• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How many more false dawns for Scotland?

Scotland is playing catch up. They made a balls of professionalism and that set them back over a decade and they now need to close that gap. It won't be done overnight. As they're trying to catch up, other nations are getting better so it makes it harder.

I thought Scotland played some of the best rugby in this years 6 nations. They just need some more quality in the side.

Scotland is playing catch up. They made a balls of professionalism and that set them back over a decade and they now need to close that gap. It won't be done overnight. As they're trying to catch up, other nations are getting better so it makes it harder.

I thought Scotland played some of the best rugby in this years 6 nations. They just need some more quality in the side.
or simply just start finishing they're chances off as Scotland this year has created plenty chances but not finishing they're chances cost them games.

scotland definately played some great rugby but unfortunately it was mostly behind their tryline.
its about time scotland and italy were given the boot. we could have a 4 nations tournament playing home and away.
the 6 nations should not come down to who can score the most points against inferior sides.
the jocks and eyeties could have a tournament with romania and georgia.
it could be a temporary arrangement, maybe a a decade or two.
alternatively the qualification rules could be relaxed, say anyone who can pronounce and spell fissel.

scotland definately played some great rugby but unfortunately it was mostly behind their tryline.
its about time scotland and italy were given the boot. we could have a 4 nations tournament playing home and away.
the 6 nations should not come down to who can score the most points against inferior sides.
the jocks and eyeties could have a tournament with romania and georgia.
it could be a temporary arrangement, maybe a a decade or two.
alternatively the qualification rules could be relaxed, say anyone who can pronounce and spell fissel.

I know you are not being serious but, strangely, I can see the logic in that idea!!

The 6N would be dramatically improved and would give the next tier some real impetus to grow their game whilst Italy and the Picts put their houses in order without the pressure of playing with the big boys!!!!!

I know you are not being serious but, strangely, I can see the logic in that idea!!

The 6N would be dramatically improved and would give the next tier some real impetus to grow their game whilst Italy and the Picts put their houses in order without the pressure of playing with the big boys!!!!!

Might be good for Romania, and Georgia, but I think it would set back Italy and Scotland

Might be good for Romania, and Georgia, but I think it would set back Italy and Scotland

Depends, they would get a taste of winning a bit more. Part of it is mentality and the Scots and Italians don't have that same winning drive as other teams.

Depends, they would get a taste of winning a bit more. Part of it is mentality and the Scots and Italians don't have that same winning drive as other teams.

Yep, they would probably get more wins, and their confidence would probably increase, but, I think their overall playing standards would drop. I think teams usually get better by playing against stronger opposition. I'm certainly not saying they'll score wins consistently overnight, but if they can maintain a core squad, over the next few years, they are bound to improve.

It would destroy them. It would kill funding, public interest and playing standards.

It would also significantly hit the 6N in the pocket and wreck the Pro 12.

Finally, I think it would rob the 6N of its spirit. The quality of play would increase, but the quality of entertainment would drop. Although that's a subjective opinion, where as the former points are pretty much objective facts insofar as I can see.

If they have to rely on the 6N funding boost to survive year to year, perhaps there's not enough interest to keep rugby alive? Whereas Rom and Georgia are becoming self sustaining and a tournament like the 6N might allow them to truly step up to the rugby world stage?

What divine right have Scotland/Italy got to stay in the tournament, simply because it would be bad for them to get dropped?

Equally, for the Scots at least, it would mean the loss of of a huge piece of 6N history, which would need to come with it's own considerations.

It would destroy them. It would kill funding, public interest and playing standards.

It would also significantly hit the 6N in the pocket and wreck the Pro 12.

Finally, I think it would rob the 6N of its spirit. The quality of play would increase, but the quality of entertainment would drop. Although that's a subjective opinion, where as the former points are pretty much objective facts insofar as I can see.

I am not going any further with is mainly because it is all hypothetical and will never happen!

I would point out that it would not "hit the 6n in the pocket" as matches would be home and away making 6 matches rather than 5!

Latest posts