• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How many players do you think the Squad will be...?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I pick my selection on players who i think are gifted and intelligent in their decision

Hense Gavin Evans, best option if Henson doesnt go.[/b]

But in the other thread (somewhere over there <---------) you said that you wanted Hook in at 12, you mentioned Jackson from Glasgow and then said your a fan of D'Arcy who is in the tailors getting measured for his jersey ......... or sumpin like that.

Me thinks you pick your selection on a dartboard.

Is there any way to mute a poster? A kinda bullshit filter?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 6 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you've got Wayne Barnes on Sunday which is a start and tis an appropriate time of year for miracles.[/b]

Wayne "it could go either way" Barnes

Well if not miracles there could be an element of divine intervention.

Maybe the luck is on our side as St Patrick was a Welshman and so is GOD according to my Nan. And she is old enough to remember....!

And we let you win the Grandslam this time.

ha ha ha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 6 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But in the other thread (somewhere over there <---------) you said that you wanted Hook in at 12, you mentioned Jackson from Glasgow and then said your a fan of D'Arcy who is in the tailors getting measured for his jersey ......... or sumpin like that.
Me thinks you pick your selection on a dartboard.
Is there any way to mute a poster? A kinda bullshit filter?[/b]

do you have any ideas or do you spend your time reading what i wrote and commenting.

thanks for all your interest although it is a little unwanted.

I think you are a moron who watches very little rugby, so i don't know why you keep persisting with replying to my posts as i do not value your opinions at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 6 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makes no sense at all taking half a touring party full of Welsh players who couldn't even get into a side that came 4th in the 6 Nations.

You might as well take half a touring party full of Wasps players that came 10th in the GP...[/b]

I think the idea is to select the players for a squad that would be most likely to beat the Bokks.

I cant really comment much more on what you wrote, as your statement is really just another reflection of your intellect.
[/b][/quote]

My intellect? I won't get into a debate about this, you can call me as arrogant as you like but I am f***ing clever, so I'm not going to read patronising comments like that and think 'o yeah I'm a dumb motherf***er, he must be right'...

Selecting a team 'most likely to beat the Boks'... hmm. You've selected Ryan Jones at 8 when he's actually not that good, and has a reputation built entirely on a peak in form on the last Lions tour that hasn't returned, plus being part of a back row containing the genius Martyn Williams for last year's grand slam. You've selected Danny Cipriani at 10, a player who completely folded against the Boks in the autumn and has never recovered. To compound that, your Lions team has a player even less experienced at international level sitting right outside him at 12. Then, there's Tom James on the wing... who wouldn't even make the top 10 wingers in the Isles, hell, he might not even make the Scotland team.

Perhaps most pertinent is the fact that your team has 8 welsh players, and your squad has 19 out of 38 which is funny because you too are welsh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 6 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 6 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makes no sense at all taking half a touring party full of Welsh players who couldn't even get into a side that came 4th in the 6 Nations.

You might as well take half a touring party full of Wasps players that came 10th in the GP...[/b]

I think the idea is to select the players for a squad that would be most likely to beat the Bokks.

I cant really comment much more on what you wrote, as your statement is really just another reflection of your intellect.
[/b][/quote]

My intellect? I won't get into a debate about this, you can call me as arrogant as you like but I am f***ing clever, so I'm not going to read patronising comments like that and think 'o yeah I'm a dumb motherf***er, he must be right'...

Selecting a team 'most likely to beat the Boks'... hmm. You've selected Ryan Jones at 8 when he's actually not that good, and has a reputation built entirely on a peak in form on the last Lions tour that hasn't returned, plus being part of a back row containing the genius Martyn Williams for last year's grand slam. You've selected Danny Cipriani at 10, a player who completely folded against the Boks in the autumn and has never recovered. To compound that, your Lions team has a player even less experienced at international level sitting right outside him at 12. Then, there's Tom James on the wing... who wouldn't even make the top 10 wingers in the Isles, hell, he might not even make the Scotland team.

Perhaps most pertinent is the fact that your team has 8 welsh players, and your squad has 19 out of 38 which is funny because you too are welsh.
[/b][/quote]

What is your point that you disagree ?

Why dont you just post a team of your own and write why you would select those players... it is far more interesting than your opinions on players you obviously hardly watch.

The greatest thing about not being an English fan is that we have rugby on a reasonable modest BBC that covers all the home unions. Unlike Sky sports and the daily mail which cover very little.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 6 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

What is your point that you disagree ?

Why dont you just post a team of your own and write why you would select those players... it is far more interesting than your opinions on players you obviously hardly watch.

The greatest thing about not being an English fan is that we have rugby on a reasonable modest BBC that covers all the home unions. Unlike Sky sports and the daily mail which cover very little.
[/b][/quote]

1) who the f*** wants to read the daily mail. It's as bad as all the other wankrags but without the ***ties

2) this is the topic where people chose their squads, you'll notice i've posted a number of teams/ squads throughout the past year. Squad Selections

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Apr 7 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
who the f*** wants to read the daily mail. It's as bad as all the other wankrags but without the ***ties[/b]

sorry

The greatest thing about not being an English fan is that we have rugby on a reasonable modest BBC that covers all the home unions.

Unlike Sky sports and "The Sun" which cover very little.

If I was in charge:

Props:
Gethin Jenkins
Euan Murray
Adam Jones
Marcus Horan

Hookers:
Lee Mears
Jerry Flannery
Ross Ford

Second Row:
Paul O'Connell
Alun Wyn Jones
Donnacha O'Callaghan
Jason White - personal bias

Open Side:
Martyn Williams
David Wallace
Joe Worsley - not a 7, but I'll put him here to even it up, we'll need the bulk

Blind Side:
Stephen Ferris
Tom Croft
Strock

Number Eight:
Ryan Jones
Jamie Heaslip
Adam Powell - Bulk.

