• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones replaces Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

Straight away Australia will become a favorite for the ***le.

Think what you want about Eddie but the impact he has on teams over the first 12-18 months in incredible....and Australia have some tremendous players.

Will be interesting to see if Jones has the same sudden impact as he had with England. Yes it's risky so soon before the RWC but like Gatland's appointment with Wales there is already a familiarity there.

Good move for both IMO - favourable RWC group and hosting the Lions in 2025.

Last edited:
I reckon this is more of a move with the Lions in mind than the RWC.

When Jones took over England he took over a well built team from Lancaster but one that lacked big game mentality, ideal for Jones to makes his mark. Also, South Africa, France and Ireland were all far worse at the time and he didn't play NZ until 2018. I think he's inheriting a worse squad in a tougher international landscape but equally, targeting being the strongest team on the weak side of the draw and riding your luck a bit could result in a RWC win.

Very fun appointment now that his media soundbites will be focused away from Johnny Sexton!

Don't think he'll win the world cup but Australia will definitely be more to be messed with than before will likely get a group stage win and get the SF. Just glad most likely scenario is we'd see him in the final and honestly making him lose again would sweet for the last 3 years.

Wtf. Rennie did very well during his tenure.

The super rugby sides were absolutely atrocious, having lost something like forty straight super games to NZ sides.

Then look at all the injuries the wallabies had this year and they were still competitive.

And when they had their best players in the last few years they were very good.

Insane.

Maybe now rennie is available the all blacks can pick him up

Last edited:
Gonna be interesting watching Aus over the coming year - as mentioned above EJ is great over that initial few seasons, and could elevate Aus massively

Equally: Seen some Aussies (inc. Drew Mitchell) questioning it/saying it's not a great idea to bin off Rennie so close to the RWC, and that it's a decision from the blazers and nothing to do with the rugby

Yeah I think that's really harsh on Rennie. Thought he steadily improved the ozzies year on year and their recent autumn tour was very promising considering the injuries. It's not like they lost to Georgia and Italy at home. Guess it was more to do with the fact they really wanted Eddie. Hope he gets a good job. I'd have him at Wales after the WC if Robertson still wasn't available.

Gonna be interesting watching Aus over the coming year - as mentioned above EJ is great over that initial few seasons, and could elevate Aus massively

Equally: Seen some Aussies (inc. Drew Mitchell) questioning it/saying it's not a great idea to bin off Rennie so close to the RWC, and that it's a decision from the blazers and nothing to do with the rugby
England V Australia qtr final incoming.

England V Australia qtr final incoming.
Sadly unlikely as much as I'd enjoy it, England would have to cock up their group and Australia under EJ should put Wales, Fiji and Georgia aside. Its not like Gatland has anything like a good record against SH sides under his tenure....

Sadly unlikely as much as I'd enjoy it, England would have to cock up their group and Australia under EJ should put Wales, Fiji and Georgia aside. Its not like Gatland has anything like a good record against SH sides under his tenure....
I see this getting said a lot but it simply isn't true. We had a terrible record against NZ but a great record against SA under a Gatland and I think the last 3 times we played Australia under Gatland we beat them, 3 in a row. Admittedly it wasn't great against Australia say prior to 2018 where we always seemed to lose by a point or 2 but we turned the corner against them in the last few years before he left.

Not saying we're definitely going to beat them at the WC. History would suggest it's a 50/50 game that'll come down to a few points.

I see this getting said a lot but it simply isn't true. We had a terrible record against NZ but a great record against SA under a Gatland and I think the last 3 times we played Australia under Gatland we beat them, 3 in a row. Admittedly it wasn't great against Australia say prior to 2018 where we always seemed to lose by a point or 2 but we turned the corner against them in the last few years before he left.

Not saying we're definitely going to beat them at the WC. History would suggest it's a 50/50 game that'll come down to a few points.
Twice in the last world cup year (the third was under Pivac, do those games even count for records? ;)). Every other match was a loss.

SA your right but mainly in their we're **** before Rassie years.

Twice in the last world cup year (the third was under Pivac, do those games even count for records? ;)). Every other match was a loss.

SA your right but mainly in their we're **** before Rassie years.
Oh yeah, you're quite right, this is what happens when I just go off my memeory. We beat them just before the WC and at the WC under Gatland but those last couple of years under Gatland our record against the SH was pretty decent. Absolute **** prior to that though.

Masterstroke by Australia I reckon... the Wallabies were strong generally but now potentially much more dangerous.

I know people are split on Jones but for this current Wallabies team, i think it's a great appointment. Australia have got the talent to beat anyone - Eddie will give them the organisation and discipline they currently lack. He always gets an immediate improvement in performances with every team that he takes over. He has always overachieved at World Cups as well.

I know people are split on Jones but for this current Wallabies team, i think it's a great appointment. Australia have got the talent to beat anyone - Eddie will give them the organisation and discipline they currently lack. He always gets an immediate improvement in performances with every team that he takes over. He has always overachieved at World Cups as well.
Still think it's ridiculously harsh on Rennie. He not only got big results against big teams they nearly always put in some great performances under him as well, or at least whenever I watched them which was often.

It seems like they just didn't want to pass on Eddie. Had Jones not been available I doubt they would've sacked Rennie.

Scott Robertson to NZ, Jamie Joseph to Scotland and Rennie to Japan. That could complete the merry go round.

I have a hunch that Wales under Gatland might surprise Aus at the RWC. Gatland v Jones certainly has some spice to it.

Latest posts