• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup proves it's grim down south - Justin Marshall

Yeah, washed up has beens and never beens from NZ have a habit of suddenly becoming good in the superior leagues of the North.

People can say one or the other is boring but it really comes don to style, style which is determined by conditions, perhaps that is also why certain NZ players do better in the NH than the SH.
It really does not matter if both respective camps are happy and the comps serve the purpose, obviously as the HEC continues and we catch up to the SH, it will have an impact.

Yeah, washed up has beens and never beens from NZ have a habit of suddenly becoming good in the superior leagues of the North. [/b]

Hmm that is very true :wacko:

People can say one or the other is boring but it really comes don to style, style which is determined by conditions, perhaps that is also why certain NZ players do better in the NH than the SH.

[/b]
You're right, conditions play a huge role in determining the quality of the rugby.

Like surfing conditions in southern Wales are crap, therefore their pro's surfing performances will be crap.
On the other hand, surfing conditions in Jeffery's Bay and Western Australia are ideal, therefore the quality of the performance will be higher. Therefore bettering the surfers skill set and general surfing quality.
Thanks Captain, makes alot of sense.

Imagine all the surfers in southern Wales claiming they're better than all the surfers in California. HA HA, madness!

Personally I think both comps are great and I enjoy watching both :D

If anyone from the SH thinks however that the Crusaders or Bulls would just walk over the likes of Wasps, Munster, Toulouse, Leicester etc then they obviously haven't watched enough games from the HEC and would be in for quite a nasty shock.

The league format of the Super 14 to reach the semis allows for a certain leeway... that leeway isn't there in the HEC unless you're in a very easy pool but if you get drawn in a 'pool of death' then the intensity is full on from start to finish and I'm not convinced that the S14 teams would be all that prepared for what some of the NH teams bring to the table in 'must win' games.

I'm not in any way having a go at the S14 because it's a comp I love to watch and some of the rugby on show can be breathtaking at times but I do feel you guys are seriously underestimating the HEC.

If anyone from the SH thinks however that the Crusaders or Bulls would just walk over the likes of Wasps, Munster, Toulouse, Leicester etc then they obviously haven't watched enough games from the HEC and would be in for quite a nasty shock.
[/b]
Considering the Crusaders have made up a large amount of the AB team over the years...yes, I think it's appropriate...

Good points there Vambo but I'm not sure what you mean about the leeway in the S14.
How does being forced to play every team be considered leeway?
The league format imo is a good way of making sure the best teams make it to the semis.
When you have pools and several knockout stages you have situations like England playing in the WC final.

RC, thats the only response he can come up with without sounding like he is either agreeing or disagreeing with the all black great. I think he means that the whole predicament that this whole thread has put him in is pathetic.
[/b]

LOL, All Black great. As ripper said, he is hardly a favourite outside Canterbury, but I can tell you now he is not very well liked here anyway. I can't stand the prick, never have.

And ripper's argument is bang on, I find it more amusing that the bulk of you Northerner's can never see past what any of us Southern folk have to say. Instead, you call ripper's post "*****ing". Play a different tune maybe?

meh... both competitions are terrible... i dont watch either anymore.... Rugby League for me these days....

i just cant get up for rugby union at the moment... maybe when the all blacks start up again ill get back into it...'

im just rugbied out at the moment....

<div class='quotemain'>Your argument has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. The fact you've called the Heineken Cup "that league" makes it blindingly obvious than anything else you say on the matter should be disregarded as ignorant drivel.[/b]

Then you obviously didn't understand what the word was used for you bum. It emphasizes the inferiority of it... [/b][/quote]

1 - there were two words used.

2 - it isn't a league. It's a cup. Hence being called the Heineken CUP.

If you can't even understand the format of the competition what hope do you have of being to evaluate it objectively?

Good points there Vambo but I'm not sure what you mean about the leeway in the S14.
How does being forced to play every team be considered leeway?
The league format imo is a good way of making sure the best teams make it to the semis.
When you have pools and several knockout stages you have situations like England playing in the WC final.
[/b]

Hi Steve,

What I mean is that it's possible to lose a few games along the way and still make the semis... if you get drawn into a tough group in the HEC (ie this year Wasps, Munster & Clermont were all in the same pool and only Munster qualified for the knock out stages) every point is vital.
I actually disagree with Marshall and think that the HEC should be seeded but then again I also think that the Welsh and Irish teams 'qualify' far too easily in the first place but that's another argument!

The greatest game of rugby union that I've ever seen was an HEC game between Munster & Wasps.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Considering the Crusaders have made up a large amount of the AB team over the years...yes, I think it's appropriate...
[/b][/quote]

Ah... but the AB's haven't won any knockout cup comps for a while have they?
Against a veteran cup team, used to the intensity of one off cup games I'd personally be inclined to back a fair number of NH club teams against SH opposition.

Lets hope the mooted world club comp between the HEC & S14 winner comes off one day :)

I find it more amusing that the bulk of you Northerner's can never see past what any of us Southern folk have to say. Instead, you call ripper's post "*****ing". Play a different tune maybe? [/b]

Lol. That's how a bunch of us NH folk feel about you guys.

Against a veteran cup team, used to the intensity of one off cup games I'd personally be inclined to back a fair number of NH club teams against SH opposition.

Lets hope the mooted world club comp between the HEC & S14 winner comes off one day :) [/b]

in order to win the super 14 you need to win a knock out semi and a knock out final.

the crusaiders have won the super12/14 7 times and have been runners up on 2 occasions.

that means theve won 16 knock out cup games.... the buisness end of the competition is where the crusaiders step it up.....

<div class='quotemain'>

Lets hope the mooted world club comp between the HEC & S14 winner comes off one day :) [/b]

in order to win the super 14 you need to win a knock out semi and a knock out final.

the crusaiders have won the super12/14 7 times and have been runners up on 2 occasions.

that means theve won 16 knock out cup games.... the buisness end of the competition is where the crusaiders step it up.....
[/b][/quote]

Good point. Well made :)

Those 16 games are over a lot of years though aren't they?

IRB International Player Of Year:

2004 - Schalk Burger (RSA)
2005 - Dan Carter (NZ)
2006 - Richie McCaw (NZ)
2007 - Bryan Habana (RSA)
[/b]
IRB International Team Of The Year:
2004 - South Africa
2005 - New Zealand
2006 - New Zealand
2007 - South Africa

<div class='quotemain'>