Scrumhalf:
Mike Blair
Mike Phillips
Tomás O'Leary

Fly Half:
Stephen Jones
Ronan O'Gara

Inside Centre:
NOT RICKY FLUTEY
Gordan D'arcy
James Hook

Outside Centre:
Brian O'Driscoll
Tom Shanklin
Jamie Roberts

Wings:
Thom Evans
Mark Cueto
Shane Williams
Luke Fitzgerald

Fullback:
Lee Byrne
Delon Armitage

Utility Backs:
Rob Kearney
I'd like to see a wildcard pick here, maybe Cipriani if his form improves, maybe he'd thrive in a hit the ground running situation.

I tried to prioritized skill over bulk, i think we are more likely to win by using intelligent rugby than having a crash ball contest.

I tried to prioritized skill over bulk, i think we are more likely to win by using intelligent rugby than having a crash ball contest.

The Reason the previous poster made that comment is that South Africa are notorious for their love of the Scrum. And Brutish forward play.

To take such a few front row forwards would mean that they would have to play too many games before the tests and may be tired before the First Test.

Taking too many players in a squad can have detrimental effects too. As players feel unwanted if they are not in contention and can cause big issues for the Squad that thy feel are jettisoning them.

A rough guess would be that the squad would be roughly around 36. Two touring teams of 15 plus a few extras who are n contention for selection.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I tried to prioritized skill over bulk, i think we are more likely to win by using intelligent rugby than having a crash ball contest.[/b]

I'd tend to agree with you there. Considering how tough the RSA team is, we're very unlikely to beat them at their own game. We'll need a very fit (seeing as 2 games will be played altitude) and intelligent team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The Reason the previous poster made that comment is that South Africa are notorious for their love of the Scrum. And Brutish forward play.

To take such a few front row forwards would mean that they would have to play too many games before the tests and may be tired before the First Test.

Taking too many players in a squad can have detrimental effects too. As players feel unwanted if they are not in contention and can cause big issues for the Squad that thy feel are jettisoning them.

A rough guess would be that the squad would be roughly around 36. Two touring teams of 15 plus a few extras who are n contention for selection.[/b]

well McGeechan has said he's taking a squad of 35, which is what he took last time round.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well McGeechan has said he's taking a squad of 35, which is what he took last time round.[/b]
There you go, a good round number, not the fifty odd that prat Woodward took.

Thank god

Did you all the staff he took last time too...?

Crazy...

Alaistar Campbell's wages alone would have almost sent Adidas Bankrupt.

Good to see common sense prevail this time, and hopefully it will keep doing so.

We have some great coaches going, a talented, proven and Charismatic leader in Geechs, and a fine ambassador in Gerald Davies.

for Woodward to win a Lions series this would have been the tour for him to go on, he never won anything at the first attempt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
for Woodward to win a Lions series this would have been the tour for him to go on, he never won anything at the first attempt.[/b]

yeah, errr, not your greatest suggestion...

i'd think i could safely say that most rugby fans outside of South Africa are very glad that Woodward has absolutely bugger all to do with the Lions.

The former England captain who is now the England Manager, Martin Johnson once famously said when asked by The Times on Sunday Rugby correspondent Steven Jones, how he would rate England's successful 2003 World Cup campaign as a percentage of player ability compared to excellent coaching, Johnson said "90% Players ability and 10% coaching". When told that Clive Woodward had been asked the same question and answered "60% Players and 40% coaching", Johnson replied "Really, I thought I was being very generous to the coaches...!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for Woodward to win a Lions series this would have been the tour for him to go on, he never won anything at the first attempt.[/b]

i'd think i could safely say that most rugby fans outside of South Africa are very glad that Woodward has absolutely bugger all to do with the Lions.

The former England captain who is now the England Manager, Martin Johnson once famously said when asked by The Times on Sunday Rugby correspondent Steven Jones, how he would rate England's successful 2003 World Cup campaign as a percentage of player ability compared to excellent coaching, Johnson said "90% Players ability and 10% coaching". When told that Clive Woodward had been asked the same question and answered "60% Players and 40% coaching", Johnson replied "Really I thought I was being very generous to the coaches...!"
[/b][/quote]

it wasn't a suggestion it was an observation, bit of a difference and as for the 10% that was mostly down to Robinson and not Woodward, also there is a question of credibility from anything written by that festering turd Jones. Any chance of a link :p ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The former England captain who is now the England Manager, Martin Johnson once famously said when asked by The Times on Sunday Rugby correspondent Steven Jones, how he would rate England's successful 2003 World Cup campaign as a percentage of player ability compared to excellent coaching, Johnson said "90% Players ability and 10% coaching". When told that Clive Woodward had been asked the same question and answered "60% Players and 40% coaching", Johnson replied "Really I thought I was being very generous to the coaches...!"
[/b][/quote]

it wasn't a suggestion it was an observation, bit of a difference and as for the 10% that was mostly down to Robinson and not Woodward, also there is a question of credibility from anything written by that festering turd Jones. Any chance of a link :p ;)
[/b][/quote]
i am trying to find one, thought you might ask...! ha ha ha

you irish must get very upset with those hypocritical welshman eh...!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 7 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GimleyUK @ Apr 6 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
i am trying to find one, thought you might ask...! ha ha ha

you irish must get very upset with those hypocritical welshman eh...!
[/b][/quote]

no just that particular one.

Latest posts