Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Robbie deans

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Leon McDonald

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Steve Diamond

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
id go after Scott Robinson, wanted the AB's job but was told he needed international experience, at the same time as saying Super rugby is as tough as international rugby...NZ Rugby say only having super experience isn't enough

Baxter all day long. Best English coach and can get an England team we'd be proud of again playing some good rugby.

Gustard, drives the players down so far that he gets sacked just before the world cup and they suddenly start playing this wonderful flowing rugby.

No idea what the right answer is but it's not Baxter until he's broadened his horizons beyond the Devon border.
And develops a different game plan than one that's doomed to fail at international level

Not saying for head coach but I think we made a big mistake not chasing after Edwards to get him involved somewhere. Big character, upbeat, demanding, experienced, English and it does seem that players buy into him. And unless his public image is manure then I doubt he's a head coach yes man.

Not saying for head coach but I think we made a big mistake not chasing after Edwards to get him involved somewhere. Big character, upbeat, demanding, experienced, English and it does seem that players buy into him. And unless his public image is manure then I doubt he's a head coach yes man.

Would be my worst nightmare Edwards taking up a job with England.

Eddie Jones is not going to get sacked. OK, performances have been poor since the RWC, but it would be grossly unfair to sack a coach with his record, not to mention massively expensive. Given the RFU coffers have been decimated by COVID-19, that is a big factor.

Yes, I'd like to see us winning and playing more attractive rugby, but there seems to be a strange expectation that Eddie is underperforming unless we win every game. That's just not realistic.

IF it does happen, my choice would be Pat Lam every day of the week. Yes, Bristol have given him a fair bit of money to build their side, but he's done just as well with the unheralded signings like Randall or Thacker as he has with the star names and his achievements at Connacht show he's very good at getting the maximum out of his players which is key as an international coach IMO. He also has his teams playing attractive rugby and knows English rugby well. What's not to like?

Baxter has done a great job with Exeter and seems like a top bloke who is able to build a great playing culture. BUT, we see very little variation from the tried and tested gameplan and that worries me. We also haven't seen him outside of the Exeter environment. I'm sure he'd be able to replicate that success again, but we haven't seen him do it.

id go after Scott Robinson, wanted the AB's job but was told he needed international experience, at the same time as saying Super rugby is as tough as international rugby...NZ Rugby say only having super experience isn't enough
How do you get international experience if your country wants you to have intenrational experience but does not want to give you international experience. Do they expect their coaches to go overseas and work there before being considered for the All Blacks?

Super rugby should be fine as its technically an International competition. I suspect they might have tried to force him to take up an assistant coach position under Foster that way the Abs win as he is forced to accept a position to gain int experience even though he has to compromise from the head coach position, which he probblably does not want.

How do you get international experience if your country wants you to have intenrational experience but does not want to give you international experience. Do they expect their coaches to go overseas and work there before being considered for the All Blacks?
By gaining international experience either as an AB assistant (like Foster), or overseas (like Hansen, Henry and Mitchel).
Yes - or at least, as an AB assistant (but both is best, like Hansen).

Eddie Jones is not going to get sacked. OK, performances have been poor since the RWC, but it would be grossly unfair to sack a coach with his record, not to mention massively expensive. Given the RFU coffers have been decimated by COVID-19, that is a big factor.
I agree he'd not getting sacked yet but at what point are performances bad enough you have to so? Essentially he has credit in the bank no doubt but it has to be rapidly running out. A 5th place 6 nations finish should be unacceptable for any English side and EJ is likely to have two even Andy Robinson managed a 4th place finish. EJ's first 5th place came off the massive winning streak, I'm unsure he has more credit this time. 2 year out from a world cup you have ask at what point do you need cut your losses.

How are we sure the RFU doesn't have the money?

I think making a World Cup final is more credit in the bank than a long winning streak.

2018 was crap but showed that he can and will re-invent the team to good effect. He has at least enough credit to show he can do that.

The RFU already had well-publicised financial issues before the pandemic. I can confidently assume they're not going to be in a better position now.

A RWC final is a hell of a lot of credit in the bank; as are some of our performances that year. Eddie has proven that he get performances such as Away to Ireland, or RWC SF again NZ. He is proven to have the capacity to do that. That counts. A lot.

2018 was poor, and visibly so for exactly the reasons Eddie told us it would be beforehand.

2021 is poor, a significant proportion of that is for exactly the reasons Eddie told us it would be beforehand (though that doesn't explain our indiscipline).
A poor run of results needs to be an actual poor run of results. Yes, we want good performance, and put more weight on that than results - but most fans don't, nor do the RFU.
Any coach deserves the chance to turn around a poor run of performances - and if it's for reasons he's explicitly told us about beforehand, then the time-frame is already set. It's not like Eddie has no idea why we're playing poorly - he explicitly told us the reason (he's got a new attack system lined up, but isn't going to put it into practice yet - partly to not show his hand, and partly because we're seeing new ref. directives, and the plan will need adjusting to that before being applied).

Robinson in contrast, had no real credit in the bank, and didn't know why we were playing badly, or what he could do about it.

We've been playing below par since January 2020 - with significant disruption from Covid; and in a way that was predicted (literally every losing RWC finalist has had a bad following year); results have started going against us for the last... 3 matches - well, 2 out of 3. Eddie has absolutely earned the right to make amends - and that doesn't mean making significant changes mid-tournament, upsetting plans, and almost certainly backfiring. For me, he gets the Summer and the Autumn do show what he said he would (an attacking plan that isn't just to hoof it and defend further up field). If there's no sign of improvement by Christmas 2021, I'll start questioning, a bad 6N '22 and I'll call for his head.

In terms of time - 2 years isn't enough time for a new coach to put new processes, and new game-plan in place, tinkered to the real world and polished in time for a RWC. We're too late to do that unless promoting from within and continuing Eddie's grand plan without Eddie.
1 year is longer than you can expect a dead-cat bounce to last if it's change for change's sake. We're too early to make the most of a bounce for just providing a change.

RFU were struggling for money before Covid stopped them allowing crowds in for rugby or concerts.

ETA: What BPM said

Last edited:

I would've taken Robertson over Pivac a few months ago. Not so keen now. Ha ha.

Stil think he's going to be a top international coach. Depending on how Scotland's games against France and Ireland I'd be very keen to see him take the job there if I was Scottish.

No way Townsend is going anywhere after beating England ...

As for Pivac, time will tell. As of right now, a lucky coach is a real asset.

Latest posts