn't realise Carpenter pulled his hamstring and we ended the game with 14 on the pitch,
Tuilagi on concussion standdown too,

Would've preferred starting one of Curtis/Mills at 12 tbh, but can understand why they've gone with Hill,
Bit wary about McGuigan at 15 - he's only played there for us a couple of times and didn't look great, I doubt not playing there for several years is gonna have improved that
Not keen on no lock on the bench - have always hated having a backrower get 60mins in their legs then having to shift to the engine room

Sale Sharks Starting XV:
15. Byron McGuigan, 14. Arron Reed, 13. Sam James, 12. Sam Hill, 11. Tom O'Flaherty, 10. Rob Du Preez ©, 9. Gus Warr; 1. Bevan Rodd, 2. Akker Van Der Merwe, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Cobus Wiese, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Jean-Luc Du Preez, 7. Tom Curry, 8. Daniel Du Preez

Replacements:
16. Ewan Ashman, 17. Simon McIntyre, 18. Joe Jones, 19. Jono Ross, 20. Ben Curry, 21. Joe Simpson, 22. Tom Curtis, 23. Ryan Mills.

the English and French are unhappy with the current state of the competition --> the format will change
If the French and English had as much say in the comp as the Irish sides claim then the South African sides wouldn't have been included in the first place

In all the excitement of last week's game I didn't realise Carpenter pulled his hamstring and we ended the game with 14 on the pitch,
Tuilagi on concussion standdown too,

Would've preferred starting one of Curtis/Mills at 12 tbh, but can understand why they've gone with Hill,
Bit wary about McGuigan at 15 - he's only played there for us a couple of times and didn't look great, I doubt not playing there for several years is gonna have improved that
Not keen on no lock on the bench - have always hated having a backrower get 60mins in their legs then having to shift to the engine room

Sale Sharks Starting XV:
15. Byron McGuigan, 14. Arron Reed, 13. Sam James, 12. Sam Hill, 11. Tom O'Flaherty, 10. Rob Du Preez ©, 9. Gus Warr; 1. Bevan Rodd, 2. Akker Van Der Merwe, 3. Nick Schonert, 4. Cobus Wiese, 5. Jonny Hill, 6. Jean-Luc Du Preez, 7. Tom Curry, 8. Daniel Du Preez

Replacements:
16. Ewan Ashman, 17. Simon McIntyre, 18. Joe Jones, 19. Jono Ross, 20. Ben Curry, 21. Joe Simpson, 22. Tom Curtis, 23. Ryan Mills.
Strong team still tbf. I might have to watch this one, especially with Mills now in, 3 ex wasps playing! (not including TT)

Saints:
15 George Furbank
14 James Ramm
13 Matt Proctor
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Tommy Freeman
10 Fin Smith
9 Alex Mitchell

1 Alex Waller
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Ehren Painter
4 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 David Ribbans
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:
16 Mikey Haywood
17 Emmanuel Iyogun
18 Alfie Petch
19 Alex Moon
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Aaron Hinkley
22 Callum Braley
23 Fraser Dingwall

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Jack Crowley, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O'Donoghue, Peter O'Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Dave Kilcoyne, Roman Salanoa, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly

Love the decision to start Crowley at 12. I think we should absolutely get a result here. Anyone able to tell me how strong that Saints side is?

Saints:
15 George Furbank
14 James Ramm
13 Matt Proctor
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Tommy Freeman
10 Fin Smith
9 Alex Mitchell

1 Alex Waller
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Ehren Painter
4 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 David Ribbans
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam (c)
8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:
16 Mikey Haywood
17 Emmanuel Iyogun
18 Alfie Petch
19 Alex Moon
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Aaron Hinkley
22 Callum Braley
23 Fraser Dingwall

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Jack Crowley, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O'Donoghue, Peter O'Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Dave Kilcoyne, Roman Salanoa, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly

Love the decision to start Crowley at 12. I think we should absolutely get a result here. Anyone able to tell me how strong that Saints side is?
It's pretty strong from Saints.

I don't get your point though, they want this format (minus the South Africans). Less games is why we haven't returned to the 5 pools of 4.
I just said there would be a change of format. I doubt it would be a reversion to the old format but I don't think clubs are happy with this one either.

Stormers:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Damian Willemse, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Manie Libbok, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Hacjivah Dayimani, 7 Willie Engelbrecht, 6 Deon Fourie, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Steven Kitshoff (captain).

Replacements: 16 JJ Kotze, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Sazi Sandi, 19 Connor Evans, 20 Junior Pokomela, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Suleiman Hartzenberg.

Full strength apart from injuries. Let's see if manage more than 40 minutes for a change.
What happened to fassi?
I can't say. I expect he would play if available so I can only imagine injury but maybe one of the Sharks boys know?