• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hooking ?

LooseHeadProp87

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
i have recently been playing at hooker to ease injury crisis in the front row my lineout throw is very solid but one thing i struggled with on occasion was hooking the ball in the scrum. has anyone got any tips for good feet position and striking the ball ?? thanks in advance.

This is what I have always been taught to do / coached / I have coached this technique also.

If you are right footed, and the ball is coming in from the left hand side of the scrum. Ensure you firstly turn your body to roughly 45 degrees, with your feet pointing in the 45 degree angle. Ensure you have a good bind under the arm pits of your props. When you crouch you should be sitting on the tight head's knee. When the ball comes into the channel, you shouldn't have to 'hook' the ball because if you stick your leg straight out on that 45 degree angle, the ball in theory should strike your boot and roll back onto your side. Once this has done, quickly adjust yourself back to facing the opposite hooker to help with the shove. IF you feel your loosehead is struggling, then stick at the 45 degree angle and continue to push.

i would have to disagree with you there Cymro, unless i'm misunderstanding that could really put some unpleasant extra pressure on you right shoulder, you would also risk getting pinged for boring in on their tighthead.

i think you need to stay as square as possible, equally distributing your weight should mean you are stable enough standing on one foot to strike freely with your left. when standing on one foot there should be a nice gap between your foot and the loosehead to channel the ball

Disagree if you want, it is how I've been coached and seen top level coaches coach it. I've never been pinged for boring, and it's a clinical way of hooking. Your foot comes out across the channel cutting the opportunity of the opposition hooker, hooking the ball.

As I said, I've spent all of my playing time in the front row so I do slightly know what I am doing I hope.

I played my entire career on the front row and trained with top coaches too etc etc

You must admit going in at a 45 degree angle doesn't sound natural and driving in on the prop is the definition of boring in

Not a big fan of doing something just because I've been told to do it

I guess it depends on your size opposed to the props on either side of you.

If you are smaller than them, then Cymro's technique is a very good way of doing it.

In my case, I was the same size in height and weight as my fellow props. And you will need to look at the way they go into the crouching position and use their positioning to benefit you. Remember that your arms are holding on to them, they are your anchors and are supposed to keep you up.

What I used to do was to let the tighthead prop bind on me first. this way, as he brings his left arm around, he basically turns me slightly into position so that my body is slightly facing the loosehead side (where the ball will be thrown in). the Loosehead will then bind but won't have such a good grip as the tighthead has, as the loosehead's arm will be over the tighthead's arm onto my waist.

Now when the pack has binded and your locks are in position behind your props, you can position yourself, as they will be able to hold you up. If you are going to hook with your right leg, then put it in front. The ref usually makes a mark where the centre of the scrum is. You as the attacking team which will have the throw in to scrum, are allowed to place your foot on that mark. Then use your left foot as your own anchor to set yourself. as you bind, try to drop your right shoulder, slightly, to give you an angle towards the loosehead's side to actually see the ball coming in. then just try to get your foot closest to the ball ahead of your opposing hooker. you don't have to hook at all, the ball will go backwards off your foot because of the angle it connects between your foot and the ball.

As for when the opposing team is throwing in, just swap the props binding around. Another handy trick, is to kick the ball instead of trying to hook it. the ball is bound to go anyways to the back of their scrum, by kicking the ball before the opposing hooker hooks it, will usually make it bump off one of the knees of the locks and bounce back to your side...

all good points and tbh i have been coached a bit of cymro's way and also a bit of jabby's way. its amazing how many of the top level hookers are struggling correct me if i am wrong but i am sure brian moore said dylan hartley dosen't hook ??

i have to say my performance in the loose has risen loads since playing hooker lots more energy in the tank

i also found i was a lot more mobile after i moved to Hooker, i was a bit smaller than my props (think jason rutledge and jamie mac) so developed open play as a fourth loosie.

just to explain my thoughts re the front row, my last year playing club rugby we had two hookers, each of us better at something than other so re rotated. he was a bit bigger and so started against the bigger packs, i was better at the actual hooking as i could strike with both feet and so got more tightheads against the smaller packs.

We came up against a team (pirates in Dunedin) that had come up with "technique" to give them the upper hand in the scrum. after the crouch they would all take half a step back in unison (not just leaning back) to get a bigger hit on us. the problem being that half the time they ended up too far from us and it collapsed. we got sick of this and started refusing to pack down when they did it as it was getting dangerous. one of these times we stood up to get it reset but because they're technique left them in no control of the hit they couldn't stop and they're hooker proceed to land his head squarely on Dan's torso...and he ended up getting bent over our locks and broke his back....in a wheelchair for the rest of of life.

They didn't plan on hurting him but they did choose to sacrifice stability and control for an advantage, scrums can be dangerous, be confident in what you are doing

ps. not saying cymro's technique is anything like what those guys did by the way

Last edited:

Latest posts