• Robbie deans

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Leon McDonald

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Steve Diamond

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
I'd rather have a coach who can win against SH opposition tbh,
Gatland was a good 6N level coach but couldn't raise his game to inter-hemisphere - considering how well he did in the 6N to have losing records against every SH side, never beat NZ and never make a RWC final is a poor return.

Whilst I think Edwards is a good defence coach, I think the cult of personality (/over exuberance of Wales Online) has raised his stocks higher than they should be.
I think him and the RFU had a falling out during his time at Wasps, or something, as well - so unlikely to ever see him working for England.

Gatland was a good 6N level coach but couldn't raise his game to inter-hemisphere - considering how well he did in the 6N to have losing records against every SH side, never beat NZ and never make a RWC final is a poor return.

Whilst I think Edwards is a good defence coach, I think the cult of personality (/over exuberance of Wales Online) has raised his stocks higher than they should be.
I think him and the RFU had a falling out during his time at Wasps, or something, as well - so unlikely to ever see him working for England.

That's a fair point re Gats SH record. Though it is worth mentioning that he turned that around in the latter years. I think we won our last 4 previous matches against SA prior to the WC and we even managed to beat Australia prior to the WC and then again in the WC group stages.

Our record against Australia was an embarrassment though. It still is even with the 2 victories we've had against them the last 2 times we've played.

I guess you'd like at least 1 win against the All Blacks but, you know, it's New Zealand.

I guess the question is, do you think under Gats your record against SH teams would be like it was with Wales in the early/mid years? I don't reckon it would to be honest.

With Edwards you could be right and we can never really tell the impact a coach is having but he seems to be having an impact for France.

I don't have a problem with him being 'dispirited' or frustrated. That would be entirely understandable and fair enough. However, if he went in expecting a guaranteed place in the 23 despite never having been involved with the senior squad in any capacity, that would have been very naive.

In fairness to him, we're only speculating on how he may feel. It's not like he's come out saying he expected to play and is hacked off. Lee Blackett's comment was entirely unhelpful though.

Mr Blackett finding out he might not be as good as first thought now that he doesn't have key men.

Whilst not England I would really really like to see Robbie Deans back in International rugby, (guy has it easy in Japan though)
I would honestly really like to see him coach a team like Samoa maybe during his time in the Top league or Tonga if they do get some of these ex AB's in their squad.

A bit random but was just looking at that list again.

Gats record with the Chiefs last year also suggests he doesn't know how to beat SH team...even domestic ones

Good hopefully he gets some serious questions about his terrible hypocrisy in selection and terrible tactics.

No Gatland option on the poll. I take it everyone would rather rub sand in their eyes than watch an England team coached by Gatland? What if you had him and Edwards?

If you had them 2 for 5 years I reckon they'd win a minimum of 2 grand slams and probably another championship or 2. You'd probably only have 1 or 2 years out of the 5 where you win nothing.
England fans don't wanna see Gats in charge... and thank gawd too, everyone else don't wanna see it either!

Has Jamie Joseph been mentioned? Any thoughts on him? Has Japan playing some fantastic rugby.....and with England he'll have the addition of a big pack.

yeah, mentioned a few pages back

interesting

I've read a few Kiwis saying they really rate him and would be annoyed if England got our hands on him instead of NZ... Any posters from the side of the world able to verify that?

Ultimately the risk is always that a NZer will come over and try to coach the team expecting a certain base level of ability and be left disappointed. Then again maybe that is down to style and the players would be able to execute a more expansive plan if that was the tactic and they were coached to do so?

I've read a few Kiwis saying they really rate him and would be annoyed if England got our hands on him instead of NZ... Any posters from the side of the world able to verify that?

Ultimately the risk is always that a NZer will come over and try to coach the team expecting a certain base level of ability and be left disappointed. Then again maybe that is down to style and the players would be able to execute a more expansive plan if that was the tactic and they were coached to do so?
yeah, i think a lot of people thought he should have got the AB's gig and a lot think fozzy wont last and so they want Razor available to take up the role. I've been much more focused on domestic stuff so would be happy enough if he went to the UK and that caused the Crusaders to drop a few games

I dont know if there is the expectation of a lower level of ability in the NH anymore, different priorities and styles maybe but i think a good coach should be able to change their style to get the best out of the player they have

And let's be honest if you picked Farrell at 1 you'd argue we have lower skills than the SH but we've got plenty of players who are just as skilful as the SH counterparts. We have tons of players who can pass...just seems Eddie doesn't like them.

Obviously Baxter, but why would he want the role? He's got a great thing going at Exeter, i don't think they'll get rid of EJ he's got to much credit in the bank from the last 2 years, but if they did bump off Eddie my money would be on Michael Chieka, he's currently doing bits with Lebanon NRL team and doing advisory roles for other RFU's. He's probably a more natural as well as safe fit for England and from what he's up to at the moment clearly available.

Obviously Baxter, but why would he want the role? He's got a great thing going at Exeter, i don't think they'll get rid of EJ he's got to much credit in the bank from the last 2 years, but if they did bump off Eddie my money would be on Michael Chieka, he's currently doing bits with Lebanon NRL team and doing advisory roles for other RFU's. He's probably a more natural as well as safe fit for England and from what he's up to at the moment clearly available.
Can't tell if joke or not...

Cheika is right down the list of one of the last people we'd want.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Latest posts