• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup talks "have now ended"

Not necessarily the case. People just assume that sky throw money around, they'll only bid enough to beat the opposition. In ireland the rabo was on TG4, which basically means that RTE & TV3 weren't interested. Why? Because the viewership figures are terrible. Sky won't be paying any more then they have to to prize the rights off tg4, who operate on a tiny budget.

Not necessarily the case either way. I saw an article on another forum a while back - from the Examiner I believe - saying that Sky was likely to put in a fair bit of money so they had a better product for competing with the AP. True? I don't know.

Either way, it's a step in the right direction. We don't know how much of a step it was but it is in the right direction in terms of bumping profits. Also, Sky being Sky, they'll put some back into growing viewership figures.

Well, the point wasn't whether Johnson is a good coach or not, but rather that the Welsh regions will still be at the mercy of their own stupidity. Look at the Blues' stadium debacle over the past couple of seasons as another example.

If Johnson was a good coach, then surely it's not a good example of the Welsh regions being stupid? :p

Think you may be guilty of retroactively judging Johnson's coaching on just how bloody awful he is with Scotland at the moment.

Johnson was pretty damn poor during his time with the Ospreys, I fully agree with Feic on that. The Ospreys managed to put together a string of impressive displays together at the end of the season which resulted in them winning the league, but for most of the regular season they looked disjointed and error strewn. However, I don't blame the Ospreys for hiring him, as they were actively trying to bring in an experienced coach to get the best out of a talented squad. Very different to the likes of Baber and Burnell, Tandy, and Easturby, who were given the reigns with little coaching experience. I know money is tight, but I'd happily see the regions invest in quality coaches at the expense of a player or two if needs be.

Regarding the RCC. The headlines make it sound great for everyone, more money for all! However Sean Holley pointed out something on Scrum V that I think some people haven't realised. Yes the regions get more money, but the English and French clubs get a lot more. The regions will find it even harder to compete once wages have inflated to match. I am still very, very weary about this new competition. It's good that it's at least all sorted, but I think in a couple of years time it'll be obvious that this was a far worse deal for the Welsh regions than what they were getting in the HC.

Regarding the RCC. The headlines make it sound great for everyone, more money for all! However Sean Holley pointed out something on Scrum V that I think some people haven't realised. Yes the regions get more money, but the English and French clubs get a lot more.

That was pointed out very clearly a dozen or so pages ago!

But the usual crowd couldn't see beyond their bitterness to the facts surrounding the issue.

Not necessarily the case either way. I saw an article on another forum a while back - from the Examiner I believe - saying that Sky was likely to put in a fair bit of money so they had a better product for competing with the AP. True? I don't know..

I can't see sky pumping money into it for the sake of improving standards, they'll just hype everything to the hilt as always.

Dangerous move because while people might goto the pub to watch big European cup matches, not many people will go to that much effort to see Rabo matches, feel free to air is important for a lesser competition.

I can't see sky pumping money into it for the sake of improving standards, they'll just hype everything to the hilt as always.

F88kin WHHHHOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!

le crunch II - The fight for 11th in the pro12!
Zebre vs. Dragons - Live and exclusive on SKY SPORTS!!!!!!!!1111!!!

Dangerous move because while people might goto the pub to watch big European cup matches, not many people will go to that much effort to see Rabo matches, feel free to air is important for a lesser competition.

No more free to air though and fact teams need to qualify for Pro 12 changes it all now. Also Sky after buying eclusive rights for Top14 for next 5 years

Last edited:
I will probably be watching a lot more top14 when Sky do it - their coverage is a lot better than BT's IMO.

Agree and I believe Sky will do excellent coverage but have to ask is BT financially ok that they let this go to Sky. I know they've heaps of money but are they profitable

They have did a c*** job basically......they have put some real dummies in the studio and that is when they have deemed it necessary to show any at all.

I just think that they are "Avivaed" up and that is all they care about.......Sky have not got the same choice as between Pro2 and Top 14 as BT had with Aviva and Top 14......reckon they could have afforded to keep it but now that they have first pick of H Cup.....have they got room or inclination for any more rugby!! In any case....would not think it is expensive as other than having commentary run from their studio, their costs would be to pay for Canal + feeds.....no outside broadcast costs.

It's good that it's at least all sorted, but I think in a couple of years time it'll be obvious that this was a far worse deal for the Welsh regions than what they were getting in the HC.

Of course, the status quo could not continue with the size of the English and French TV viewing public not counting for very much. I`d expect another 're-jig' like this in a few years time, it`s called the market!:)

Latest posts